Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear this!

FBI-Top Rank Scandal Heats Up
Posted on Saturday, January 10 @ 02:59:33 CST
Topic: Breaking News
By Rick Reeno

As reported earlier, the FBI raided the offices of Top Rank. There is a probe being conducted into the business practices of Top Rank and some of their fighters. The main subject is that the FBI claim to have proof that the De La Hoya rematch with Mosley was fixed.

Unless Arum had some under the table big money bet against his own fighter, I dont see a reason as to why a promoter would make his biggest money maker (not to mention the biggest in the sport) lose to a fighter not under his banner. Bob Arum, Gary Shaw (promoter of Mosley), attorney Judd Burnstein and ESPN' Teddy Atlas have all spoken out regarding the allegations.

Bob Arum's company Top Rank has issued a statement regarding the allegations: "Upon Mr. Arum's return to Las Vegas, he stated that Top Rank has done nothing wrong. Top Rank does not know the scope of the government's investigation. Top Rank is lawfully cooperating with that investigation. Top Rank will not comment on or respond to the rumors, speculations, and unverified allegations appearing in the media. Top Rank will continue to focus on its business of promoting its boxers and fights and appreciates all the support it has received from the boxing industry."

ESPN' Teddy Atlas stated earlier tonight that the FBI probe is centered around a September 2001 Jorge Paez KO3 win over Verdell Smith and not the De La Hoya-Mosley rematch.

Mosley's promoter Gary Shaw and Mosley's attorney Judd Burnstein also agree with Atlas that the De La Hoya-Mosley bout is not the real target of the probe and is nothing more then a cover for the real fight being investigated.

While boxing fans felt 2004 would be a big year for the sport, it appears to be a big year for scandal. We are only ten days into the year and already there is scandal at every turn. The enrtire saga with Roach and Murad over Pacquiao and now this mess with Top Rank has already sent the sport to a very bad start for the new year. We just have to sit tight and see how all of this plays out.
Interesting developments.

I didn't see those fights but one fight that really stank imo was the George Foreman - Axel Schulz fight a few years back and was Bob Arum the promoter there??!

They should also send a task force to Germany imo.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
"They should also send a task force to Germany in my opinion."

I never saw the matches themselves (only highlights... few and far between by the way), but two Danish boxers, especially Mads Larsen, were rather vocal about it being seemingly impossible to take on Sven Ottke in Germany... and while he thought the match was tight (Larsen) he thought the points decisions rediculous.
The media here was divided as some agreed and others felt Larsen himself had gone on to Ottke's defensive game and didn't do enough to win it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts