Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a follower of this thread, which was about most embarassing matches, I thought it'd be neat to hear what proud moments you have with either your club or your NT.

Let us hear!

:)

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Romania 3-2 Argentina '94
Romania 2-1 England '98
Romania 3-2 England 2000

Fulham 3-2 Liverpool
Fulham 3-1 Manchester United

V

·
0 Posts
Real Madrid - Ajax 0-2 (end of 1995) after the match the Real supporters give Ajax a standing ovation, because this was the most impressive match played ever. Two goals from Ajax were not allowed, but that was wrong.

Netherlands - Argentina 2-1 (1998) the best and most exciting matchfrom the WC 1998, between the two best teams of the tournament, when we can take better penalty kicks we had one this tournament for sure

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
England 4-2 Germany 1966
England 1-0 Argentina 2002
England 4-1 Holland 1996
England 5-1 Germany 2001
England 8-0 Scotland (at Maine Road :D) some time in the 30s
England 2-0 Turkey 2003

There are many City ones, I'll try not to chat on, but will explain why.

Man City 5-1 Man United 1989 - beating local rivals 5-1, come on...

Man City 3-1 Man United 2002 - last ever derby at maine road, bragging rights again

Man City 2-1 Liverpool 2003 - the way we did it, at Anfield as well

Man City 2-1 Gornik Zabrze 1970 - Cup Winners' Cup final, nuff said

Man City 4-1 Ipswich Town 2002 - FA Cup, First Division Team beating team that relegated us season before and came 5th in the League, put us on the map as the best team in the first division for sure.

Man City 3-0 AC Milan 1978 - UEFA Cup. This was a great result having drew 3-3 at Milan to go through.

Man City 1-0 Leicester City 1969 - FA Cup Final, took us to the ECWC and also caused us to win EVERYTHING basically between 68-72 (FA Cup, League Cup, League, ECWC, Charity Shield) Too bad UEFA Cup and European CUp eluded us.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Udinese-Ajax 2-1 (04/11/1997)
25' Poggi , 32' Bierhoff

Bayer Leverkusen-Udinese 1-2 (09/12/1999)
9' Margiotta, 18' Margiotta, 21' Ballack
(...so u can see why i love Margiotta!)

Milan-Udinese 2-3 (27/01/2002)
5' pen Shevchenko, 13'Serginho, 33'Muzzi, 52'Scarlato, 78' Jorgensen

Milan-Udinese 1-2 (21/12/03)
2'Fava,51'Sensini,'70 Cafu

Udinese-Inter3-02(02/10/2000
28'Fiore,46'Muzzi,90'Iaquinta

Galles-Russia 0-1(19/11/2003)
22' Evseev

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Athletic Club 12-1 FC Barcelona:cool:

The record in La Liga, I can´t remember the goals well, it was a while ago..........about 1930 or so.:D

Now to the present..:D

Last season: Athletic 3-0 Real Sociedad

It was their first loss of the season after 19 games without loosing, not bad. And Etxeberria scoring 2 and assisting the other, now that hurted!:devil:

The best memory I have probably is the UEFA Cup leg against Newcastle. Kevin Keagan´s team was the leader of EPL by that time and we had a lot of injuries, we played a lot of players from the B team. Athletic was down 3-0 in St. James Park when suddenly in the last 10 minutes Gontzal Suances entered the field, he was around 18 or so, he had never played for the first team...he scored one goal and assisted another.:cool: Then we won 1-0 in San Mamés and passed the leg, noone could believe it. Not only the games, but the relationship between the fans and the clubs was great, Keagan had very nice words for Athletic and its fans.:) Suances didn´t turn to be a star or anything like that, he passed his career in Segunda and Segunda B, but man he was a hero that night!:strong:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Germany 1 - 5 England (2001)
England 1 - 0 Argentina (2002)
England 4 - 1 Holland (1996)
England 2 - 0 Turkey (2003)

Newcastle 5 - 0 Manchester United (1996)
Newcastle 3 - 2 Barcelona (1997) (CL)
Feyenoord 2 - 3 Newcastle (2002) (CL)
Newcastle 1 - 0 Juventus (2002) (CL)
Newcastle 4 - 3 Manchester United (2001)
Arsenal 1 - 3 Newcastle (2001)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A great deal of you name matches from decades ago - which I guess you haven't lived to see - and that wasn't really the intention with this thread. Not saying that you have to have attended the matches you name or anything, but at least experienced them, so to speak, and not only read about or seen clips from them. TV-matches is of course also what I was thinking about, since that also can be a very proud experience with ones team. Oh, what the heck. :)

Well, some of my proudest moments with the club that I favour and love is - which I have lived to experience (;)):

UEFA Cup '96: Karlsruher SC - Brøndby 0-5
We'd lost the 1st leg at home 3-1 and were actually completely outclassed in that match. The away match is definitely one of most amazing and extraordinary matches, I've ever seen - what a U-turn! Didn't attend this match, sadly enough. :)

CL '98: Brøndby - Bayern München 2-1
Great, great match and what a finish by Allan Ravn in the 90th minute! We'd come back from a goal down, and that amazing long shot from a very tired Allan Ravn made everyone go crazy in several minutes after the goal and the final whistle! We'd beaten the finalists of that year. We would later see a major thrashing by especially Man Utd (2-6 & 0-5), but three points from a group consisting of Barca, Bayern and Man Utd isn't that bad, eh. ;)

UEFA Cup '01: Brøndby - Varteks 5-0
Varteks who'd just thrashed Aston Villa in the 2nd round, plus we'd lost the firstl leg in Croatia 3-1, and it seemed to be more than a tough job to go through. We managed to win and go through and that by 5 goals and an amazing all-round performance. A match that obviously reminded a few about the Karslruher match years earlier ...
The atmosphere and the support the team got from only about 8,000 spectators (sounded like 20,000 - at least!) was simply one of the best things I've experienced as a fan. Standing (yes, not sitting ;)) there in the middle of thousands of people, who showed how real passion for a club should be expressed, no matter the result of the first match and having a tough job in hand. AMAZING! :proud:

UEFA Cup '03: Brøndby - Schalke 04 2-1 and victory on penalties
We'd lost the first encounter 2-1, and of course had a decent chance of progressing, still keeping in mind that it'll take more than a good performance. The match itself wasn't all that pretty or well played, but the fight between the 22 players certainly paid for it. The penalty shootout is of course quite 50/50, but still exciting as hell! Karim Zaza saved 3 german shots (one of them going over the bar, though) and was clearly man of the match. Now Barca awaits - will it once again show to be an amazing result for us? :strong: :)

There are lots of proud moments from Danish league matches to pick from, but that'll be another time.

Cheers.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Lazio
97-98: We beat roma four times in the same season! 3-1, 4-1, 2-1, 2-0

98: Lazio - Sampdoria 5-2
Mihajlovic scored a hattrick on freekicks. :eek:

99: Lazio - Mallorca 2-1
Won us the last ever Cup Winners' Cup. :)

00: Lazio - Reggina 3-0
That game and a little help from Perugia won us the first Championship in 26 years. :happy:

01: FC København - Lazio 2-1
We lost but I finally got to see my heroes live. :happy:

Denmark
1992: Denmark - Germany 2-0
European Champions. First and only time so far :)

93: Denmark - Spain 1-0
I saw my NT play live for the first time. :)

M

·
0 Posts
England 4 Germany 2 1966
England 5 Germany 1 2001
England 1 Argentina 0 2002
England 4 Holland 1 1996

There are probably some more moments I can't think of right now, but that'll do. :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Salgueiros 0-4 sporting first championship in 18 years after that match:happy: (2000)

Real Madrid 1-0 Sporting(1994) best european match for sporting...we were very unlucky....the big sporting of Figo,Balakov,Amunike,Naybet and Juskowiak

other portuguese clubs in europe

Werder Bremen 0-5 FC Porto
Leverkusen 4-4 Benfica
FC Porto 4-1 Lazio

the ridiculous match

Celta 7-0 Benfica
:dazed:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're a strange bloke, Balakov. :tongue:

Well, it's actually quite normal to hear fans also supporting - well maybe not supporting, but wishing that the other clubs do well as well in Europe.

I must admit I don't really care if another Danish team does well, but when it comes to rivals FCK (FC Copenhagen) I certainly wouldn't feel proud even if they won the Champions League or UEFA Cup! No way! :fero:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Barcelona 5-0 Real Madrid (1994) - It was the orgasm of the Dream Team, hat-trick by Romario + Ivan Iglesias + Koeman.

Barcelona 5-4 Atlético Madrid (1996) It was a Copa del Rey match. We draw 1-1 in Madrid and we were losing 0-3 in the hlaf time. Then I recall the best Ronaldo match in his life. It was unstoppable. He scored 3 goals. A great match for both sides.

Barcelona 3-0 Porto (1994) It was the semifinals of the CL, we lost the final against Milan. Barça played great that day. One of the best matches of the Dream Team.

Barcelona 3-2 Betis (1996) It was the final of the Copa del Rey, Barça did in the ay beautiful, but it was full of passion... and we won in the Bernabeu. :D

Barcelona 4-0 Manchester United (1995) One of the last good matches of Cruyff's Barça.

Real Madrid 2-3 Barcelona (1997) Giovanni..1,2,3 "botifarra del pagés" :D

The NT

As i don't have many things to recall...

Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia (2000) Last Euro 2000, it was a really good match.

Spain 9-0 Austria (1999) Spain played amazing. Austria is nothing special, but it's not easy to score them 9.

Spain 3-2 Poland (1992) The final of the Olympic Games in Barcelona. Great match of the Gold generation (Guardiola, Kiko, Alfonso, Abelardo, Luis Enrique, Ferrer, Toni, Cañizares,...)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts