Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rollercoaster season of 2007/08 is finally over and we ended up doing much better than what many predicted at a certain stage.

We deservedly won two trophies (Super Cup and Cup), reached the Quarter Finals of the UEFA Cup after being 3rd in the CL group stage and playing very well against the future European champions and a very tough Roma and finally grabbed the golden 2nd spot in the league for the third consecutive year, something that seemed almost impossible to achieve not that many weeks ago.

Well done to the squad, to the board and most of all to Paulo Bento, who managed to keep his head high above a pathetic flood of clueless criticism, coming from outside but also from inside the club.

The new season will start with a problem: Liedson is injured at least until October. It is also quite possible that we will lose Miguel Veloso, especially if he will have a good performance at the Euro. I am not so sure that the same thing will happen with João Moutinho.

The good news are, for once, surpassing the bad. The club has been negotiating the renovation of contracts of a couple of key players (Anderson Polga and Derlei) and trying its best to extend loans or eventually buy the pass of a couple of others (Marat Izmailov and Leandro Grimi).

Regarding new faces, until now there is only one confirmed: Fábio Rochemback is back from his EPL adventure which is definitely good news as he will certainly bring the grit that sometimes is so much missing in our midfield.

There is serious speculation about others and I wouldn't be surprised if we would see the return of Marco Caneira, Hugo Viana and the arrival of Pedro Pauleta. I surely would like to see that as these three Portuguese internationals would all bring experience to a squad that has sometimes suffered from lack of it in key moments.

Some of the less used players in this season still do not have their situation completely clarified. Pontus Farnerud for example seems to be on the verge to be sold and Celsinho will probably be loaned to gain some first team experience.

On what concerns those leaving the club is now clear that Paulo Bento doesn't count with the likes of Gladstone, Purovic and Stojkovic for the future. The Brazilian CB did not show enough quality whenever he was given the chance, the Montenegrin striker clearly does not fit in the tactical system mostly used by our coach and the Serbian keeper should grow up and behave like a man and not like a spoiled brat.

Finally, regarding new homegrown faces it seems clear that Tiago Pinto (LB), Daniel Carriço (CB) and Carlos Saleiro (F) will do the pre-season with the first squad. From this trio of very talented young Portuguese international seems to be the centre-back Carriço the one with more chances to stay in Alvalade in 08/09. The possibilities of Pinto and Saleiro depend on what will happen with the arrival/departure situation of players like Ronny, Grimi, Caneira, Liedson and Pauleta.

Overall, there are reasons to be optmistic. For the first time in countless years we will have the same coach for a third consecutive season and if the main core of the team is kept, or at least partially kept, I do believe that we will add more and larger trophies to our silverware cabinet in about one year from now. :hopeful:​

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As it happened in the last two pre-seasons Sporting will be present at the Guadiana International Tournament in Vila Real de Santo António between 25-27 July 2008.

We will again face Benfica and the foreign team present this year will be the EPL side of Balckburn Rovers.

Before that we will play still in the Algarve the Troféu Cidade de Albufeira against another EPL side: Roy Keane's Sunderland. The game will take place on 20 July.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:howler:

Filipe, speaking of Sporting rumours, have you heard any news on whether Milan accepted Sporting's 1.5 M Euro offer to buy Grimi?

Yes, I've read somewhere that Milan did not accept it and referred Sporting to the buy-out clause of €3.5M but I wouldn't be surprised that we end up managing to keep him as he seems to be very keen on staying.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
See you in the Algarve. ;)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Derlei is staying for another year. :proud:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sporting faces Real Madrid at 27 August
Translated from Mais Futebol

Sporting will play a friendly game against Real Madrid on 27 August, on the 30th edition of Trofeo Bernabeu. The information was given by the Dpanish club on their official website.

This match, to be held at the Spanish capital, had been scheduled for August 2007, but it was cancelled due to the death of Antonio Puerta, Sevilla's player. The two clubs then agreed to find a new date, which happened now.

---------------------------------------

:greed:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Yeah, 2.5 M Euros.

I must admit this is surprising. Anyways, I will not be a jerk and say Sporting are buying the crap we loan out, because I've always disagreed with Jesualdo's opinion on Helder. I think he's a good striker who can score plenty of goals, so this is a good signing for Sporting. He's better than the likes of Derlei, Purovic, etc.

Filipe, now you have to take back the bad things you've said about Postiga before. :pp

Anyways, congrats. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am speechless but to tell you the truth I am happy at the same time because I always believed in this kid. :angel:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Suprised at this news, I didnt think Porto would sell to a direct rival for so cheap.

Their coach prefers to have 2nd rate Brazilians as strikers than Portuguese internationals at their service. Good. :)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great news this morning :)

Leandro Grimi is going to sign a 4 year deal with Sporting as apparently Milan went back in the negotiations and agreed to sell. The press is hinting that Miguel Veloso may be involved in the sudden smoothness of the Italians on this particular case.

It seems unavoidable that sooner or later Miguel will leave so if to get a good player like Grimi we have to sell him to Milan, why not? After all the so called "agreement" that we apparently have with Man Utd never brought us anything apart from their quids so why not dealing with clubs that also provide good players for our squad?

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as the portuguese press goes, does it look like Veloso will/ would go to Milan or United?
As far as today's press was concerned, it looks like he is going to Milan.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.