1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Postiga's for keeps

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 4/2/2004

HELDER POSTIGA has been told he has a future at Tottenham despite the £7million arrival of Jermain Defoe. The 20-year-old Portugal...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Postiga's for keeps
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

HELDER POSTIGA has been told he has a future at Tottenham despite the £7million arrival of Jermain Defoe.

The 20-year-old Portugal international has only scored two goals - one in the Premiership - since his £6.5m move from Porto in the summer.

But acting manager David Pleat believes it will take time for him to settle down and is pleased with all aspects of his play other than his finishing.

He is convinced that will improve and said: 'Helder is playing well and all four strikers will have their chance. That is only fair. All four give us something different.'

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Juve stage Saviola swoop Sunday 8 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Turin side is lining up a summer swoop for Barcelona’s want-away starlet Javier Saviola.

Juventus have long been interested in the 22-year-old Argentine and were heavily involved in negotiations before he eventually chose Barca.

However, he has struggled to settle in and recent disagreements with Coach Frank Rijkaard have seemingly spelled the end for his time at the Nou Camp.

Newspapers in his homeland maintain that Barcelona have begun offering Saviola’s services to a number of top European clubs for next season.

He was also linked to Inter and Milan before Christmas, but it seems that Juventus transfer guru Luciano Moggi is working to seal off any competition.

Trade links between the two clubs are already strong thanks to Edgar Davids’ January move to Barca and Moggi hopes to capitalise on that rapport as soon as possible.

The creative midfielder would bring that extra spark of vision to the Bianconeri side that has been somewhat lacking in recent years.

It is instead claimed that Milan will turn their attention towards Tottenham Hotspur enigma Helder Postiga.

The Portuguese international would join his fellow countryman Manuel Rui Costa at the San Siro in a deal worth £6m.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milan's shock Postiga move

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 8/2/2004

AC MILAN are reported to be willing to pay £6million to sign Spurs striker Helder Postiga. The Portugal international has hit the net...

Milan's shock Postiga move

AC MILAN are reported to be willing to pay £6million to sign Spurs striker Helder Postiga.

The Portugal international has hit the net just twice since his summer move from Porto.

And he has slipped down the pecking order at White Hart Lane following the signing of £7million striker Jermain Defoe.

Celta Vigo are also reputed to be interested in Postiga although acting manager David Pleat insists the 20-year-old has a future at White Hart Lane.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Don't shoot me down, but if we can still get £6,000,000 for Post man, we should cut our losses and let him go. Whilst I like him as much as the next fan, I think his style of play is better suited in serie A than it is in the EPL. Furthermore, we have three other EPL proven strikers and can use his money to add to the funds available and help subsidise transfer moves for players in other much needed areas (notably midfield, defence, goal.. :D)

·
Registered
59,048 Posts
I'd sell him if Milan indeed want to fork out so much for him. He needs more upper body strength to suceed in the premiership imo. , gets pushed off the ball way too easy at times. Hopefully if they have indeed made a bid, we can force them to make a swap with either Ambrosini or Martin Laursen coming the other way!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Ok so we are not Arsenal, M.U or Chelsea. But why can't we buy great prospects for the future?

Just 'cos the kid hasn't done great so far, what makes people think he won't be a wise buy for the future?

I still have great hope for the postman; and think it was a shrewd buy.

"he hates the Arsenal, he comes from Portugal, Postiga, waha waha..." :D

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I'm just saying that you've got quality strikers it will be hard for him to get a start.Compare Defoe to Postiga I'm not sure what age Defoe is but look defoe has played 3 games 4 goals postiga has played a couple of EPL games 2 goals. I might be a bit impatient to see this talent everyone points out.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Worried are ya?? :D

No, I understand what your saying. But what can you do? Defoe is English born and bred and was likely to settle sooner.

I base my belief on Posti' on the games I have seen so far.

YEs, he's missed some sitters; but I have been impressed with his wrok rate and technical skills. He will come good, I am 100% sure. I still believe he should be given a chance in midfield (based on what Portuguese friends have said).

One for the future no doubt. A lot of competition in his way. But would AC Milan put in an offer (rumours) if he wasn't a good player?

The kid has heart, but has had problems, but I think he will prove a shrewd buy...

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Reyes wasn't as expensive as what people think.

Wenger has been very clever on the transfers in his career, and I don't doubt that Reyes will be a smart move...

I'm just amazed Arsenal had THAT money considering the stadium move.

As an Arsenal fan, you should believe in Wenger, 'cos the guy is clued up.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Postiga's injury worry

By Neil Vaughan
Date: 26/2/2004

HELDER POSTIGA has reportedly flown to Kuwait for treatment on a thigh injury. The Spurs striker injured his thigh during the....

Postiga's injury worry
By Neil Vaughan for THEspursweb.com

HELDER POSTIGA has reportedly flown to Kuwait for treatment on a thigh injury.

The Spurs striker injured his thigh during the 4-3 defeat to Manchester City in the FA Cup on February 4.

The Portuguese international has had a tough first season in the Premiership since his £6.25million signing from FC Porto.

He now finds himself fourth choice striker behind Robbie Keane, Jermain Defoe and Fredi Kanoute.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Postiga on the mark

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 11/3/2004

HELDER POSTIGA scored one goal and set up the winner as Spurs beat Wimbledon reserves last night. The former Porto striker was...

Postiga on the mark

HELDER POSTIGA scored one goal and set up the winner as Spurs beat Wimbledon reserves last night.

The former Porto striker was on target in the 34th minute when he smacked in a cross from Mark Yeates to equalise.

And he was later impeded when he ran on to a Rohan Ricketts cross in the penalty area, leaving Jamie Redknapp to fire in a late equaliser.

Postiga has not played 90 minutes since pulling his hamstring early on
in the 4-3 FA Cup defeat to manchester City at the start of last month.

But he did leave the bench at the end of Tuesday's 1-0 defeat against Carling Cup winners Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium.

With Fredi Kanoute suffering from a mild hamstring injury, it is likely the Portugal international will now be on the bench as back-up to Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe when Newcastle visit White Hart Lane for a Premiership clash on Sunday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts