Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Primo. How's the wife cooking ?

...and to all those who would be in the dark about this rather incomprehensible starter line... Primo's Italian, the wifey is a kitchen artist, I'm an Italian cuicine fan, and you never get too old to learn.

In other words (very much so)- I was just wondering if we couldn't make this a tread for Italian dishes (we've tried and sort of failed before, but that's no reason to not try again)?
I imagine Primo sharing some of the rarieties (not those muffins friend), and Aquila giving some of Southern Italy's finest too.

I will report back with findings also, and so should everyone else.

And so- after this less than coordinated introduction- the table is virtually yours.

Ciao e salute

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
HEy Glen is back!!!!!!!!

Welcome back

Lav

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hey Glen! :)

This sounds like a good idea. I'll make it a sticky. Everybody is welcome to contribute!

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Hi Glen. Thanks for creating this fine dish, opps, I mean thread.
Primo is slowly entering into the kitchen himself to learn from the master. I look forward to sharing the delights of Italian food with you all here, as Italians excel in a couple of things really, really well, and food and soccer come to mind first. So now we can talk about both. It's off-topic, but fun.
My wife, like Lorena Bobbitt, is an Italian-Venezuelan and now American, so perhaps we could not limit the food talk to just Italian. I was just in Miami with her for a wedding and vacation (oh man it was hot), and I had some Cuban food to die for.
The dish I loved most was called a Cuban Chop-Chop and you can get them at fast food joints, small authentic kitchens and fancy restaurants. Real simple but delicious if made well - rice, beans, chix, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and guacomole. Yum.
I have now returned, however, and with me came about 15 pounds of fresh, homemade pasta that the drama queen's sister brought us. If you live in Atlanta, Ga., and want fresh pasta, call Pasta Mami. The best ravioli this side of the Atlantic. ;)

·
Registered
47,297 Posts
hey Glen, I read you have been in Puglia.
Well, my girlfriend comes from Puglia and she prepares the "orecchiette alle cime di rapa" in a wonderful way.... I dream them in the night sometimes.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I wanna know how to make yummy tiramisu with lots of alcohol in it... :lick:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toni: I have actually never been longer to the south than Napoli. You must refer to the winetalk with Fangul I think, and the thing was that I just bought a dozen of a Puglian wine because my wineshop had a special offer going. Campesino Primitivo it's called.

Either way- I guess it sounds good, but you must build a little on it to make non-Italian regulars get it too ;). 'Orechietti' is a special kind of pasta I know, but I'm a little uncertain as to 'cime di rapa'. Rapa is a kind of cabbage isn't it ? Green leafs and all ? Cime I would think is the oil in which you sautate it ? Like olive, garlic and spices ? Either way- I'm not getting much exposure to cabbage, so I've never tried this one. Gotta try it some time.

For me; after having just taken my run in todays 30 degrees Copenahgen- it's time for a quick lunch.

Tortellini di funghi

Take some fresh mushrooms, morkles, kantarelles etc. Slice them and fry them at medium heat for 5 minutes in olive oil, sliced garlic, pepper and fresh herbs (on a big frying pan). I prefer basil, but time and oregano will do as well. When the funghi has gone soft and the juices have been extracted- add a lump of butter, four table spoons of boiled water, and when it has mixed up nicely- add 2 desert spoons of flour to give some texture.

In the pot you have medium salted water boiling, you take your tortellini and boil them for 3-5 minutes depending on the kind. % if it's homemade, and otherwise just follow the instructions ;).

When the tortellini is cooked, pour out the boiling water, shake to get the remnants, and simply poor the ready tortellini on the pan with the funghi and sauce. Don't mash it together, but gently blend it.

Put it on a plate, grain some parmesan or grana padano over it- and... prego. A quick lunch which will take you all the way to dinner :D.

Suggestions for refining the dish, wine opportunities etc... much appreciated.

NB: Jun_Lei: I don't know about tiramisu, but I will find it out for you. Let's say that will be on the menu later this week ;).

Ciao.

·
Registered
47,297 Posts
Orecchiette (or cavatelli, that is another kind of pasta) alle cime di rapa
(cime di rapa=turnip tops):

There are many ways to prepare them this is one:

Ingredients:
orecchiette (cavatelli) 400 g., turnip tops 500 g., salted anchovies, extravirgin oil, garlic 3 slices, salt, ricotta dura (it's a kind of cheese), capers.

Boil the turnip tops in salted water. Remove the turnip tops from water and put the orecchiette in the salted water.
Brown garlic and anchovies in a large frying pan for 2 minutes (low flame, with capers too, if you want. Don't forget the oil HE HE HE!) then extinguish the flame. Then add in the frying pan the turnip tops you boiled before.
When the orecchiette are ready strain them. Put them in the frying pan and "saltate" (i don't know the English verb) everything together on a blazing flame for 3 minutes.
Dust with cheese (ricotta dura) at the end.

Since it's complicate to remove the turnip tops from boling water and then maintain the boiling water for the orecchiette, you can leave the turnip tops in the water and simply add the orecchiette.
Then you strain and add both (orecchiette and turnip tops) to garlic and anchovies which are in the frying pan and "saltate".

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I wish I could help but I dare not put in the light my primitive recipies of italian food...

Toni, girls from the South are best looking in Italy I have to say. I used to "know" (;)) a girl from Foggia who studies here in Padova and she was incredible. Ragazza from Puglia makes great choice! :)

·
Registered
47,297 Posts
My girlfriend is from Foggia and I go to Foggia every summer, so all what I can say is "Good choice!" :tongue:

However I disagree about the fact they are the best in Italy: I did the military service in Udine and I noticed that in Friuli the girls are wonderful. :horny:

Unfortunately I had no opportunities :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Seriously? Many girls from Udine and Balzano and generally the north areas of Italy (Friuli, Trentino and Piemonte) study in Padova and they are completely average. Plus they are tottaly un-intellectual... farmers! :D

I'm actually Greek, I just study in Padova.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Rome's greatest dish: RIGATONI CO' LA PAJATA

1/2 pound of pajata approximately, skinned and rinsed
1 large can of tomato pulp (about a pound)
1 small chili pepper
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup Olive oil
1 cup Frascati wine ( a Chardonnay or other dry white will do in a pinch)
1 pound rigatoni, cooked and drained - time this properly, you don't want american-style mushy pasta...
Salt to taste
Pecorino to taste

(sorry, I'm out of practice with the metric system)

*It is important to use pajata from veal, not adult cows*

Skin the pajata and cut into lengths about 6-8 inches long. With the stripped casing, tie each length into "donuts" or rings so that no more than an inch prtrudes from each end. Assure a good knot. Heat up all the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat, add the garlic and chili pepper, and the pajata. The donuts will begin to plump up as they brown. Watch the spatters, reduce heat if required. Brown the pajata both sides, and when you have good caramelization of the fats, deglaze with all the Frascati wine. Allow to evaporate until about half the liquid is gone. Add your tomato pulp, simmer, allow to reduce to desired consistency - one half-hour should be plenty to allow the pajata to soften.

Serve the sauce over rigatoni - they must be really al dente - and top with pecorino cheese as desired.

Accompany with a cold bottle of Frascati in addition to the remainder of the bottle you used for cooking...

Voila', Rigatoni co' la pajata

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Rom, what kind of hot pepper do you recommend. I grow ancho, jalapeno, cayenne and a few others. Also, do you also recommend plum tomatoes for Italian dishes or standard tomatoes? I grow both and find that the plum tomatoes make a thicker sauce.

P.S. NO on the pajata. No no no. Can I substitute something else?

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Shrimp with Lemon and Olive Oil

(the shrimp taste better the longer they sit in the marinade. Leave them for a couple of hours, if you have the time.)

1 pound large shrimp, in their shells

3 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or basil

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp, cover, and bring back to a boil. Continue boiling, partially covered, until the shrimp are just done, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain. Let the shrimp cool and then peel them.

In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the lemon juice with the olive oil, tomato, salt, pepper, and parsley/basil. Add the shrimp and toss.

VARIATIONS

*Substitute a pound of sea scallops for the shrimp. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick frying pan over moderately high heat until very hot. Season the scallops with one-eighth teaspoon salt. Put the scallops in the pan and sear until brown on the bottom, one to two minutes. Turn and brown on the other side until just done, one to two minutes longer. Remove the scallops and cut them into quarters. Toss with the marinade.
*add one-quarter teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes to the marinade.
*add a clove of minced garlic to the marinade.

MORE VARIATIONS

*Use halved and pitted olives in addition to or instead of the capers.
*Use three chopped anchovy fillets instead of the paste.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts