Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
International
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a little premature, but I guess with all the doom and gloom associated with our glorious exit from the UEFA Cup, it may be good to just list down the positives from this season.

This is my list of positives:

(a) Sinama-Pongolle exploding into the scene and showing so much promise in a season where other players wearing the red shirt have been disappointing.

(b) The signing of Kewell which gave us something to shout and cheer about as well as some of the spectacular goals he scored this season.

(c) Cheyrou going on a little run of good form in the middle of our season which, for a moment, nearly made good the promise from Houllier that he is the next Zidane.

(d) Stevie G who has been monumental for us this season and has certainly matured as a player. If not for him, we would have been fighting against relegation. He has been relatively injury-free as well.

(e) Baros showing little glimpses of his old self in recent matches.

(f) Hamann still delievering his goods consistently by playing the role he does best - midfield sweeper.

Please feel free to add any positives. :)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
King of the Kop said:
Wont argue with any of them, only other one i can think of is the chance that Houllier will finally go.Note the word chance.
Hi KOTk, got this off Teletext:

HOULLIER NOT READY TO GIVE UP

Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has dismissed claims he is set to step down as manager and retire from the game.

Houllier is under pressure after the Reds' Uefa Cup exit but said: "There is no chance I will consider retiring in the summer. That is not on the agenda.

"In an ideal world I want to finish my career with Liverpool. I am strong enough and if I had to leave I would still carry on with football."

Houllier meanwhile looks set to escape Uefa punishment following his outburst after the Reds crashed out of Europe against Marseille.

Houllier was fuming with referee Arturo Ibanez for sending off Igor Biscan and claimed that his side had had to play against 12 men.

But a Uefa spokesman told Teletext: "We have seen his comments but no action will be taken."

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Liverbird said:
I know this may be a little premature, but I guess with all the doom and gloom associated with our glorious exit from the UEFA Cup, it may be good to just list down the positives from this season.

This is my list of positives:

(a) Sinama-Pongolle exploding into the scene and showing so much promise in a season where other players wearing the red shirt have been disappointing.

(b) The signing of Kewell which gave us something to shout and cheer about as well as some of the spectacular goals he scored this season.

(c) Cheyrou going on a little run of good form in the middle of our season which, for a moment, nearly made good the promise from Houllier that he is the next Zidane.

(d) Stevie G who has been monumental for us this season and has certainly matured as a player. If not for him, we would have been fighting against relegation. He has been relatively injury-free as well.

(e) Baros showing little glimpses of his old self in recent matches.

(f) Hamann still delievering his goods consistently by playing the role he does best - midfield sweeper.

Please feel free to add any positives. :)
Good post Liverbird, not really much to add to that. Maybe the first half performance at home to Arsenal was a positive for me as well. Pity we couldn't keep it up for the second half.

Other than that I can only think of one more positive - the season is nearly over.:D

D

·
0 Posts
the biggest positive from this season, is that it will be Hooflier's last season in charge, he'll be off destroying some other club next year, if anyone is stupid enough to take him on that is.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
the biggest positive from this season, is that it will be Hooflier's last season in charge, he'll be off destroying some other club next year, if anyone is stupid enough to take him on that is.
Doc, that's not a certainty yet.. but keep your fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
The only positive sign this season for Liverpool is that they didnt get relegated:D

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
I was just about to say the same thing.

Apart from it,Gerrard kept on going when the easier option would have been to slack off like the rest of the team.

However I disagree on Kewell.He still is nowhere near the class he showed suring his initial years at Leeds.Still too inconsistent for me especially considering that he's one of the major performers on whom the team depend upon.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Kewell made a few good appearances at the beginning of the season and then disappeared. He's the kind of player that goes with the form of the team, when the team is good so is Kewell but when the team is bad so is he.

As for Houllier...honestly, I'll believe Houllier is out when I see it. It doesn't seem like our board is fed-up with him at all.

I think the treble was sadly and ironically one of the worst things that happened to us in recent years. If not for that, GH wouldn't have been in charge today. It was a great season, which gave him unlimited credit from the board, unfortunately he kept wasting it. I would like to show sympathy towards him but he never gives-up and refuses to acknowledge that he has failed.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Firenze said:
Trust me, plenty of English clubs will want him. Plenty.
see, Firenze, it's a special country where you r nothing if your a local lad but if you r a foreign moron you'll be worshipped. Santini's salary is 1/6 of that of Ericsson's and they didn't sign an extension untill after the euros are over, while Ericsson (despite all his antics) got the contract on the silver platter. There never have been even a half percent of certainty over the next game, his team is average at best, still he was begged to stay as if he made England kings of the world. One has to be completely blind to see the indifference that he shows towards his job, but go figure...

back to ged though. if he stays in the country i can't see him getting hired even by Tranmere.

·
Registered
243 Posts
see, Firenze, it's a special country where you r nothing if your a local lad but if you r a foreign moron you'll be worshipped. Santini's salary is 1/6 of that of Ericsson's and they didn't sign an extension untill after the euros are over, while Ericsson (despite all his antics) got the contract on the silver platter. There never have been even a half percent of certainty over the next game, his team is average at best, still he was begged to stay as if he made England kings of the world. One has to be completely blind to see the indifference that he shows towards his job, but go figure...
Zico, why would you want to pay Santini more (they say it's 1/10th of Ericsson's salary) or give him a new contract. His team is playing great without any additional incentive. They haven't lost a single match under him, winning all of their Euro2004 qualifiers. Greedysson needs even more money in his pocket if England is to have any hope of playing well.

FA is the single major reason of why England national team is so underachieved. Liverpool Board has an exceptional example. I think they should keep GH and raise his salary every quarter until Liverpool starts playing better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts