Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Firenze said:
A striker who isn't natural...Didn't you read the statement!??

by your definition Murphy is a natural strker then - never misses a PK. :D

bring Ronaldo under gh's shackles and after a while you'll see that he isn't a natural born striker either. ;)

D

·
0 Posts
he is a natural striker, but not a natural finisher, the way Fowler is. He has to work at his game more.

Ronaldo has missed a lot of pens in his career as well, you'd hardly say he's not a natural striker

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
just cuz u can hit a dead ball doesn't mean u're a natural striker. is becks a striker? no. u shoulda just said he was a bad pk taker, which statistics prove is true.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Since when has scoring penalties been the measure of a natural striker?! Vieri, Raul and Sheva rarely take spot kicks.. does that make them less natural strikers than Henry, RVN and Shearer?!! I think not..

Owen is starting to remind me of Shaq!! Shaq scores bundles of points.. but could be the worst free throw shooter in the NBA.. same as Owen, scores and is our top striker.. but has a lousy penalty scoring record.. only difference is in football, we have the choice of WHO to shoot the spot kick..

I agree with those who think the thread should be "Owen is not a natrual penalty taker" cuz he isn't.. or "Why is Owen taking the penalties" cuz I honestly don't know!! Murphy is an excellent penalty taker.. but other than that, his contribution to the team is low (If it was baseball, I'd use him as a designated hitter :D)..

With Murphy out of the side.. I'd say it's between Hamann, Kewell or Gerrard.. with my vote going to Hamann.. mainly cuz he's our best cool-headed player.. so I think he'd manage the situation correctly..

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Complete nonsense. He's a terrible penalty taker. What does it have to do with him being natural striker as Yasir said?

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I meant was that it was further proof that owen isn't a natural, I didn't mean that it was the ONLY proof.

There's more proof. Just watch him in front of goal, he's more hesitant than andy cole!...maybe I'm being harsh but he isn't a natural. That penalty average is terrible though!

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
Murphy should take them , he has to be possibly one of the worlds top 5 pk takers .... I swear when he shoots u know the keeper has no chance.

D

·
0 Posts
Murphy shouldn't even be in the team!! he's crap.

Hamann, Gerrard, Kewell, or LeTallac should take them.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Firenze said:
What I meant was that it was further proof that owen isn't a natural, I didn't mean that it was the ONLY proof.

There's more proof. Just watch him in front of goal, he's more hesitant than andy cole!...maybe I'm being harsh but he isn't a natural. That penalty average is terrible though!
I really love it when people come up with these out of the blue statements.. Ok.. where do I start:

1. U ONLY presented the penalty point as your basis for the "Owen is not a natural striker" theory.. which is BS if u ask me.. a top striker doesn't have to be a good penalty or dead ball taker.. or else Chilavert would be a World Class Striker! :)

2. I believe Owen has the potential to become something really special.. in terms of being "natural" or not (however u might define that), I believe he is.. anyone who's seen Owen during his first 4 seasons with us would say the same.. Owen this year is slightly different.. u could say last year too.. Why? Well I believe the fact that the plan or strategy Liverpool are using simply puts way too much pressure on him.. it's simply Owen or bust.. especially with heskey a supplier (that big jump and nod of the ball is supposed to create a chance for Owen).. The long balls are all in an attempt to get a defender to make a mistake so Owen capitalizes.. and so on.. throw in the penalties too.. and u'd see that the future of the club kinda hangs on his shoulders.. that's a bit too much for him if u ask me.. If u look at the other excellent or top class strikers (where Owen is and where he can get to).. u'd never find any of them playing in a team the solely depends on them.. That's why I think he was on fire during the treble season (when he was not injured) as heskey was a threat, Fowler was a threat.. and our midfield was scoring loads of goals (Murphy, Gerrard, McAllister at the end of the season)..

In general, I believe if our fortunes start to change.. and the approach we're using changes (can't see it happening unless we start getting better players or the team confidence rockets to the sky for a reason or another).. U'd be seeing a totally different Owen..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts