Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the main arguments against serie A was that it's a one horse race.
The last few weeks have showed that it's all but a one horse race and so "someone" has preferred to say that it's a no horse race, the best donkey will win it.
Another argument is that the English clubs always kick the Italian clubs asses. Forget the scores and forget the referees, were the Italian clubs that bad in the first leg of the eightfinals of CL? Was the duo Inter/Milan so much inferior to their EPL counterparts?
The final argument is that the quality of the mid-low table teams is lower in serie A. And that doesn't even need to be proved, whoever watches serie A knows that no opponent is a walk in the park.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Italian football still has quality, there is some problem in Europe though as they should be doing better than they are, but generally the last couple years have shown that Italian teams certainly do not get an easy draw at all. Maybe 1 year when they get some luck with this they will go further in the competitions (this year is not over yet of course).

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
I don't think this seasons performances in Europe should be used as a way to square away dismal performances...I agree there is a certain amount of underachievement.

That being said...I also believe that English and to a certain extent Spanish clubs value CL higher than their respective leagues and cup and this attitude seeps right down to the supporters.

All the Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea fans I know in RL would sacrifice league and cup wins if it mean't progression in CL. Some have even told me on many occasions they couldn't give a damn about the league it's only an obstacle for their club which they have to hurdle every season to qualify for.

I have spoken to very few if any fans of La Liga or Serie A who would be willing to extend that same amount of attitude...it's still a cumulative attitude.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
The main problem with Italian football for me is the refereeing decisions. You should expect at least 1 penalty and 1 red card per match which is mental.

·
Registered
32,278 Posts
Where do those EPL fans come from that you know, Gaga?

I very much doubt it's the prevailing attitude among English fans at least. United fans (in England, at least) would happily trade another CL for a 19th Championship (surpassing Liverpool) and so would Alex Ferg.

The FA Cup, sure, but let's not talk about Coppa Italia then.

At Inter the whole club is mad about "champions".

Inter did well last night, but let's not get too carried away. Chelsea are rocked by off-field scandals, were without a handful of their best players, and were robbed of a penalty, yet still came out with a very acceptable result.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Every league is a two horse race and maybe a third. Serie A is Inter and then three or four teams on their heels. Remove the Caliopoli thing and the after effects and Inter is not so far ahead as now.

People diss Serie A because they can. It is popular to take potshots at something or someone who had been top dog for so long. Serie A has declined a bit but it is hardly crap. That would simply be the usual XT exagerations.

·
Registered
32,278 Posts
Deano, as for the draws, yes, Fiorentina were unlucky to draw Bayern, but mostly the Italian clubs have "made their own luck" by finishing 2nd even in winnable groups. And by not guaranteeing for themselves the necessary coefficients in view of the group draws.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I don't think this seasons performances in Europe should be used as a way to square away dismal performances...I agree there is a certain amount of underachievement.

That being said...I also believe that English and to a certain extent Spanish clubs value CL higher than their respective leagues and cup and this attitude seeps right down to the supporters.

All the Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea fans I know in RL would sacrifice league and cup wins if it mean't progression in CL. Some have even told me on many occasions they couldn't give a damn about the league it's only an obstacle for their club which they have to hurdle every season to qualify for.

I have spoken to very few if any fans of La Liga or Serie A who would be willing to extend that same amount of attitude...it's still a cumulative attitude.
No GaGa. It's the opposite.

Back in the day when we used to whoop every team, none of our teams gave a shit about Champions League. The only thing teams were interested in winning was the Serie A. That was what made us such a strong footballing set of units. We would put no pressure on ourselves to win European Cups. And as such, players relaxed, played their football and won games without much trouble. We used to enjoy our football. We used to enjoy our little defensive tactics and later whacking them with so much of our attacking talent.

The mentality has now shifted. Every team in Serie A now puts so much emphasis on success in Europe that we shoot ourselves in the foot. We jinx ourselves, we think English teams are better than they actually are. Inter are a top class side. I don't care what anyone says - they have top players and a selection good enough to beat any team any day and yet they always fall short in Europe. They pathetically defended their goal line last night in a desparate attempt to prove they could win. I saw the fantastic Sneijder trailing back with a bunch of top class players putting in so much effort to keep Chelsea away...at home

This is what's wrong with Italian football.

We think that we don't have what it takes anymore and conceed power to the English. Notice we don't do this with other teams. Fair enough, Inter lost to Unirea, but they also beat Barcelona, so they can't be that s**t. Roma beat Real Madrid last year. I'm sure there are other examples. Fiorentina weren't expecting to beat Liverpool this year, we just played our football, that's all.

We need to take back our power and our belief in our players. We think we're not good enough anymore, how on Earth did this happen anyway? I think it was the Calciopoli scandal that did it. It took away our credibility and fans around Europe reacted badly to it as well as fans in Italy and it destabilised our mentality even though Italy won the World Cup and Milan won the Champions League, the repercussions (points deductions etc) carried a massive knock on effect. No more!

F*** Chelsea, F*** Man Utd and F*** Arsenal.... F*** Liverpool too.

We should not buy into this 'English football is the best' crap. All we have to do is get out there and play some football. The results will come naturally. Not enough of our teams are doing that.

The time has come to turn our noses at them once again.

·
Registered
32,278 Posts
Olimpico or San Siro is basically only ever full when Barca, Madrid, or one from the big 4 visit.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Where do those EPL fans come from that you know, Gaga?
All over...

I do contractual work all over England, Wales and Scotland.

I also use to be a steward at Highbury, Emirates, Stamford Bridge and New Wembley Stadium.

Over the years I have witnessed much change in attitude towards the league and europe...each passing year I saw an increased emphasis of the importance of europe and qualifying. This ofcourse went hand in hand with what the clubs would say in their programmes and other club publications...Arsenal especially would explicitly state how much Europe means to them because of the Emirates, the level of debt and how the revenue stream from CL is vital to the future of Arsenal. This stuff is read by Arsenal fans it filters down...it's down purposely to make fans buy into it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Gaga is partially right. Of course these teams still want to win the league (arsenal for instance) but you can see by the European nights the atmosphere and occasion is much more for them.

·
Registered
59,074 Posts
European nights at the Lane are always special. That said I guess Spurs are more of a Cup side.

Serie A definitely hasn't disgraced itself this year. Fiorentina, despite not having a great year in Serie A, were unlucky to lose against Bayern.

I just wish AS Roma had more money. Same with Lazio and Sampdoria. Those were the days but hey if they can nurture top quality youngsters, then that's good too.

ps views on Sneijder so far? I really think he's done well

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
European nights at the Lane are always special. That said I guess Spurs are more of a Cup side.

Serie A definitely hasn't disgraced itself this year. Fiorentina, despite not having a great year in Serie A, were unlucky to lose against Bayern.

I just wish AS Roma had more money. Same with Lazio and Sampdoria. Those were the days but hey if they can nurture top quality youngsters, then that's good too.

ps views on Sneijder so far? I really think he's done well
Isn't the whole Spurs mythology built around them being exclusively a cup side? When was the last time you were in Europe, btw?

Re: Sneijder. He's been better than I expected him to be, he's been a great addition to Inter.

·
Registered
17,129 Posts
Serie A doesn't look too bad because the EPL sides diminished in quality this year, and the same is true in Spain.

Man Utd - lost their best player and it shows
Chelsea - getting old and physical superiority is getting more difficult, the core has always been formed by hacks anyway (getting old happens to everyone)
Liverpool - shit team now
Arsenal - haven't watched these guys play in 5 years

Barcelona - not on form this season
Real Madrid - trying hard but not there yet

But let's not kid ourselves, the Milan team we see is even older than Chelsea, even less hard-working, etc. Juventus is a Europa League club and Roma has no money. It's possible to make the leap forward with a good rejuvinating summer market.

So all in all, Serie A is not bad compared to the other leagues. Thanks to the overall decreasing quality of top football teams this year.

·
Registered
59,074 Posts
Isn't the whole Spurs mythology built around them being exclusively a cup side? When was the last time you were in Europe, btw?

Re: Sneijder. He's been better than I expected him to be, he's been a great addition to Inter.
Yeah.

Last year. We lost to Shakthar Donetsk in the first knock-out round. Before that we lost to PSV and Sevilla. Bit disappointing. We did well against the Club Brugges and Dinamo Zagrebs of this world but always lost against the first half decent side.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
One of the main arguments against serie A was that it's a one horse race.
The last few weeks have showed that it's all but a one horse race and so "someone" has preferred to say that it's a no horse race, the best donkey will win it.
Another argument is that the English clubs always kick the Italian clubs asses. Forget the scores and forget the referees, were the Italian clubs that bad in the first leg of the eightfinals of CL? Was the duo Inter/Milan so much inferior to their EPL counterparts?
The final argument is that the quality of the mid-low table teams is lower in serie A. And that doesn't even need to be proved, whoever watches serie A knows that no opponent is a walk in the park.
I agree, especially on the last point. Up until this year, EPL's Big 4 could almost guarantee a win against most of the lower sides in the table.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I definitely have the same feeling right now, like, "Hey Englishmen! what now?" but this thread is seriously immature. We need to actually have a couple Italian victories over the proclaimed great English or Spanish teams before we pat ourself on the back or celebrate anything close to a moral victory.

Stash this away and let it be revisited in two-three weeks.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Gaga, I don't know who you're speaking to but they're glory hunting retards. Any true fan of footy puts the domestic league first. Take care of business at home before you take care of it abroad.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts