1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
You cant go by what anyone says anymore.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The big teams do buy a great number of crappy players and crappy foreign players . Mostly Porto and Benfica-Ibarra , Quintana , Anderson , Julio ceaser , Pena , the Greek player<sporting> , Pesaresi , Porfirio , soderstrom, Diogo Miguel , Esnider , quim berto , medirck<croation , fc Porto> Argel ect . Zahovic , he played the best club football of his career at Porto in the latter half of 1990s. There is some truth to what he says.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Older players also said Portugal would get past the first round and Argentina would win the world cup... but they were wrong too.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I somehow believe some of the things that were said in that article. Portuguese clubs sold many great players which actually decreased the leages status among other European leages. Sporting sold Figo, Benfica sold Rui Costa and Nuno Gomes, Sporting again with Viana now. But you have to understand that they sold these players so they would have money. They would have loved to keep them, but they needed money.

G

·
Cash is needed throuout the league. Smaller clubs dont have any not a penny so any money they get is welcome. But then they replace them with ****e cheap players.

Santa Clara were hammered today 5-1 by some croation team. Portuguese football sucks!:(

Another thing when was the last time we saw more then 15 minutes of football in a game. I cant remember. Players dive to much to con the ref but it ruins the visual specticle.

What the smaller clubs need is a better youth systems. Take a look at Crewe in England for example. They are a small club they have almost no money but what money they do have goes into producing young talent. They make there first appearances at about 17!! Then if they do well big clubs get interested and they sell them for bigger money. But they also put a sell on clause.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
But sometimes it is a good thing to keep your players in the country. When we look at successful national teams like England, Italy,Germany,and Spain; there's one key facotr that stands out, all there talent is within the country. Portugal's main talent is spread out throughout Europe. I believe if the players were a little bit more united we may have had a much better program. In the early 90's when the Golden Generation won their Youth Championship titles, there were all in Portugal playing in seperate clubs, but they were all in Portugal. Now Portugal's objective is to try to keep the talent in Portugal and let it grow it Portugal. I'll say it now and I'll say it again, Portugal in my eyes can't win a World Cup unless they are united and that goes for every other team aswell.

·
&#9484;&#8745;&#9488;(&#9699;_&#9698;)&#9484;&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
manuel said:
But then they replace them with ****e cheap players.

Right on , that is what he is basically trying to say. The scouts of the big teams are blind as a bat except for Sporting and Boavistas .The teams do make their majority of revenue through European competitions and if they do not participate in any of the European competitions for quite a while-they would have to sell their star players to avert dire financial straits. :depress:

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Well the fact is that selling off the players gives them more experience. I mean Figo surely got one hell of an experience at Real Madrid. And the same for Nuno Gomes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes,yes,yes! i love benfica and portuguese football but that colum was right on the money. think if all are great portuguese players were in the portuguese league, spread out through different teams, are league would attract some of the best players in the world. are teams would start wining european glory, and not just dreaming about it. are league would become one of the best, spain epl, itlay, germany would all take notice! but before anything can come up, we must hit rock bootom, were all most there, and one morething for all of who think it could experince for are boys to play in other league you can kiss my portuguese a:howler: :howler: !!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
47 Posts
The portuguese teams playing at the intertoto sucked big time.The exception was Leiria but in that case the situation wasn't good for portuguese soccer neither.

·
Registered
314 Posts
freebird said:
yes,yes,yes! i love benfica and portuguese football but that colum was right on the money. think if all are great portuguese players were in the portuguese league, spread out through different teams, are league would attract some of the best players in the world. are teams would start wining european glory, and not just dreaming about it. are league would become one of the best, spain epl, itlay, germany would all take notice! but before anything can come up, we must hit rock bootom, were all most there, and one morething for all of who think it could experince for are boys to play in other league you can kiss my portuguese a:howler: :howler: !!!!!!!!!!!!1
Almost hit rock bottom? Dude, we're already there...:depress:

Look at our league, even the leagues of Greece and Turkey are ahead of us, and it's really discouraging to see teams from Israel play better football then our so-called best clubs..

There was a time back in the day when meeting up with a team from Greece, Sweden, Turkey, Switzerland etc would have been a walk-over for our 'Big Three' , now even against them we're underdogs...no disrespect to them but, but c'mon..

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
This is nothing new. What other countries do with $, we have to do with imagination, good scouting - and what we've always done - which is namely churning out lots of good young players. I've always said, I'm all for their leaving Portugal to play in a bigger league, against better players at a higher level of competition, but ONLY ONCE they've gained some experience and loyalty to a Portuguese club. Those formative years are important and for that reason I'd like to see them stick around until they're at 22 years old or so.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Yea we do suck, well with some exceptions. Basically it was the right move moving Figo, and Rui Costa out and numerous great players, because they wouldn't be as great if they stayed.

Basically the Portuguese Clubs need more money. Unfortunatly it may not happen. Manchester United has more money than all the entire Portuguese Primeira Liga Clubs. Remember the Portuguese Clubs don't have any owners. The members are the owners, they pay for there membership which keeps the franchise alive. If some of the Portuguese Clubs had owner maybe it would be a different story. Manchester United has an owner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts