Santa Clara vs Beira-Mar 1,500
Gil Vicente vs Uniao de Leiria 3,500
Guimaraes vs Belenenses 6,318
Maritimo vs Salgueiros 1,500
Benfica vs Sporting 42,290

Sporting vs Benfica outdrew the other eight games
by almost 13,000
and that's are soccer what can be done?
Don't blame it all on the referee's and TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The attendances in Portugal are embarassing. Yet, in the MLS-USA, whose teams draw more (except for the top three of portugal), they get no respect despite having better attendance numbers. Go figure.

M

·
0 Posts
The problem is that the smaller teams in the league show no ambition. They sign no good players and sell any ones they have straight away to other teams. in turn the fans of the bigger teams dont see them as big games and stay at home. TV is also a big problem. All games are on live and fans stay away from smaller games. Apart from that most of Portugal are glory supporters and support one of the big 3!!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I'm not sure if that is a sign of no ambition or simply the econimics of the small club. Most small clubs exist on the money they get from selling whatever players they have of value. Same thing happens in South America.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Frank Cunha said:
Boavista vs Varzim 4,500
Braga vs Porto 9,000
Farense vs Alverca 1,000
P. Ferreira vs V. Setubal 2,000
Santa Clara vs Beira-Mar 1,500
Gil Vicente vs Uniao de Leiria 3,500
Guimaraes vs Belenenses 6,318
Maritimo vs Salgueiros 1,500
Benfica vs Sporting 42,290

:eekani: . I don't believe it. These figures (Benfica-sporting excluded) are as bad as the Australian NSL :howler: which from a portuguese POV must be embarassing considering that unlike the MLS (which at least has some structure and tries to encapsulate American sporting ideas), the NSL is a third rate competition with a mix of pro and semi-pro clubs, some monoculturally aligned, many clubs struggling financially, minimal media coverage and competition from the much for glamarous football codes AFL, Rugby league and Rugby Union

etc.....

I don't think any team in Oz has drawn 1,000 or less spectators this season yet in a football mad country like Portugal 4 games draw 2,000 spectators or less.

yeah i don't get it either :confused:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
One reason for low attendance has to be the quality of the game played by most of the teams, that mostly results from the players quality, small teams sell they best players to the big ones for the economic reasons than Dae said, then the big 3 sell them to foreign teams.

The last time, some weeks ago, I went to a game I was so disappointed that I'll be thinking twice before I pay again to see something that I can watch on tv. And I know its not the same, but the game wasnt worth even the 8 euros of the ticket.
I also think the tickets are sometimes to expensive for the average portuguese football fan.

I think it's a good idea that woman have free entry to games in Portugal. It will make more people show up to the games and create a good atmosphere.;) :D

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I think that the lack of alcohol, cheerleaders, and rock'n'roll at these soccer games is killing it! People would much rather drink a beer while watching a game! I hate that about Portugal no beer in the stadium!

Why do you's think in Brazil most games have huge crowds, especially the big games 120,000 heads in a stadium! It's cuz of Brazillian women, they come to games in bikini's dancing to Samba in the stands that would make any man want to attend games!

Portuguese girls are too conservative, on RTP they show Portuguese women sometimes in the stands and when they notice the camera is on them they put their flags over their faces and most of the time they are wearing turtle necks, no skin! Come on girls shake them money makers!

But those 3 thing are the cornerstone of Sports in the U.S. and we draw some great crowds regardless of the sport!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason is simple why go to a game when the game his on TV, and the starting time is 9 PM. Five to six games are televise, only three Sunday afternoon games are not.
This are the facts why hiding the attendances, they have to find ways of bringing the fans back. I expect the 2004 with 10 new stadiums in the first step.
I will be posting the attendances weekly. It hurts but its the true.

·
Registered
642 Posts
ALCATRAZ said:
I think that the lack of alcohol, cheerleaders, and rock'n'roll at these soccer games is killing it! People would much rather drink a beer while watching a game! I hate that about Portugal no beer in the stadium!

Why do you's think in Brazil most games have huge crowds, especially the big games 120,000 heads in a stadium! It's cuz of Brazillian women, they come to games in bikini's dancing to Samba in the stands that would make any man want to attend games!

Portuguese girls are too conservative, on RTP they show Portuguese women sometimes in the stands and when they notice the camera is on them they put their flags over their faces and most of the time they are wearing turtle necks, no skin! Come on girls shake them money makers!

But those 3 thing are the cornerstone of Sports in the U.S. and we draw some great crowds regardless of the sport!
Alc smacked it out of the stadium at dat one. I was thinkin about the probs that TV and high ticket prices cause on the attendance; but really if theres BEER and BOOTY forget about it, any red blooded male will be there to enjoy the spectecal, plus the football.

Ill never forget the shock when in 1993 when I went to visit my beloved Luz stadium for the first and only time in my life, & at half time winning 3 nil against Chaves I think or someone I decided to go grab a coldy to enjoy the moment. So I went off with my uncle to the bar (store wahteva u call it) and ordered a BEER. As the girl was pouring it I noticed a "NON ALCOHOLIC" sign next to the price of the beer. I was shocked, stupefied and numb all at once; I dnever heard of such an outrage, whats the point really -NON ALCOHOLIC BEER, its unheard of, whats the point really. No joke in Australia if you tried to pull a stunt like that it would be life threatening.

I was trully shocked, I couldnt belive it, I gasped at the prospect of drinkin a NAB, i asked the lady "how can this be" and i got some silly replry that it wasnt legal. Anyways I dared a sip of this most foul invention hoping that it was some cruel joke, but alas the disgusting taste of NAB hit the bak of my throat & i chucked the thing away in disgust.

This must be outlawed, its amazing to me that in a country where u can buy beer at both McDonalds and any corner store (man I loved that) you cant buy a beer at a football match - no wonder the crowds are down.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Dae said:
I'm not sure if that is a sign of no ambition or simply the econimics of the small club. Most small clubs exist on the money they get from selling whatever players they have of value. Same thing happens in South America.
Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!

In Portugal you would think they would have a little Interest on what happens through the gate !!!!!!!

MAN !!!!!!!
1000 people makes a story !! yet these figures make a diffrence through the gate in Portugal ! are they that corrupt !! THINK 1000 people at AU$5 a head :) hehehehe

Someone has had dinner ;)

I beleive there was only 458 paying customers in Madeira on the weekend ;) !!!!!! ( someone is telling lies ) !!!!!

For 1 second there was only farck all people in the crowd !!!

Yes there was no One !!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Free Sardines and Chicken Piri Piri should have them kicking the gates in.

Some of the games we get in Ireland would require them to sell Brandy rather than beer inside the ground.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Badge said:
Free Sardines and Chicken Piri Piri should have them kicking the gates in.

Bwahahahahah:D

That's the best suggestion I've heard yet! Sh*t! Just add a couple of picnic tables and the problem will be getting rid fo them after the game.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You can try what badge said...........

or..................

You can half the normal ticket price try and attract twice as many customers and try & CLEAN UP IN MERCHANDISE SALES !! tHE WC is ON TRY & CLEAN UP WHILE THE IRONS HOT !!! Also there are fast foods stands if there is ywice the crowd at half price ....surely there will be increased sales !!!!!!!!!

Man I dont wanna get into this technically tonite.... CHIT I have Ideas for Portuguese Futebol !!!

I have an isfaraucture for everything !!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Porto 5-Santa Clara 3 attendance for the game 21,745
Setubal2-Sporting 2 19,000
Benfica 2-Boavista -1 30,000
Leiria 4-Farense-1 N/A
Varzim-0-Maritimo-1 10,500
Gil Vicente-3-Salgueiros-2 4,000
Beira-Mar-0-Pacos de Ferreira -2 8,000

The attendance were a improvement over the last couple weeks.

M

·
0 Posts
the introduction of Season tickets could be an idea! say if t hey attend all of the home games they get a free shirt!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
manuel said:
the introduction of Season tickets could be an idea! say if t hey attend all of the home games they get a free shirt!
They have been introduced ages ago
:)

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
ALCATRAZ said:

Ditto!:D :cool:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I suggested this for the World Cup: How about if we limit the sell to weed?

What better way to curb drunken behavior other than getting 77 thousand unmotivated and happy-go-lucky stoned fans?

·
International
5,629 Posts
Great idea! But you'd need Domes to play the game in, in order to have that Bong affect! :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts