Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was much talk on this board about Totti being too much of a prima donna to participate in defense. However, it seemed to me that Totti really gave 100% on both sides of the ball the other night. He may have run as much as anybody but Tomassi.

On the other hand, DelPiero did nothing with the time he was given. It bothered me that he appeared to just loaf out there. Usually a sub come in and you can tell that he has the freshest legs on the field. A sub usually comes in and provides energy. At least DiLivio was hustling. DelPiero was trotting around like he had already put in 60 minutes.

Giorgio Chinaglia was doing the color commentary on ESPN and he said "DelPiero has to perform well to win back the Italian fan base, nothing else matters but performance". Then the first touch by DelPiero, he blasts a totally misdirected shot way out of bounds. Giorgio immediately says "He won't win any support like that!".

I just want to see Montella come on, he must be so anxious to prove Trap wrong that he should be fanatical out there.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Baresi, were you actually watching the game??? sure Del Piero didnt look impressive and he has to prove himself to the fans etc....but the sub of di livio and guttuso was meant to end the game 2-0 like it did.

When del piero came on, he had no service, and every ball he recieved, was at the half way line. italy were not attacking, they just wanted to end the game.

thats just bull****, what did you want from him??? should he have gone in defence and dribbled the whole equador team to score???

and di livio got the ball, ran up the left wing, and then turned around and passed it back to maldini about 5 times in a row. maybe if he tried to pass to del piero or vieri in those 30 mins his was on, del piero would have shown more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CUG,

Take it easy fellow. I saw what alot of other people saw. DelPiero loafed around and didn't show any zeal. Yes, the team was in defensive posture and milking the clock, but if DP wanted to impress he could have shown more effort. A striker has to work to find space for others to pass him the ball. He has to move without the ball. He has to make it easier for his teammates to feed him the ball. I'm sure Trap didn't send him out there with instructions "Whatever you do, do not score or attempt to score".

DP did not show any of that and in his touches he did not exhibit any of the flair that Totti showed every time he touched the ball. Secondly, a sub who is fighting for time should be sufficiently motivated to impress, regardless of the rest of the team's attitude.

I am not a DP fan or a Totti fan or any particular player. I go by what i see. I hope that DP has many stellar games in this tournament and beyond. I just didn't see him display anything noteworthy.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
baresi said:
Giorgio Chinaglia was doing the color commentary on ESPN
Chinaglia does the commentry on ESPN? That's cool! What happened with Tommy Smith and that other idiot that does the basketball aswell?

CUG, I think that what Baresi was trying to say is that Del Piero showed no enthusiasm when he came on the field and I noticed it too. I taped the match and watched it again last night and of all the passes Del Piero made only one met a player in a blue shirt!!! That's shocking!
I don't think anyone was expecting Del Piero to come on and score at that stage of the game but to play a heartless game like that is very disappointing. Especially if he wants to get into the first team and after he said 'This will be my world cup' :rollani:
To speak of other attackers I have seen Montella and Delvecchio come on late in games and look 1000X more willing and 1000X more dangerous. And in most of those occasions they came on not for the last 20 minutes of the game but the last 5!!!! Also they weren't world cup games for them but it was qualifiers and friendlies!!!
Like I said in the match thread, to me it looks like Del Piero hasn't changed one bit since we last saw him. I don't think it was ever his injury or anything physical that was his problem, it is and has always been his mentality. The other players come into the games like raging bulls but he runs around like a lifeless dummy.
I know that he will get atleast another couple of chances to play and will probably also start a match and I hope that he will be able to show us something different in those times as much as I doubt it.
I also hope that Vince will get to play aswell because I know that he is dying to and he deserves it asmuch as anyone. You watch that if Montella gets even just the last 5 minutes of a game he will come into the game like he is entering a world cup final, 100000000000 times more pumped than Del Piero was on monday night. He too won't get service from other players but he'll atleast try to do something himself and will definitely complete more than 1 pass!
To keep Montella on the bench after his last 3 seasons is just CRIMINAL!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
CUG, you know how I support Del Piero. But I expect to see the Del Piero who won the scudetto and has played so impressively the last games in the Serie A. Such a Del Piero alongside Totti and Vieri can make us beat every team.

But what he did against Ecuador was shameful, especially for al the Del Piero fans who were cheering him in the stadium. But I have to say that the pass to zambrotta was a fine one.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
fellas, i totally agree with you on his enthusiasm, it was shocking. But like i said, i think he was upset cuz he knows that when he got put on, there was nothing for him. and he had to prove himself without any help etc......which is lil harsh on him i feel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts