Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prince Charles has objected to plans to build a Dracula theme park in a medieval Transylvanian city.
He says the attraction would destroy the city's character, according to a trust of which he is the patron.

The prince is in Romania for a four-day private visit organised by the Mihai Eminescu Trust, a British group which supports the preservation of the Romanian countryside.

The Dracula park is to be built in Sighisoara, the home town of 15th century prince Vlad the Impaler - the model for Bram Stoker's fictional anti-hero Count Dracula.

Vlad Tepes: Model for Bram Stoker's Dracula

Vlad Tepes was born in Sighisoara in 1431, and gained his bloodthirsty reputation from his habit of impaling Turkish prisoners alive on wooden stakes.

The Romanian Government hopes the park, expected to be finished in 2003, will attract one million visitors a year.

But Greenpeace has argued the project threatens nearby ancient forests and a UNESCO-protected medieval citadel.

'Tragic loss'

In a statement, the trust said Prince Charles thought that "the proposed Dracula park is wholly out of sympathy with the area and will ultimately destroy its character".

Such a project would "be a tragic loss for the local inhabitants and for Europe as a whole", the statement said.

The government hopes the park in Sighisoara will attract one million tourists a year

The Prince of Wales is a strong supporter of environmental issues and has travelled through north-west Transylvania, revisiting a group of villages he hopes to restore and regenerate.

He has been interested in the Romanian countryside since the 1980s, when under the rule of Communist dictator Nicolae Ceausecu's, Romanian villages were destroyed to move farmers to apartment buildings in cities.

On Monday, Prince Charles visited the 15th century Bontida castle in avillage near the city of Cluj, about 260 miles north-west of Bucharest.

Several British organisations, including the Prince of Wales Foundation, have been paying for the castle's restoration.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
What a dope this guy is…I mean sure, I agree that there will be a negative environmental impact, but this will be minimal compare to the amount of lumber that western nations actually import from Romania…Oh and he says that "Such a project would be a tragic loss for the local inhabitants and for Europe as a whole" - ??? Give me a break, how is this a tragic loss for Europe? A couple of squared km in Romania will lead to the destruction of Europe as a whole…:eek:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his concern and efforts for preserving the Romanian rural regions but building a theme park which will bring the much needed $$$ in the area will not alter Europe's Environment...He's exagerating

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well, I really don't know the facts so I can't really comment too much, but I think the concern that a historically and naturally beautiful area will be corrupted and essentially destroyed by some gaudy and aesthetically vulgar theme park is a very valid one. It is too bad that Romania is in this position to begin with, that is to sully its historical and natural beauty just to get dollars, which come to think of it will be mainly pocketed by an armada of corrupt officials. On the other hand, maybe the influx of a lot of cash might be enough to help the plight of the local economy, even after the corrupt officials have lined their pockets. I am sure that the building of the theme park will happen, let's just hope it is done as tastefully and with the least negative impact on the environment as possible.

·
International
9,682 Posts
I really dunno what to say... even though it won't affect the enviroment, I would have still put Dracula Land farther away from Sighisoara. I mean, you could get a couple of hundreds of mil. $$$ only from Sighisoara alone if you're smart enough [just look at the Hungarians with two medieval cities, some bridges over the Danube and a lake they earn 4 times more than us out of tourism!!! And they even get money out of a region that looks with our Baragan!!!].

But I'm a lot more pissed off by the fact that those morons want to build a summer resort at the mouths of the Danube, near the Sf. Gheorghe brace. THAT WOULD BE A TOTAL DISASTER! That's a marvelous place, forgotten by the world, with some great sunsets and sunrises, hundreds of thousands of different birds, untouched beaches, little channels, and those morons want to build a summer resort?!!! :mad:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[What??? Has this been approved??? That would definitely be a disaster. Asta este in Delta??? That is a pure natural environment!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts