Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have we found the ideal defensive duo for the next few years?

Its seems to me that they have the qualiities that we have been lacking in central defence the last few years, namely speed , anticipation , good in the tackle and brave.

I think we all know that Athletic have played good football in the last 3 or 4 seasons(excluding this season) but havent been able to control other teams attackers and it has cost us plenty of points along the way.

If Prieto and Ustaritz can maintain this sort of level in the next couple of years , we should be a much harder side to beat.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The defensive strenght of the last games is also provoked by the defensive work of all the players, including attackers. It´s difficult to make a comparison of the central defenders of the last games with the ones of last season basically because now they are more protected by the rest of the team, as shows the fact that we receive far less goals than last season but we score less too.

What we can compare our current defenders is with Mendilibar or Clemente´s first games this season, where we played equally defensively (more defensive actually) but we received the same goals as last season, always due to personal mistakes more than the system itself. There has been a great improvement on that aspect, we´ve receive 1 goal in the last 4 games showing an excellent defensive security. Of course both Prieto and Ustaritz are responsible of that, (also Expósito and Amorebieta) with special mention to the one from Abadiño, who´s been our best players in these last games, except the Espanyol one, where he was injured, and he was missed a lot every time Lacruz made a mistake (several times in that game:eek: ).

Clemente´s tactic since his arrival has been make the team stronger defensively, since our players were nervous and had problems to score, therefore it was a mistake to play to the attack as last seasons. We have good players in attack so if we turn strong in defense we have a lot won, afterall our attackers will always be able to create good chances. He started with 5 defenders to give the team confidence at the back, then he returned to 4 once he saw we didn´t commit so many mistakes, and now he gives a bit more freedom to the attackers every game.

Prieto and Ustaritz can be a good couple for the future, I thought they could suffer against tall strikers but they made an excellent job with Milosevic last Saturday. Of course we all know Prieto has his peaks of form every season (lately he even scores!) but there are moments when he comits some mistakes and Ustaritz is having a very promising start but we must have caution with the expectatives. Also, we have Fernando Amorebieta who should return to his natural position once we find a good leftback, Murillo although it looks like he´s going to be recycled as midfielder and the possibility of Ocio´s signing. Personally I would love if Clemente creates a new wall with Ustaritz and Amorebieta as he did with Liceranzu and Goiko, actually Ustaritz has a lot of things in common with Rocky and Amorebieta with Andoni, on a different level by now logically.

Appart, the 2 CD that were promoted to Bilbao Athletic from Baskonia when Amorebieta and Ustaritz were promoted to Athletic (Anaitz Arbilla and Gaizka Bergara) are playing very well lately, especially Arbilla, which gives us more possibilities for the future. Fortunately it looks like our defensive problems could be solved soon. The one I don´t see a lot of future in Athletic is Lacruz, I think he should be sold on summer, and Karanka obiously.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts