Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SWITZERLAND (goalnetwork) -- South Africa’s World Cup 2006 bid team slammed FIFA after losing by one vote to Germany today and singled out Oceania's Charles Dempsey for special anger.
South African bid leader Danny Jordaan said: "Africa is a member of the FIFA family and a family can't keep feeding one child and leaving the others to starve which is what they have done today. The World Cup would have made a major impact on our country, our continent and our lives."

Former England winger Terry Paine, now a South African TV soccer presenter, reserved his anger for Dempsey most of all. The New Zealand representative ignored the mandate of his Oceania federation to vote for South Africa once England had been eliminated.

Instead he abstained on the final vote, leaving Germany to win 12-11. Had he voted as instructed, FIFA president Sepp Blatter would have had the casting vote, and come down in favour of South Africa.

Paine said: "I don’t understand how Charles Dempsey could vote in the first and second rounds and then abstain because of personal politics. This sets us back enormously. I don't know where African soccer goes from here.

"If we'd won the World Cup bid we could have afforded to keep hundreds of top African players in Africa. Now the exodus will continue because we don't have the money to pay the wages they can in Europe."

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Gary Bailey, another member of the South African delegation added: "This is a major, major blow to African football and Africa socially, politically and economically."

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I guess he might have voted for them if he had'nt recieved death threats the night before to vote for South Africa. Who needs that pressure?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Quite a nerve they have complaining, after all the "hits under the belt" they gave all other candidates. Brazil withdrawn due to a vote exchange, England officially complaining to FIFA for bias, Germany almost withdrawing...

I agree this is a blow to the Africans (mostly because they were so sure about it after Blatter had promised it) but they made their beds.

And what about the sport itself? South Africa's infrastructure in transports, telecommunications, accomodation (we shouldn't even talk about venues) would certainly NOT guarantee a succesful World Cup. It was all about politics really at the expense of football. I'm glad it ended this way.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Please...FIFA is ridiculous...instead of promoting the sport in the places where there's the most need for it they reward to yet another big European country....I am so sick of soccer's governing bodies...pathetic and sad :( :mad:

All of you who defend Germany getting the world cup really are not interested in the growth of the sport but in the stagnation of it!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hala what the Fu(K do you know have you ever been to SA.
Look at communications im speaking to you , do you know what that means we have computers and internet most households do.We are not like the rest of Africa.We are one of the fastest growing countries in the world.Fifa admited our stadiums were just as good as the Germans.Crime here is blown way into proportion.And accomadation SA is one of the biggest holiday detinations in the world.
But obviously you know nothing so dont judge a book by its cover.
Just hold on my Lions hungry i have to go feed it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts