Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would you partner with Prso? And I guess furthering that, who would you call up that hasn't been getting called?

It's not like we have a wealth of strikers available so I'd like to see Balaban called up again. Da Silva is good but he isn't ready for this. Olic is the same as usual, he can make an impact in a game (and it's surreal how he gets by people, it's like the ball is attracted to his foot and I don't mean he's a great dribbler :D) but he often misses real sitters. Klasnic has underperformed huge for the NT, I thought maybe the 2 goals against Israel might be the spark he needed but it hasn't happened, he's reminding me of Sokota at EURO.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'd still go with Klasnic. I've watched him play for club, he has quality, and I'm sure he'll start putting it together for the NT soon enough. He's only had a handfull of NT games...it's too early to say... Balaban should be around too since he is a proven goal scorer for the NT...

·
Registered
69,460 Posts
I agree with you IVO, Balaban should be called up. Also bad luck that Budan suffered a long term injury for Atalanta this season, he was in good form in Serie A before his knee injury. Olic should be used off the bench and I'd like to see Bjelanovic get more chances.
Klasnic=Henry, great for club but for country just can't perform.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Some interesting stats...

Klasnic has 4 goals in 11 games.

Prso has 8 goals in 20 games.

Balaban has 6 goals in 18 games.

Olic has 6 goals in 30 games.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Super Croat said:
Some interesting stats...

Klasnic has 4 goals in 11 games.

Prso has 8 goals in 20 games.

Balaban has 6 goals in 18 games.

Olic has 6 goals in 30 games.
I was just going to post this. This does not show that Klasnic has underperformed at all. I say give it time, because Balaban and definitely Olic have done no better.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those stats really don't mean anything since this is not a game of stats. Balaban hasn't been in the mix for years so his numbers couldn't be used anyway if we want a meaningful comparison. Only 1 of Klasnic's goals came in a competitive match and I'm pretty sure 3 of Olic's goals were in friendlies.

But besides that, we all watch the games and see how everybody performs. Prso is pretty well always solid but Klasnic hasn't shown what he has for Bremen. A player can perform for his club but that doesn't mean he's granted leniency when playing for the NT. He has to perform well here as well.

I agree that we could give him more time but only because we don't have a better alternative. I just don't want to see Klasnic continue to pull a Sokota.

·
©
7,230 Posts
I think the way Klasnic is playing and the way Sokota played at Euro2004 is a result of the midfield not functioning properly. There is hardly any service to the strikers in open play. The reason Prso is so effective is because he can create for himself constantly and can drop back effectively and get the ball, aswell as being great in the air. Klasnic is purely a finisher but he hasn't had much to finish. When he gets no service he is useless.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Klasnic scored today. So It's rather he can't play good for the NT or our midfield is not up to par. I think it's the midfield, Klasnic is a guy who greatly benefits off of short passes by playmakers (like Micoud) wheras Prso benefits from long balls (which were doing fine at) and he can create his own plays.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I just saw the highlights for the Werder Bremen-Stuttgart game. 3 out of the 4 highlights for Werder that they showed involved Klasnic, first he completely missed a shot which look liked an easy goal (to his credit it was a bouncing ball, but he should have put it away) the second highlight someone passed it to him outside the box to the inside but it was too strong and he had to do a slide shot, the goalie made a good save otherwise it would have been a goal. and the third highlight was the goal a nice 1-2 goal where he struck it home.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
yeah klasnic should play this guy is clearly quite talented. i don't think our midfieldd is operating properly in my opinion its really simple they need to get him the ball more and he will produce. I also think it is the same with niko kranjcar if we got him the ball more often he could be a threat to the oppsing team he is very dangerous with the ball at his feet.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yes...give Klasnic a chance, why not try him together with Da Silva on top, and Prso a little bit behind as an offensive midfielder/ third attacker...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
Klasnic=Henry, great for club but for country just can't perform.
There's some BIG differences here.

Henry plays with French Internationals Robert Pires and Patrick Viera and another frenchman Cygan at Arsenal notice how Pires and Viera are both midfielders who he plays with constantly and good midfielders, too. Klasnic plays with no Croatian players at Werder. (except for Banovic last year who never played)

Henry has had over 6 or 7 years to prove himself for France NT. Klasnic has had half a year.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts