Xtratime Community banner

Prawn Sandwiches 2002

196 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fred Elliot 
#1 ·
A quote from the captain:

Following Sir Alex Ferguson's vitriolic defence of £28million Argentinian Juan Sebastian Veron, Keane revealed his own theories on a season which could see the Red Devils without silverware for the first time since 1998.

Keane said: 'There's a lot of cover-ups here sometimes. Players need to stand up and be counted. I'm not sure that happens a lot at this club. We are not asking the players to perform miracles, we're asking them to do what they should be doing.

'When players don't do that it's bloody frustrating. If we end up with no trophies, there's something wrong.'

-----------

It's rather pathetic when it's only Roy Keane who has got the nerve to stand up and tell the unvarnished truth. His comments about prawn sandwiches probably led to the shake up of United's squad last season. With the captain, who more often than not speaks for Fergie too, saying things like this it seems obvious that United are approaching a day of reckoning soon.

But here's a few questions:

Was this year's title United's to lose or is the Premiership an open and competitive league like say, Seria A, where three teams realistically could have claimed the scudetto.

With the exception of filling gaps due to departing players such as Yorke, Irwin, and Blanc, after this season's "failed" experiment, does Fergie dare make any further adjustments to midfield.

See less See more
#2 ·
yes, I think adjustments are still needed. Scholes is still far too inconsistent, and its blatantly obvious that Butty is a sub standard replacement for Keano. But maybe its just a case of playing JSV a bit more. I'm still not completely sure that Veron has gone. I think there is still a place for him. He's been pretty poor at times, for sure, but remember Ince? It took him 2 seasons, but it was worth the wait (even though he was a tw@t). Like the top scouser of them all said 'Football isn't a sprint, its a marathon'. Sometimes you need patience. I would honestly like to see him stay, and perform to the standard he achieved at Lazio. A top performing Veron might be all we need.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.