Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we seem to have different opinions about this position..i would rather see pranjic there as he is someone who can make those maurauding runs down the left side like he did at the euros..joe is more sound defensively but provides nothing on offense and is exremely slow and against a fast winger he would have alot of trouble handling pace..we really dont have a leftback on our team as pranjic is more of a wingback and joe is a centerback who has played leftback for us but he has said in the past he prefers his natural position centerback..id rather have the attacking option pranjic there and play 2 creative mids kranjcar/rakitic and modric..if one of the mods could put this to a poll that would be nice..

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
of course, I would opt for Pranjic. Why cut against the grain of having a nice attacking technician filling this position. So long as you have a smart DM --you have little to worry about. Simunic would be a liability in this position. If some on here are correct about his dexterity and ability to play on the left fine. But I have seen backs worlds better than him look disfigured and trampled playing the Left Side. Really.

The lad is a very decent CB. It is odd how this is viewed as the only position of concern (outside of DM which is the most important tempo setting position--I say shore this thing up).

Funny how the team now looks so promising in the Back.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Why would we give up the attack on the left ? I know Pranjic is better in the mid but who do you cut from the mid then? Plus who leads the attack from the backline then? Having both Pranjic and Corluka back there allows our team to move that ball forward without slowing tempo down. I think it was a big reason we ran over the Germans

·
International
8,545 Posts
When Simiunic played LB against England twice we only conceded 2 goals in 2 games whereas with Pranjic there we got 4 in 1 game.

We're not Brazil guys, if the opposition scores 4 we won't score 5.

Running up the flank from defense is a total waste of Pranjic's abilities.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
When Simiunic played LB against England twice we only conceded 2 goals in 2 games whereas with Pranjic there we got 4 in 1 game.

That's a good point Ivo, but you can't compare Steve Mclarens England to Cappello's. Its day and night. Mclaren could be comparable to a Cico Kranjcar, he played the same players always and for a while that works, but he had no ideas of what to do when that stopped working. Cappello has England firing on all cylinders and even if Simunic was our LB that game we would've lost because we lost a very tight and close midfield battle that game. I am of the opinion that Pranjic should be our Left Midfield! He offers so much more there than at LB, but putting Simunic back in the LB position would be a step back in trying to create a stronger team(which is what I believe Bilic and co. are trying to do). We really have no one that's able to play that position properly so I say we're screwed for now:happy: Only if Marko Babic accepted Bilic's offer to play there in 2006 we wouldn't be talking about this at all. Babic at LB and Srna at RB would've been the perfect wing back attackers to have, and both can hold their own on the defensive end physically and mentally. I hate sacrificing Pranjic at LB though. A midfield of Pranjic-Vukojevic-Modric-Rakitic would be ideal in my thoughts. Kranjcar would be the super sub and that's that.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Yeah but remember Simunic's performance at Wembley? Against Israel away?

It's a massive long shot and gamble but i think we need to call on Cale for the next match.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Neither Pranjic or Simunic are suited to play at LB at the highest level and having either of them play that position makes our team unbalanced. Unfortunately our manager will only try a 4 man backfield so we have limited options.

Out of the two of them, Pranjic is the better option, while he has looked shaky in some outings the positives outweigh the negatives and he looks great when playing with an in-form Rakitic. Babic is out of the question though until he finds a new club and starts playing good football again theres no way he should replace Pranjic. Ideally we would have a proper LB and a lineup that would look something like this:

------------------------------------Pletikosa--------------------------------------
---Srna-------------------Krizanac-------------Simunic-------------------LB------
------------------------------------Corluka--------------------------------------
---------------------------Modric--------------Rakitic----------------------------
---------Kranjcar------------------------------------------------Pranjic----------
------------------------------------Eduardo-------------------------------------

I think this lineup is best suited to our players strenghts instead of plugging players into a 4-4-2. Bilic has created this problem himself..

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
It's hard to overlook Pranjic, he is in much better form at LM than either Rakitic or Kranjcar. Amazing form coupled with athleticism, talent, work ethic and skills..

·
Registered
70,282 Posts
is Seric playing at all for Besiktas? Though he and Bilic got into an arguement so no shot at that.

I agree with samardzija, it may be a stretch but I'd call up Cale to the squad at least, especially if he continues to play well for Trabzonspor

·
Registered
75 Posts
We might as well play a 5-3-2/3-5-2 then.... I think this is the best line we can boast in the upcoming year say if Eduardo can return to glory and if Rakitic/Petric can fill in as supporting strikers. Like many of you here, I also think that two offensive mids would be a great Idea. Now all of you might sit back look at this and say I am crazy but if we lay out the 98' squad and compare each player in each role I think we are pretty damn close in terms of quality!

---------------------Pletikosa----------------------
---------------------Krizanac-----------------------
---------Corluka-------------------Simunic----------
Srna----------------Vukojevic----------------Pranjic
------------Kranjcar-----------Modric---------------
----------------------------------------------------
----------------Rakitic------------------------------
------------------------------Eduardo--------------

If you were to combine a dream team of today's players and those who started in the 98' final tournament this is who i would pick...

--------------------Pletikosa-----------------------
---------------------Stimac------------------------
---------Corluka----------------Simunic-------------
Srna-----------------Boban-------------------Jarni-
-----------Prosinecki-----------Modric--------------
---------------Eduardo-----Suker-------------------

I think Pletikosa is a better goalman then Ladic. But its pretty damn close!

Since R.Kovac is most likely finished I would have to pick Stimac over Krizanac strictly because I have yet to see him in a big game! R.Kovac to me was overall a better defender then Stimac but again its close!

Corluka I would have to pick over Simic as both are sound defenders but Corluka boasts a bigger frame and can add more to offense like Simunic. Simunic I pick over Bilic as he is more well rounded for that position but if I were looking for a left back Bilic would be my man!

On the wings Jarni outclasses Pranjic but its pretty close as I think Pranjic can help us do alot more on the left then we think if given more space and chances! He is in a pretty limited role at LB!

Srna is all around better then Stanic.. not much more to say there.

No one can touch Boban in the CM role! But Over Vukojevic/N.Kovac as second spot I would still rather have Soldo there!

Prosinecki is just a better version of Kranjcar but you see the similarities in style!

Modric and Asanovic are two totally different players but I would have to give Modric the nod here as I think he would be more deadly!

There is one and only Suker!

Eduardo I think is better then Vlaovic but Boksic is still the man!

So if I count today's players that I would insert in the 98' starting line-up its 6...........more then half the starting line-up then.

We still have a stronger back line today I think and
on the wings Stanic and Pranjic are similar in that they add more to offense then defense while Srna like Jarni are more well rounded! In the middle we obviously do not have the same quality but we are not far off as Modric, Rakitic, Kranjcar are not even in there prime yet!

In attack Eduardo has shown to be lethal in scoring and if healthy he might be able to beat the record of Suker one day! I also think that the bench striking options now have better depth then the bench striking options then.

Today you do not see the 3-5-2 much any more but if done right I think its still the most potent! We do have the players! The difference in the middle may not be so evident now but say in 2 years if not sooner Kranjcar, Rakitic, Modric may match the strength of our middle big three Boban, Prosinecki, Asanovic and then I think we can do alot of damage in South Africa, Euro 2012, and possibly the next WC after this one!

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
i'd rather have the liability of simunic at lb. granted some speed is lost, but the back 4 would at least be harder to penetrate. now, pranjic in the midfield would give rise to more scoring opportunities, better flow and rhythm of the game, and by controlling the midfield it would be less likely teams would have great chances on both flanks. so i am all for it; let pranjic roam in his natural position and a let an established defender deal with the lb.
then again, i disagree with ivo that pranjic was the sole reason for the lousy loss to england. he made one mistake that led to the obvious lead in the first half. in the second, the red card changed the whole outlook to the game. like i said, as the game was played, not one of the players wanted any part of bunker tactics. they were all pushing forward, especially srna, which funny enough even led to the only goal with a man less!! capello or no capello, that game was a fluke imo.

·
Thought Criminal
14,014 Posts
---------Corluka-------------------Simunic----------
Srna----------------Vukojevic----------------Pranjic
------------Kranjcar-----------Modric---------------
----------------Rakitic------------------------------

i really like this and think with what we have this would be our smartest option against ANYONE

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I think moving away from 4 at the back is suicide, again.

·
Thought Criminal
14,014 Posts
I think moving away from 4 at the back is suicide, again.
why?

we had a very different team prior to and in 06...

i think we should give it a shot...LB is killing us.

if you look at that formation and everyone in it...it makes to much sense. i dont care about what they play in their clubs...this is the NT and they a pro footballers and these positions are suited perfectly to them ALL

if i was to do anything to that formation it would be this:

---------Knezevic----------------Simunic----------
Srna----------------Corluka----------------Pranjic
-------------Rakitic----------Modric---------------
----------------Kranjcar------------------------------

with Corluka there it almost looks like an arsenal team with Viera in it...i can see it now...i hate dreaming baout formations like this...Bilic for everything great he has done, wont take the next step...Look at Lippi. he has playing all youth. You know Italy by this WC or next euro are gonna come up bigtime.

Kovacs mrs.

sorry but just get out.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I wouldnt play a 5/3/2 or a 3/5/2 as we like to call it.

1. We play gopod football playing the formation we currently play.
2. Our players play the 442 formation week in and week oUT.

The answer to our LB problems is neither Pranjić or Šimunić, they are both short term solutions to a long term problem. A long term solution would be a player who plays LB at his club consistently. Unfortunately we dont have a player like that (Čale possibly but I havent seen him play lately, and Šerić who Bilić had a falling out with)

Untill we find a solution to the LB problem, I would stick with Pranjić over Šimunić as I dont blame him for the loss vs England (We went down 1:0 due to his mistake but that wasnt a LB mistake, went down to 10 menn, and tried to attack because we played at home and had to play catch up, conceeded the second and it was goodnight)

Anyway we desperatly need someone to stand up and be counted for the LB position!

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
3-5-2 would be a disaster IMO, I was so releived that Bilic reinstated the 4-4-2, our formation killed us against the Aussies..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts