Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, May 5, 2002

Voeller: Expect no surprises

BERLIN, May 5 (Reuters) - Germany coach Rudi Voeller has warned fans not to expect any shocks when he names his World Cup squad on Monday.

'There will be no surprises,' Voeller said on the eve of revealing the 23 players he will take to the finals in Japan and South Korea which start on May 31.

'I know I will have to hurt some players,' the 1990 World Cup-winning striker added. 'The final decision is not an easy one to make.'

Voeller has definitely lost two key players to injury: Bayern Munich midfielder Mehmet Scholl and Bayer Leverkusen defender Jens Nowotny, who sustained a knee injury in last Tuesday's Champions League semifinal triumph over Manchester United.

THIGH INJURY

Midfielder Sebastian Deisler, who returned to Bundesliga action on Saturday after a thigh injury, and his Hertha Berlin team mate Marko Rehmer are likely to be included in the squad. Defender Rehmer has been sidelined for several weeks with a sore ankle.

No fewer than 14 members of the Germany side who crashed out of Euro 2000 after the first round are likely to be on the plane when the three-times world champions fly out to their base in Japan on May 22.

Assistant Germany coach Michael Skibbe hinted last month that TSV 1860 striker Martin Max, the league's joint top goalscorer with 18 goals, will not be travelling.

Voeller is expected to pick Bayern Munich's Carsten Jancker ahead of Max because of his greater international experience.

Strikers Oliver Bierhoff, Oliver Neuville and Miroslav Klose are almost certain to be selected with Werder Bremen's versatile Marco Bode likely to join them.

Despite Scholl's withdrawal, Voeller has plenty of options in midfield with Deisler, Michael Ballack, Dietmar Hamann, Christian Ziege, Jens Jeremies, Carsten Ramelow and Torsten Frings all automatic choices.

Midfielder Lars Ricken, from newly-crowned German champions Borussia Dortmund, should be preferred to Schalke 04 players Gerald Asamoah and Joerg Boehme.

Thomas Linke, Christoph Metzelder, Christian Woerns and Rehmer are safe bets at the back with Dortmund's Joerg Heinrich and Werder Bremen's Frank Baumann fighting for the remaining spot in defence.

Number one goalkeeper and Germany captain Oliver Kahn of Bayern Munich will probably be backed up by Dortmund's Jens Lehmann and Leverkusen's Hans-Joerg Butt.

Probable squad:

Goalkeepers: Oliver Kahn, Jens Lehmann, Hans-Joerg Butt

Defenders: Thomas Linke, Christian Woerns, Christoph Metzelder, Joerg Heinrich (or Frank Baumann), Marko Rehmer

Midfielders: Michael Ballack, Dietmar Hamann, Jens Jeremies, Carsten Ramelow, Bernd Schneider, Christian Ziege, Torsten Frings, Sebastian Deisler, Sebastian Kehl, Lars Ricken

Strikers: Oliver Bierhoff, Oliver Neuville, Carsten Jancker, Miroslav Klose, Marco Bode

soccernet

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Germany squad:

Goalkeepers: Oliver Kahn (Bayern Munich), Jens Lehmann (Dortmund), Hans-Jorg Butt (Leverkusen)

Defenders: Thomas Linke (Bayern Munich), Sebastian Kehl, Christian Worns, Christoph Metzelder, Jorg Heinrich (all Dortmund), Marko Rehmer (Hertha Berlin), Christian Ziege (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Michael Ballack, Carsten Ramelow, Bernd Schneider (all Leverkusen), Dietmar Hamann (Liverpool), Jens Jeremies (Bayern Munich), Torsten Frings (Werder Bremen), Sebastian Deissler (Hertha Berlin)

Strikers: Gerald Asamoah (Schalke 04), Marco Bode (Werder Bremen), Oliver Bierhoff (Monaco), Miroslav Klose (Kaiserslautern), Oliver Neuville (Leverkusen), Carsten Jancker (Bayern Munich)

This is the squad that Voller named.Bierhoof,Jancker,Bode,Asamoah:depress: .

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
A joke..why doesn't Völler only call up players from München, Dortmund and Leverkusen, plus some heroes of long forgotten times then? Even a Sean Dundee or Nico Patschinski I'd rate higher than Jancker at the moment (no joke). Not to forget Arie van Lent and Martin Max, who together scored about 30 goals. About three times as much as Jancker, Bierhoff, Bode and Asamoah together. If germany doesn't reach at least the semis I'll expect Völler to step down. What he does is no change, he's just continuing the same old story from Vogts & Ribbeck.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Jancker?!?:eek:

:confused:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
jez said:
If germany doesn't reach at least the semis I'll expect Völler to step down. What he does is no change, he's just continuing the same old story from Vogts & Ribbeck.
You can't blame things on Rudi Voeller. He done a marvelous job for the Nationalmannschaft since their debacle from Euro 2000 with that spineless dog Erich Ribbeck. Voeller just doesn't have a lot of players to pick from. Especially considering that he picked Jancker, whom I think he chose only because he was the only player who had size and power. Picking Max would only have duplicated Neuville and Klose. Jancker gives him another option. He is also younger and hence would also be possibly usefull in the future, unlike Max who is certain to retire by Germany 2006. Nevetheless, it is pretty sad that a player who has not scored a single goal this year is picked. This must be sending howls of laughter throughout Europe.:depress:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Champ said:

You can't blame things on Rudi Voeller. He done a marvelous job for the Nationalmannschaft since their debacle from Euro 2000 with that spineless dog Erich Ribbeck. Voeller just doesn't have a lot of players to pick from. Especially considering that he picked Jancker, whom I think he chose only because he was the only player who had size and power. Picking Max would only have duplicated Neuville and Klose. Jancker gives him another option. He is also younger and hence would also be possibly usefull in the future, unlike Max who is certain to retire by Germany 2006. Nevetheless, it is pretty sad that a player who has not scored a single goal this year is picked. This must be sending howls of laughter throughout Europe.:depress:

In my opinion Max' style of playing is more similar to Jancker than to Neuville or Klose - Neuville or Klose are more the "playing" strikers who have a good technique, while Jancker + Max both are more a "Strafraumstürmer" (sorry, don't know an english word:)). They're more the players who wait for the passes to come to them. Arie van Lent would also play this position btw... And only calling up a player for the upcoming world cup, because he might be in the team for 2006...I don't think that's really an excuse Völler could use.

And since Völler has taken over from Ribbeck, the national team also doesn't play much more impressive than before. Maybe you really can't blame him, but in my opinion he just relies too much on players just from the top teams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts