Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
Who is the favourite to succeed Nunez? When are the elections? Who would you guys like to see run the world's biggest club?

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
The elections are July 23, there are about 5 candidates, but the main two challengers for the presidency are Joan Gaspart, and Lluis Bassat. Gaspart was part of Nunez's team for the last 22 years and if he were elected. Bassat is some wealthy businessman that i don't really know much about. I am simpatizant of Barca, not socio, so i cannot vote in the elections, but i think i would go with Gaspart. The only issue i have is that many were talking about a revolution at Barca and i dont see how this can happen with someone from Nunez's presidency in charge. I just want to see Barca continue to grow, we are the biggest club in the world, there's no doubt about that. Nunez was boasting about how much success Barca has had without having to go into debt like other clubs to buy players. I think this is something that all Barca fans can be proud of, especially in these days of insane player prices. Whoever is elected, we will continue to be the best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anybody know what the situation is with the Elefant Blau challenge? I thought that the resignation of Nunez was the moment that they had been hoping for.Perhaps one of the five candidates is representing their interests? I also thought that Cruyff was interested in taking over from Nunez - whatever happened to him?

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Bassat is i believe the candidate which Elefant Blau supports. Nunez of course would do anything to make sure that he doesn't become president, using any chance he can to insult his candidacy and Elefant Blau in general. I feel Gaspart will be next president. Cruyff has no interest in being president, but i think he was going to back Joan Castells candidacy, i don't know what happened to that!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
It seems Nunez is gone, but his clan is still in control. I think Gaspart will be elected. I don't know why, but I have this feeling he will be elected.

And about our financial status: we don't have debts, and we made a record PROFIT last year! How many other clubs can say that?? Still we're among the best teams in Europe. Now that's something we can be proud of indeed!!!

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
People keep saying on this forum that Barça don't have any debts. Many people in BCN are not so sure given that there's never anything transparent at Camp Nou. Rumour has it that Nuñez resigned because a big tax scandal involving players going back as far as Shuster is just round the corner. If Gaspart loses the elections (which seems most unlikely) we will all find out just what's been going on these last few years.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I have heard this same thing Roger, but i feel that it may be a rumor started by Elefant Blau to hurt Nunez's image. I dont mean to start an argument if you are member of Elefant Blau, but i feel that they are out to damage Nunez as a person. I am not trying to say that i back Nunez, not at all. I am glad he will leave, I just think that this is a rumor. Hopefully this does not come up in this elections as the debates get underway. We don't need the bad behavior that we have seen in Madrid's election. I prefer a clean election and i feel Gaspart will win quite easily.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
CM - No, I'm not a member of Elefant Blau, just a fan who's been angry with Nuñez and Gaspart since the sacking of Cruyff. Now they did damage Cruyff as a person. They accused him of turning the Camp Nou into a Persian market, of using it only to deal with his own business, of celebrating a terminal illness of one of Nuñez's relatives just to name a few of their dirty tricks. More than a rumour, there seems to be a feeling that this constant haggling over transfer fees and excessive reliance on "contratos de imágen" as an illegal means of paying players is covering up some kind of serious cashflow problem. Also, lack of transparency during electoral processes only leads to suspicion that other things at the club (e.g., financial matters) are more opaque than they should be.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Roger- i don't want you to get the idea that i am attacking you. I also am glad to see Nunez leave after what he said and did to Cruyff. I am not sure about the financial problems in Barca, and I don't want to speculate. I do agree that if you do not have the transparency in the club's operational matters that suspicions will arise. What i am trying to say is that I don't think the tactics of Elefant Blau against Nunez serve to help Barca at all. I just want to see Nunez out and see a clean election. I say i think Gaspart will win easily, but that does not mean i want him to be elected. I personally dont like any candidate but i feel that since Gaspart has years of experience at the top of Barca, he will be able to keep the club running smoothly, instead of someone new who has never worked in the club starting from scratch.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
CM - I haven't got any ideas about you attacking me. In fact I think you ideas are extremely well thought out and well expressed. Just a bit of healthy debate, that's all.
Please keep it going.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
About Gaspart: wasn't he the one doing all the dirty work for Nunez in the battle against Cruijff???

But one thing is for sure: the ones who know our our financial situation, are also the ones with reasons to lie about it.... :(

Wasn't Ronaldo leaving because of the way Nunez wanted to pay him? Some illegal construction to pay less taxes? A club wouldn't do that if it needed to save some money....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts