Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PSV confident of keeping Kezman and Hofland

Thursday 2nd May 2002

PSV Eindhoven chairman Harry van Raaij is confident that Mateja Kezman and Kevin Hofland will stay at the club for another season after their deadline to find new sides ran out on Wednesday. "Nobody has told us about a deal," he said.

PSV took the unusual step with the in-demand duo of setting a deadline of May 1 to arrange a transfer so that they would not be left in the lurch for next season.

"In the world of football, nothing is an absolute certainty, but PSV will no longer talk to agents about these players," Van Raaij said. "It's over with all the stories, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

"We have to go on," Van Raaij added. "Where would we find replacements if players were to depart at the end of the season?"

Kezman has been linked with moves to Barcelona and Juventus, while Hofland was thought to be on his way to Manchester United, but both players are now likely to return to Eindhoven after the summer break.

Whether the same goes for Mark van Bommel remains to be seen. The PSV captain has already received an offer from Italian giants Lazio and has long been linked to English champions-elect Arsenal.

"There are a number of good clubs in England and Arsenal are one of the greatest," the Holland star said recently. "I believe my game is suited to the Premiership and that's where I want to go."

Reserve goalkeeper Patrick Lodewijks and Russia defender Yuri Nikiforov, meanwhile, bid farewell to the PSV faithful during the side's final home game against Sparta last Sunday.

Both players were denied extensions to their contracts, which run out this summer.

onefootball

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I hope this news is not true. I hope Kevin Hofland comes to Man U coz we are badly in need of a good central defender like Hofman.........:D :fero:

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Hofman? :confused: :eek:

It's of course another way of putting by Van Raaij. It's not like they'll stay cause the prospects at PSV are that good, but there are simply no teams really interested in those guys. For both I can understand it. They both had a decent season at best with Hofland making some big mistakes at crucial times.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wednesday, May 15, 2002
Barca linked with PSV duo
By Marcus Brogden

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Barcelona have edged ahead of Manchester United and English champions Arsenal in the race to snap up PSV Eindhoven's Dutch internationals Kevin Hofland and Mark van Bommel, PSV have said.
Erik Gerets, manager of PSV, who were in Bangkok for a friendly against the Thai national team which the Dutch side won 4-1, said the return of Dutchman Louis van Gaal as manager of Barcelona made a move to the Catalan side increasingly likely.

'I read all the time about Manchester United, Arsenal, and now that Van Gaal has returned, Barcelona,' Gerets said after the match.

'I'm more afraid they could go to Barcelona,' he said.

Both Hofland and van Bommel have been linked with transfers to double-winners Arsenal, who count Dutchmen Dennis Bergkamp and Giovanni van Bronkhorst in their ranks.

And Manchester United, eager to bolster their defence after the departures of Ronny Johnsen and Dennis Irwin, have expressed an interest in Hofland for over a year.

In his previous stint at Barcelona, van Gaal recruited several Dutchmen including Patrick Kluivert and Marc Overmars, who are still at the club.

PSV's director of commercial affairs A.A.F. Spooren told Reuters the club had entered into informal discussions over the two players with a Spanish and an English club on the sidelines of this week's G14 meeting, which brought together 14 of Europe's biggest clubs.

'During the meeting our president had discussions with two clubs, one English, one Spanish,' Spooren said.

The only English clubs at the meeting were Manchester United and Liverpool, while Barcelona and Real Madrid attended from Spain.

Gerets said he was increasingly resigned to losing both players, but said he had so far only received an official enquiry from Italian side Lazio.

'I hope that both of these players will stay, but in football it's always a matter of money. Today, there's a 40-percent chance they will stay but tomorrow it could be 30,' Gerets said.

soccernet

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
PSV's in shanghai now.they will play a commercial with chinese NT (although a friendly looks more like phillipe promoting in china.:eek:). i havent seen Hofland but Kezman with the delegation.

will the match boardcast in holland? the euro spectators should get to know a wc newcomer,anyway.

·
Registered
833 Posts
IMO it's highly unlikely van Gaal gets two dutchmen in right away, it will increase to his inpopularity under the fans.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i think Hofland will be ok but Kezman not.i will take a careful look of Kezman how magic the guy is.

btw,congras for VG.i like to see a new barca rebound.:D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rommedahl Wants To Link Up With Robson At Newcastle
News Archive

Rommedahl wants Newcastle move (Allsport)
05/20/2002. PSV Eindhoven winger Dennis Rommedahl has issued a 'come and get me' plea to Newcastle United boss Bobby Robson.

The Danish international played under the former England boss while he was manager of the Dutch giants in 1998

"The most beautiful thing with Robson is that he always has time for his players and that he handles them with respect and understanding," said Rommedahl.

"He is a good coach and hopefully I will get the chance to work with him again next season."

Rommedahl compares Robson to his current coach Eric Gerets: "At PSV, Gerets can sometimes be very far away from the players.

"And I always had the impression that Robson's way of working was much better to get the best out of the players," he added in Dutch newspaper Brabants Dagblad.

soccerage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts