Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!? :dazed: :confused: Where's everybody?
For those who're still busy bashing Bayern or doing other things, please get your mind back on track. We're fighting battles on both fronts now!!! ;)

Anyone got any news that Figo will be back? This will be a good chance to warm him up (if possible) for the home leg against Bayern.

Also, Morientes and Raul need to start hitting the net if they are seriously thinking about the pichichi .

Again a win here is a must since disturbing Valencia are still level on points with us (When will they start to drop points! :frustrat: :D ) !!! I predict a 3-1 win for us... :eek:

Expected Lineup:

____________Cesar
Salgado__Hierro__Pavon__RC
Figo____Helguera__Makelele__Solari
_______Morientes__Raul

Of course if we win comfortably, you can expect some of them to go into an early rest!! ;)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Micke,

well, we can't afford to drop any Liga points now, not a one. By wednesday, our 50-50 chance of continuing in CL will be clear, and if we don't make it, our season rests on retaining Liga. It will be sad to come out of this year empty handed, while we were never consistent as we were in the past year, its not like anyone was.

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
where's the poll!

We can not take anything for granted this late in the season!

we must come out full force to put Rayo away early. We can not afford to let them stay in the game and build confidence!

We will see Figo coming off the bench, I hope he gets his game legs back in a hurry so to be a thorn in the side of all our rivals

:)

If ever there was a home-banker, it would have to be this clash between the princes and the paupers of Madrid.

Real currently sit top of the tree with just six games remaining and show no signs of relinquishing their crown. They're scoring goals from all areas of the pitch, with Fernando Hierro, Ivan Helguera and even Geremi weighing in recent games. Having said that, their Liga matches have been far from demanding of late, and with upcoming matches against Osasuna, Tenerife, Real Sociedad and Mallorca, things don't look like getting any tougher.

This week Vicente Del Bosque will have been boosted by the fact that Zinedine Zidane and Santiago Solari both featured in the Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich after initially being doubtful for the game. If there's one thing that the coach doesn't need at the moment, it's injuries. If you scratch under the service of the Merengues' squad you will find that it lacks depth compared to that of Deportivo La Coruna and Valencia as well as a host of other European sides. President Fiorentino Perez doesn't need to spend heavily this summer, but a few squad reinforcements would surely not go amiss.

The conspiracy theories of Rayo Vallecano president Teresa Rivero were given fresh legs this week after her side were robbed of a last minute winner against Real Betis due to a linesman's flag being raised. Rivero feels that because her side are the smallest in La Liga, refereeing decisions always go against them. It must be said that Michel looked a mile on side when scoring what he thought was the winner last Sunday.

Rayo now need to put this behind them as with just six games to play they are only one place above the drop zone. With games to come against Valladolid and Las Palmas, there's every reason for Gregorio Manzano's side to be optimistic.

FORM GUIDE

Real Last Six Matches: WDDWWL

The midweek Champions League defeat to Bayern was their first setback in seven games. Last weekend they squeaked past Sevilla courtesy of a deflected Ivan Helguera effort, while prior to this they beat Zaragoza, drew with Panathinaikos and Barcelona, and beat Sparta Prague.

Rayo Vallecano Last Six Matches: DLDWDD

The only victory came against Valencia at home, but on the other hand the only defeat arrived at home to Mallorca. Otherwise, Manzano's men have secured draws against Real Sociedad, Deportivo, Malaga and Betis.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Real- Luis Figo has finally recovered from an ankle injury and is in Del Bosque's squad. He will, however, have to settle for a place on the bench. Raul has shaken off an injury to his left leg and will start the match. The only injury absentee is Francisco Pavon who is out with a back injury. Aitor Karanka is expected to provide cover, although Geremi and Ivan Helguera are other options.

PL- 4-2-3-1- César, Salgado, Hierro, Karanka, Roberto Carlos, Makelele, Helguera, Zidane, Raúl, Solari, Morientes

Rayo- Sergio Corino is out injured but Jean Francois Hernandez returns from a ban. Roberto Peragon will take his place in central midfield while Vivar Dorado should also start. Jose Quevedo has passed a fitness test and plays.

PL- 4-4-2- Etxeberría, Ferrón, Hernández, De Quintana, Graff, Peragón, Pablo Sanz, Quevedo, Michel, Vivar Dorado, Bolic

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Santiago Solari (Real Madrid)- the Argentine is having an excellent season after beginning the campaign as a bit-part player. His dribbling, crossing and finishing are all exceptionable, although the return of Luis Figo may mean a return to the bench.

Elvir Bolic (Rayo)- the Bosnian has surprised many this season and it is fair to say that if his side go down, he'll be on his way out. They'll be no shortage of takers, either, for a player who's found the net ten times this season.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

A comfortable home win.

Real Win 75%
Draw 15%
Rayo Win 10%

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
Del Bosque wants victory against Rayo

MADRID, April 5 (DS) - Real Madrid head coach Vicente Del Bosque has put aside his Champions League recent disappointment and is ready to lead his champions for the clash against outsiders Rayo Vallecano.
"We need three points and we are not going to loose them. The national championship is as important as the Champions League for us," he told AS.
The Royal Club recovered Portuguese international Luis Figo will be at Del Bosque's disposal again. Defender Pavon is likely to miss the game, with either Karanka, Geremi or Helguera taking his place

·
Registered
210 Posts
Where's Ruben? I want him to replace Pavon.
Anyway..sure thing I won't be holding my breath for that;)
Will Solari be playing this match? Is his injured knee fine now?
And of course, I predict a win for this one. Not sure abt. the scoreline though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Figo back?

I read that Figo will get some playing time today! thats great news, though im still not sure if he will be fit enough to start against Bayern.

However, regardless of how the Bayern game goes, win or lose, getting Figo back at this stage is a huge plus. I hope we see him at his best in this stretch.

Sorry Che about the poll :eek: anyway, its too late for it now. I am sure most predict us to win, though its more difficult then it appears. BUT we can't afford to drop any points!

Hope Raul and Moro find their scoring touch today, they need the morale boost.

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
Re: Figo back?

Vampire Lestat said:

Sorry Che about the poll :eek: anyway, its too late for it now. I am sure most predict us to win, though its more difficult then it appears. BUT we can't afford to drop any points!

yeah but your not giving the Barca fan's a chance to cast their stones, oops I mean votes!:D

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Half-time approaching, and we are 2-0 up :)

The first is either Roberto Carlos, or an own goal, depending on which site you read. i don't know who its called for.

Moro got the second! i hope its a boost for him to score this wednesday.

Btw, we are playing a diamond formation :eek:

Cesar - Salgado, Helguera (Pavon is injured), Hierro, Roberto C, Macca, Zidane, Solari, Makelele, Raul and Moro.

Figo on the bench, i guess he will get some time. look for Zidane and maybe Raul to get subbed midway in the second too.

I'll try to keep you updated.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,503 Posts
Bravo...Bravisimo .......... Full-time: Real Madrid 3-1 Rayo Vallecano. A comfortable win for the Merengue with Luis Figo scoring on his return. Madrid stay top.

:cool::happy::cool:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Solid win. Figo got a PK, and Moro scored. Hope its morale boosters.

Raul continues to fast :( we all know his game isn't just goals, but he still has gone LONG without any :eek:

Lets hope that all changes on Wednesday ! :devil:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
oh yeah, welcome back Colo! :star: Its good to have you back, we missed you! :cool:

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
I missed the game, I thought we played on sunday~Good to see we keep the presure on Valencia!

hala Madrid!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Its a OK result thinking about wednesday. I think the diamond formation is the ace up DB's sleeve for the Bayern game, iam just worried they will get counters and punish us for it before we can overrun them ourselves :(

Sure looking forward to wednesday, i could care less about this game to be honest :eek:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Micke,

I think you will see the Diamond ONLY if it gets to a deperate situation in that Bayern game, say the last 30 minutes or so, if the result is not in our favour.

and if you consider we are still at 50-50 at making next round of CL, i think game is very important to us. We can't afford to lose Liga now, it would be too depressing :depress: and Valencia are really going to be tough to overcome, we can't afford any slip-ups.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vampire Lestat said:
...The first is either Roberto Carlos, or an own goal, depending on which site you read. i don't know who its called for...
It's a shot that deflected off a defender (can't recall his name) to the right upright and Etxeberria tried to catch it, but like Cesar in Camp Nou, slip off him and rolled to the back of his net!!!

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I saw the goals... but hey! what was Morientes doing after he scored????? Di you see the way he treated Roberto Carlos? He almost pushed him to tyhe ground!?:yuck::depress: very unsettling.

And how the hell does Mori manage to miss an empty goal??? Raul should've done better with the follow-up too:irritate:

Good result overall, calm and collected.

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
did any one watch the game??

It appears as if DB put in a 3-5-2 formation

Salgado-------Hierro---------R.Carlos

---------Makelele-----Helguera

Macca----------------------------Solari
-----------------Zizou

-------Raul---------------Morientes

3 on the back line! we only gave up one goal!
:confused:

can anyone tell me how we looked with this formation,

Del Bosque satisfied with Real win
MADRID, April 7 (DS) - Real Madrid stayed top in Spain with a 3-1 defeat of city rivals Rayo Vallecano here on Saturday as Portuguese international Luis Figo made a goal-scoring return from injury.
Real have a three-point lead over Valencia, who play Real Sociedad on Sunday, after putting on a superb display of attacking football at the Bernabeu.
The Royal Club manager Vicente Del Bosque said afterwards: "We have 5 fixtures remaining and need to win them all to defend our title.
"We had a hard week. First there was a tough game against Sevilla, then our bitter Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich. As for the match against Rayo, I'm happy the players managed to concentrate well enough to fulfill their task. We dominated during both halves, with many counterattacks especially in the second half," he said.
Del Bosque added he was quite satisfied with Luis Figo, but that does not necessarily mean the Portuguese international will start against Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
Figo made his return after a month out with an ankle injury as he came on for Zinedine Zidane in the 77th minute.
"I played only 15 minutes. But it is better than nothing. I must think on playing and forget about my injury," Figo mused.
Del Bosque praised Fernando Morientes, who rounded Etxeberria for the second goal in the 38th minute.
Real French start Zinedine Zidane indicated in his turn: "Now we need a good rest before we play Bayern, because it's going to be the most important tie of the season."
Commenting on the offensive remarks by Munich players after the first leg, the Frenchman said: "I don't care for their words. Real men try to prove things on pitch."
The Spanish defending champions' goalkeeper Cesar looks very confident on the pitch during the recent games. Cesar backs his teammates position regarding the Bayern players' verbal abuse.
"Let them speak. We will give our answer on the pitch," said the goalie
:) :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Che,

It was more like 4-4-2 diamond. I think it`s time to recognize Helguera`s abilities as a defender, he has been excellent when played in that position. :)

-------------------César

Salgado----Hierro--Helguera----R Carlos

-----------------Makelele
----Macca--------------------Solari
-----------------Zidane

-------------Raúl--Morientes

I doubt that D Bosque will use this tactic against Bayern as we need 2 defensive midfielders to keep us in possesion. However, we could see this diamond formation in the second half, if things turns out ugly :devil:

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
standings after Jornada 33

P W D L FA Pnt
1 Real 33 18 8 7 64-34 62
2 Valencia 33 17 11 5 43-25 62
3 Deportivo 33 17 7 9 54-37 58
4 Barcelona 33 15 9 9 54-31 54
5 Celta 33 14 12 7 59-40 54
6 Betis 33 13 14 6 35-26 53
7 Malaga 33 12 12 9 39-37 48