Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pozzo laments nightmare term Wednesday 8 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Udinese patron Gianpaolo Pozzo has conceded that the 2005-06 campaign has been one to forget.

The Bianconeri started the season with great hopes after almost reaching the knock-out stages of the Champions League, but it’s been all downhill since that costly 2-0 home defeat to Barcelona.

“From the Champions League to Serie B? I don’t even want to think about such a possibility,” Pozzo sulked.

“We’ve had a massacre of a season, one which started very early with the Champions League preliminaries and having a game every three days.

“We were perhaps not used to that and maybe we didn’t have the right sort of squad for such a schedule.”

Pozzo, who was recently forced to sack boss Serse Cosmi, also seemed to have regrets about keeping Vincenzo Iaquinta in the summer.

Although he is undoubtedly his club’s biggest name player, the striker has endured a campaign hit by injury and lack of form.

“I could have sold him last year but I didn’t know how this season would turn out for him,” continued the Stadio Friuli chief.

“Unfortunately he had an injury which kept him out for two months and only now is he recovering from that.

“Nevertheless, I don’t think his market value has deteriorated because of it. A centre-forward like him is still worth around £15m.”

Udinese, who were held to a 1-1 draw by Ascoli at the weekend, have 28 points to their name – just five above the relegation zone.

channel4

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
:mad: :undecide: :groan: :ass: :flirt: :happy:
:frustrat: :scared: :rolleyes: :scream: :greed: :cap: :moan: :strong: :confused: :lazy: :nasty: :thumbsup: :hopefull: :rollani:
:drunk: :party: :eek: :heart: :howler: :thmbdown: :proud: :yuck:
:excited: :relieved: :smileani:
:stoned: :neutral: :lick: :pp :embarass: :) :notlist: :angel: :doh: mmmm....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts