Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reuters) - Croatia's playmaker Robert Prosinecki does not see his side among the favourites to reach the semi-finals, as they did in 1998, but believes Croatia are in good shape.

'It's always the same four or five names. For me, the favourites are Argentina, France, Brazil and Italy, with England, Portugal and Spain able to stage a surprise,' said the 33-year old midfielder, whose previous clubs include Real Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla.

He said the squad, which left for Japan at the weekend after a week of training in the Austrian Alps, had other qualities to compensate for the loss of several key players who have retired since finishing third at the 1998 World Cup in France.

Former skipper Zvonimir Boban and defenders Slaven Bilic and Igor Stimac while younger players such as Juventus' Igor Tudor, Bayer Leverkusen's Boris Zivkovic and Hajduk Split keeper Stipe Pletikosa have become regulars.

'These new guys are feisty, have stamina, aggression and speed. We worked perfectly (last week) and will polish up the form and add tactical details in the next 20 days, and that should suffice,' he said.

'Personally, I have rarely been in better shape, the injury-prone veteran said, adding he was negotiating another contract with England first division side Portsmouth after talks with Japanese clubs fell through.

Croatia play their opening game against Mexico on June 3.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Robi is always realistic, heck, he accurately predicted the 5-0 thrashing of yugo champs Partizan :tongue: :tongue: :D

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
I'd like to see how he measures one's fitness. :tongue:

Honestly though I've seen some highlights of him this year and he looked in decent shape..................for Bobi that is.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree, he is definately being realistic, but at the same time he shouldn't be damping our spirits. Who knows, after the first round anything can happen. Again, I repeat, the first game is the most important for us! We simply have to beat the Mexicans! If we can beat them, I honestly think we will go on a roll just like we did in 98. As the tourney progresses our players will get more pumped and motivated, but boze sacuvaj if we slip up the first game, it's curtains for us! Naprid Kockasti!

·
International
8,545 Posts
Yeah it depends on who writes the article and the message they want to get across. I read the BBC story as well and it paints a different picture.

We're not as good as we were at France98 so for any of our players to say that we prolly won't repeat that performance, it doesn't dampen the expectations because we really can't expect to repeat it.

Of course it's always possible for us to get to the semi's again but it's possible for Ireland to do the same, however nobody expects that either.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
IVO said:
Of course it's always possible for us to get to the semi's again but it's possible for Ireland to do the same, however nobody expects that either.
dont you think that we have better chance to reach semi's than Ireland?

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
...........it starts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
NEKA PATI,KOGA SMETA
HRVATSKA JE PRVAK SVIJETA////////////////////
I HAJDUK IDE U KUP UEFA

odan Domovini Hrvatskoj

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
here we go... :D

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Veliki Hrvatski pozdrav bratu Eri...

OD MAJSTORA.......................................

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
ma pozdravlja Ero tebe prijatelju !

NAPRID VATRENI !

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Majstor...don't trust Ero...always remember the saying..."never trust a man who can't spell....":D or is it, "Never trust a man who doesn't drink.." woops than that would be me...:D

Sorry Ero, my appologies....:D :D

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
THEY'RE TYPOS !!!! DAMN IT !! TYPOS YOU SPOON !!!

;)

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Well how then, do you explain Biban? How Jure....HOW !!

:)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Well...its simple..you did say he was your hero!! Plus I know you have a small aversion to Zmijavcani.....:D I think we bother you to much.....don't know how but I guess we do...:D :D

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Ero, you've been taking this too long. JureM makes just as many "typos" as you do. You just don't pay attention.

Case in point:

JureM said:
woops than that would be me...:D
Check any thread and you can find them in most people's posts but JureM actually can compete with you:tongue: :) ;)

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I seriously have never heard of the grrat city of Zmijavci, though I do hear it was uncluded in U2's tour of Europe in 1999

Madrid
Paris
London
Munich
Zmijavci
Rome

;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts