Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE Prosinecki set for £7.5m payday in Japan

Saturday 13th April 2002

Croatia midfielder Robert Prosinecki has set his heart on a move to Japanese club Grampus Eight.

"I've been negotiating with them the whole week, but Portsmouth are holding their ground and not letting me leave easily," he told onefootball.com.

"However, I think we are close to finishing a deal," he added.

Officials from the Japanese club will travel to Croatia's friendly with Bosnia to tie up the loose strings next week.

Prosinecki, who joined English First Division side Portsmouth last summer, is set to agree to a three-year contract worth £7.5 million with the club made famous in England when Gary Lineker signed for them in 1992.

The move will be a final pay-day for the veteran play-maker, whose career has been somewhat blighted by injury since winning the European Cup with Red Star Belgrade in 1991.

"I can confirm that the offer from Japan is really good, especially financially," he said. "But the money is not so important for me this time - I'm curious about playing on the other side of the world. I would only play a season or two until the end of my career.

"It also depends on what my family say, but I don't see them having any problem with moving to Japan," he added.

Prosinecki, who has played for both Barcelona and Real Madrid, will be a central figure in Croatia's World Cup campaign this summer.

Due to the advanced stage of the negotiations, Saturday's game against Watford at Fratton Park could very well be his last in a Portsmouth shirt.

onefootball

·
Registered
36,388 Posts
ah crap, I was hoping he'd sign for Juventus or Munich :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
kurac Prosi is curious in playing on the other side of the world....i'd go anywhere for a $20million payday. If he does go to Japan, then i'l be expecting Prosi to grace the best football ground in Australia.....Edensor Park! :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
placebo said:
If he does go to Japan, then i'l be expecting Prosi to grace the best football ground in Australia.....Edensor Park! :D
Hehe good call placebo :)

Im sure Asanovic would have recommended it highly ;)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hmm

:eek: :( To bad he only sees the money......I thought he would play in Premier League the next season, in a better team....

I think he still has 1-2 good years on highest level.:depress: :(

·
International
8,545 Posts
It's hard to turn down an offer like that....in Japan we won't hear much of him. You hear news about players there but obviously not as much news as we'd hear if he was still in Europe.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Carson35 said:
But the money is not so important for me this time - I'm curious about playing on the other side of the world. I would only play a season or two until the end of my career.
Right, whatever.... ;)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Re: Hmm

boksic said:
:eek: :( To bad he only sees the money......I thought he would play in Premier League the next season, in a better team....

I think he still has 1-2 good years on highest level.:depress: :(
dude... Robi was called an old man when he was 28... now, he is equivalent of 36 yr old player... ;-)

but hey, smoking and drinking dont matter ;-)

·
Registered
36,388 Posts
That's our misguided press for you man, they write off everyone at age 28, while other NT's are winning championships with players older than that. A player can still be in his prime at 31 or 32..even later.

SN's and sportnet.hr's Drazen Patarcic and some others wrote excellent articles about our press' pessimistic views of Croatian football, and Croatian affairs in general.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Whenever there is an opportunity to be negative the Cro media take it 100%!!:( Unfortunantley they do more harm than good most of the time but it will never change.

As for Prosinecki, he is money hungry and has always been so I am not suprised to see this. I hope the day comes when players will finish their careers off in Cro............. I might be waiting a while.

·
International
8,545 Posts
It is confirmed that Prosinecki is on his way to Japan.

PROSINEÈKI PRESELIO U JAPAN
Ponedjeljak, 22.Travanj 2002 - 19:44

Robert Prosineèki odigrao je u nedjelju posljednju utakmicu za Portsmouth, a u utorak bi trebao preseliti u redove japanskog prvoligaša Nagoye Grampus Eight. Prosineèki æe najvjerojatnije potpisati jednogodišnji ugovor, uz moguænost produžetka za još jednu godinu. Tekuæe japansko prvenstvo završit æe još ovog mjeseca, tako da æe Prosineèki prvu službenu utakmicu za novi klub odigrati tek sljedeæe sezone koja poèinje nakon završetka Svjetskog nogometnog prvenstva. Nema sumnji kako æe Hrvatska reprezentacija u Japanu upravo zbog njega imati na tisuæe navijaèa više. "Žao mi je što odlazim iz Portsomutha, pogotovo zbog odliènih navijaèa na Fratton Parku. Oni æe mi ostati u sjeæanju dugo vremena", rekao je Prosineèki na oproštaju.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Re: Re: Hmm

spwolf said:

dude... Robi was called an old man when he was 28... now, he is equivalent of 36 yr old player... ;-)

but hey, smoking and drinking dont matter ;-)
Yeah.......Like Sliskovic in his best days............

40 cigareta i 40 kava na dan......;)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
In 1991 he was the best player on the planet.
To bad that him and Blazevic had this bad blood.
I still think that with Prosinecki we would beat yugo in Zagreb.

pozdravlja vas svih,majstor...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts