Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

VS

Obviously I don't need to tell you how big a game this is nowadays. Although the rivalry between the two clubs and sets of fans isn't that great, Chelsea are our main title rivals. I'm not sure what to make of this. I think if we were going in to this in good form I'd fancy us to end their 4 year unbeaten home record, but we're not so I'd be happy with a draw. On the other hand, we're capable of clicking and if we do then we could turn them over, then you think of that dire performance at Anfield and think no chance....

Team News:

Berbatov has a good chance of making his second appearance for the club.

Ronaldo is back, as you all know, but he might have to settle for a place on the bench.

Scholes is back after his midweek ban.

Vidic is suspended following his red card last Saturday.

Brown, no word yet. If he's fit, Sir Alex has a choice to make as to whom he plays at right back. Either Brown or Nev with Evans partnering Rio, or Brown to partner Rio with Nev playing right back.

Carrick is out for 6 weeks.

Foster twisted his ankle in the week so it looks like Kuszczak will take his place on the bench

I'll edit in the squad later.

Last five league results at Stamford Bridge:

2003/04 - L 1-0
2004/05 - L 1-0
2005/06 - L 3-0
2006/07 - D 0-0
2007/08 - L 2-1

Bookie's Odds: Chelsea 5/4, Manchester United 9/4, Draw 9/4

Venue - Stamford Bridge

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Atleast Scholes will be rested, when he plays well the whole team just ticks.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Scholes has been poor so far, pre-season he was class.

Chelsea will win 56-3. Kerry Dixon with them all. Ron Harris will get sent off.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Massive Massive game IMO.

If we produce a good performance and win this, then that would really kick start our season.

But the main worry for me is the form of scholes ( as PB pointed out ) and the absence of carrick. Would the mid filed trio of Andersson- owen-scholes win the battle with the midfiled of Deco - Obi - Lampard-ballack? That is the critical Question and this is where the match is won or lost.

I think we are realising how important carrcik is to the team now that hes injured.

Comming to the defence, it is really bad time for Vidic to get injured. I think if brown is fit, he should partner Rio and not Evans.

I really would like to see Rooney play behind Berbatov ( for the last 2 seasons he has not played there...for gods sake give him a chance fergue....) and Ronaldo (or nani) and Tevez in free wide roles.

I really want to see a fighting performance from the guys and hope that chelsea's record is broken at last.....

prediction 1-1 ( rooney and Deco with the goals)

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
This game is more about how united play than chelski.

If we play to our best it doesnt really doesnt matter how those russian fks play as we will play them off the park.

That said, I would predict 2-0 to chelski unless united can start showing a killer instinct.

Another thing, united need to show the same hunger that the scum showed last week. Liverpool showed that even the most average of teams can play above their own limited ability. ;)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
3-1 Chelsea win, Ronaldo to score one coming off the bench.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Yea alright. Scolari is going to get a wakeup call and Bosingwa will be turned inside out by Nani and Ronaldo.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Why do people keep saying that if united lose they will face a 9 point deficit which would make the league near on impossible to make up?

Its quite presumptuos as United would have a game in hand with 2 of the toughest games of the season gone and 33 games left in the league left.

Just shows how the truth can be spinned out of reasonable proportions for the interest of hyping the importance of a game!!!

·
NUMBER 18
1,703 Posts
Why do people keep saying that if united lose they will face a 9 point deficit which would make the league near on impossible to make up?

Its quite presumptuos as United would have a game in hand with 2 of the toughest games of the season gone and 33 games left in the league left.

Just shows how the truth can be spinned out of reasonable proportions for the interest of hyping the importance of a game!!!
exactly .. the league is not goin to be decided on sunday.... a draw would not be that bad a result as ppl r making it out to be... and i m not tooo sure if SAF will try and attack attack attack..

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
another game i miss due to being in work :(
Do like i do, use your sick days...if you no longer have...take an unpaid leave. BIG GAME...you can afford a day off.

Pessimistic about this one (i think all of us are) even if Ronaldo plays 90 minutes. We need #10 to step it up. Hope he doesn't play wide again.

Liverpool and Chelsea away in back to back weeks. At least after Sunday, we can say we got those games out of our way.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
1-1.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

People forgot what we did to Arsenal last season.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
'United Just Another Game' - Scolari

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has said Sunday’s big Premier League clash with Manchester United is ‘just another game’.

The World Cup winner, who has made a strong start to Stamford Bridge, will be looking to keep the early season momentum going against the defending league champions.

And Scolari has revealed he is unfazed by the status of Sunday’s clash, stating that for him at least, it is just another match.

"This is just one more game, nothing different. The challenge when I came to England was to win the Premier League, not just single games. The challenge is to win all the games, not only games against Man United," Scolari said to the club’s official website.

"I think for my players it is one more game also. Three points against Manchester United is the same as three points against Stoke City, against Wigan, against Portsmouth. No different."

Victory over the Premier League and European Champions would give the Blues a nine point advantage over United, but Scolari feels such a gap is meaningless at this early stage of the season.

"If we win, we follow with Liverpool in first position," he stated.

"It's better for us to be nine points ahead of United but it's only the start of the league. If it was the last three or four games, nine points would be fantastic. But we have 33 games more so nine points is nothing," added Scolari.

"They have a beautiful team and my players are prepared for this. I think Ronaldo will start the game and my players are thinking they must play very well.

"If they mark Ronaldo well there is Tevez, Rooney, O'Shea, Hargreaves, Nani, Berbatov."

Scolari concluded with a resounding message of praise for club captain John Terry, who has had his red-card from the Manchester City game last weekend rescinded meaning he will not face a suspension.

"In certain moments in the game it's more important to have him there as a man or a captain than as a player," he commented.

·
Registered
293 Posts
'United Just Another Game' - Scolari

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has said Sunday’s big Premier League clash with Manchester United is ‘just another game’.

The World Cup winner, who has made a strong start to Stamford Bridge, will be looking to keep the early season momentum going against the defending league champions.

And Scolari has revealed he is unfazed by the status of Sunday’s clash, stating that for him at least, it is just another match.

"This is just one more game, nothing different. The challenge when I came to England was to win the Premier League, not just single games. The challenge is to win all the games, not only games against Man United," Scolari said to the club’s official website.

"I think for my players it is one more game also. Three points against Manchester United is the same as three points against Stoke City, against Wigan, against Portsmouth. No different."

Victory over the Premier League and European Champions would give the Blues a nine point advantage over United, but Scolari feels such a gap is meaningless at this early stage of the season.

"If we win, we follow with Liverpool in first position," he stated.

"It's better for us to be nine points ahead of United but it's only the start of the league. If it was the last three or four games, nine points would be fantastic. But we have 33 games more so nine points is nothing," added Scolari.

"They have a beautiful team and my players are prepared for this. I think Ronaldo will start the game and my players are thinking they must play very well.

"If they mark Ronaldo well there is Tevez, Rooney, O'Shea, Hargreaves, Nani, Berbatov."

Scolari concluded with a resounding message of praise for club captain John Terry, who has had his red-card from the Manchester City game last weekend rescinded meaning he will not face a suspension.

"In certain moments in the game it's more important to have him there as a man or a captain than as a player," he commented.
O'Shea:howler:

1 - 20 of 123 Posts