Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would make a good thread here.

God forbid anyone agrees with Blatter on this anywhere else on XT.

But this foreigner issue, for me is an outrage, most of you know that, but it's getting to the point where some club teams (ahem Arsenal), are not even fielding any home-grown talent.

Now I know, some will make the reflex argument like that simple minded Wenger did, by accusing people who don't agree with his liberal views of being racist, but if these clubs are part of National footballing associations and not even using kids of that association, then they're eroding the structure of the game itself. And when the FIFA President speaks out on this, there's at least a growing concern no matter what that uneducated highschool-teaching fool Wenger says

I don't like it, I really, really don't like it. For me, that Bosman ruling is equal to an oppressive law. It's outdated; from a 60's dominated mentality that did alot more harm than good, alot more, and when an 'English' club like Arsenal doesn't even field an Englishman in one of their matches, I think it's insane.

This is happening in National football too, which is equally insane. The French Imperial team goes to show how successful this could become but most countries don't have past imperial regimes to fall back on to make up for lack of talent at home.

But that's just me. I'd love to hear what the board says so post away.

Cheersch

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
Croatia has no imperial history, though we have a sh!tload of Croats outside the domovina.

I garee with you man, you would also see much more balanced UEFA and Champs League comps, but the professional players will disagree with us. They want more dough..and opening borders without restrictions is a great way to get it..

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These clubs are now corporations and whoring themselves only to make a quick buck just like these corporate criminals.

The players shouldn't have a say. Neither should the corporations. The game is governed by a ruling body and it's that body'sy tight control that made the game what it is today.

FIFA says, football do, that's the way it is.

Cheersch

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Isn't there a rule that means a team has to include a certain percentage of homegrown players in there sqaud comencing in 2008?

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gordy said:
Isn't there a rule that means a team has to include a certain percentage of homegrown players in there sqaud comencing in 2008?
That's what I remember too, but I figured it's still worth discussing.

Cheersch

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ljubuski,

I don't have a problem with the lack of limits on fielding foreigners (see post on FF - not sure I could repeat that one). anyway, so long as foreign doesn't mean decrease in skills or effort, I think competition will only serve to increase the locals' efforts and consequently, their game. as long as foreign import isn't simply done b/c it's the trendy thing, then, no prob, Bob.

Cheersch.

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
cut and paste it man, because I can't open FF at all these days.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ero, for you...

Good points guys with respect the lack of level playing field among East vs. West Europe teams. I'm not sure the problem is employing foreigners in the ranks, though. As I see it, the bigger problem is the fact that Western European teams can spend 10+m euros for player transfers when the teams are 100+m Euro in debt (Real Madrid, for example) because of gov't subsidies. Or when the owner of the team is willing to lose 200m pounds (Chelsea) to put together all-star teams in name. The combined debt of the Bundesliga teams is estimated to be in excess of 700m Euro. How do we compete with that? And, will that ultimately destroy football?
As far as Arsenal go, I've been watching them for a good 10 or so years. Despite the lack of Englishmen at Highbury, Arsenal have become a lot more interesting to watch. Henry, Pires, VPersie, Fabregas, Bergkamp, etc. are a lot more fun than the "boring Arsenal" or "one-nil to the Arsenal" when the team was loaded with Brits in O'Leary's day. From a fan's perspective, I enjoy watching quality passing a hell of a lot more than the traditional "punt the ball down the pitch and outjump everyone else" routine that the P'ship was known for before the influx of foreign talent. I don't think the English NT has suffered as a result. Quite the opposite, they're one of the favorites for this year's WC and that may be a reflection of the increase in competition the Eng players see each week. Lesser talents end up in the Championship Division or the lower leagues. Competition for playing time is ultimately good for all. Wenger just happens to be better at assessing foreign talent than English ones. Shame he gave up on Upson, but I wouldn't argue with the departure of Pennant, Bentley, etc. BTW, Arsenal have a positive account balance in spite of their expensive foreign purchases.
as for the HNL, talent from Brazil, Nigeria, Cameroon and other exotic locales should only serve to prod our lazy homegrown talents harder. The knock on Biscan, SMaric and Balaban was that their limited talents couldn't excuse their workpace (read laziness). L'Pool, N'Castle and Villa were simply more comfortable fielding players who gave an effort and acted like they cared. Biscan learned that too late. Balaban and Maric had no interest in learning anything. Maybe if they had been pushed for a place in the start 11 at DZ, they would have understood what it takes to succeed at any stop. The idea that the Brits are naturally biased toward Eastern Europenas is nonsense. Stimac was a god at Derby (whatever other faults he has, the guy worked hard) as was Bilic (at every stop, mind you). Asanovic was only tolerated at Derby b/c he was supremely talented. Hope Niko stays away from England for his own sake and for our collective embarassment.
We will always produce talent. No worries there. what we need in the HNL is work ethic. I'm afraid for the young Hajduk generation (Kalinic, Bacelic, etc). they need to be pushed to work and compete for their places. If it takes foreigners to do it, then so be it. Just not Munhoz, please.
Disclaimer: I don't support DZ, but I will be rooting for them in Europe if they are HRV's CL rep. We need someone to do well in Europe if we are to have any reputation left after the debrecen fiasco. I'm also rooting for Chago, Anderson and the rest of the DZ mercenaries to do well to increase the competition in the HNL. I have to admit, I haven't been able to watch any HNL in some years now. Too slow a pace. We need changes desperately and the need has little to do with Western European teams having a bigger debt load or more foreigners in their ranks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Re-reading the above post, I think the the use of Eng NT may be a poor example in assessing foreign player limits and our the future of our NT.

Belgium may be a better, or rather more troubling example for us. Eng is too populous to compare with. Look at the state of the Belgium NT. they haven't q'd for 2 or 3 tournies now. Stats show that the leader scorers of the Juliper league throughout the 90's was mostly foreigners (HRVs, incidentally). There's a team in the Juliper today that's 90% Ivory Coast nationals. Not sure which one. Their league is becoming 3rd tier, at best, and their NT has suffered lately. Biggest problem with it appears to be a lack of a proven goalscorer. Maybe, player limits wouldn't be such a bad thing. Still, I don't think the Belgians naturally produce many gifted athletes in general (bicycle racers do not count - I don't give a rat's a** about some steriod-using guys touring the French countryside every summer). I would think to believe that foreigners in the HNL will only increase the competition and instill a stronger work ethic in our boys. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
711 Posts
i agree. competition with foreigners for places injects more talent into the league, making it more competitive. it also enables developing players to see other styles of play, making them more rounded players.

there need to be limits though, so fair point about maybe having a quota on the amount of local players a team needs to field, if a team had to have AT LEAST 2 or 3 local players in every first team squad, it would mean that there would be local players competing against foreigners. there would also be more competition among clubs for talented local players as well.

one last comment about fifa. fifa is just as bent and corrupt as the ioc, with voting delegates having such low requirements for transparency, you are able to have a situation that led to germany getting this year's world cup. if anyone doesnt rememebr, the voted was pretty much tied with south africa, with the deciding vote going to the delegate from oceania, he declined to vote, retired from office to his NEW house in GERMANY. the rest is history.

if the delegates can be bought like that fella, the big clubs will control fifa anyway.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Ljubuski said:
I thought it would make a good thread here.

God forbid anyone agrees with Blatter on this anywhere else on XT.

But this foreigner issue, for me is an outrage, most of you know that, but it's getting to the point where some club teams (ahem Arsenal), are not even fielding any home-grown talent.

Now I know, some will make the reflex argument like that simple minded Wenger did, by accusing people who don't agree with his liberal views of being racist, but if these clubs are part of National footballing associations and not even using kids of that association, then they're eroding the structure of the game itself. And when the FIFA President speaks out on this, there's at least a growing concern no matter what that uneducated highschool-teaching fool Wenger says

I don't like it, I really, really don't like it. For me, that Bosman ruling is equal to an oppressive law. It's outdated; from a 60's dominated mentality that did alot more harm than good, alot more, and when an 'English' club like Arsenal doesn't even field an Englishman in one of their matches, I think it's insane.

This is happening in National football too, which is equally insane. The French Imperial team goes to show how successful this could become but most countries don't have past imperial regimes to fall back on to make up for lack of talent at home.

But that's just me. I'd love to hear what the board says so post away.

Cheersch
Couldnt have said it better!
The ironic thing is that Bosman himself regrets what he did. He admits he ruined football.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts