Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 7.7%
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the US defense hold out against the powerful portuguese????

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Americans only chance is to pack the defense with 11 men behind the ball and hold on foe dear life

Even with this strategy, we will score 30 minutes into the game, and go on to a 3-0 victory.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Thursday, May 30, 2002

Keller injury not that serious for U.S.
Paul Holmes

SEOUL (Reuters) - Goalkeeper Kasey Keller's elbow injury is not serious enough to dash his World Cup hopes, U.S. coach Bruce Arena has said.

Keller (right) injury gives Friedel (left) edge in goalkeeper battle
(ESPNdeportes.com)

Keller, who is battling with Brad Friedel for the regular keeper's slot in the U.S. side, hurt his left elbow during training on Wednesday. Hospital tests showed nothing more serious than bruising.

'Kasey's injury, from what I understand at the moment, is nothing that we need to be concerned about in the long term,' Arena told a media briefing.

'It's something of the short term and whether that means another day, another few days, three days, four days, who knows.

'We have to see how he responds to treatment but we are not concerned that Kasey's injury is one which is going to interfere with his ability to play in this World Cup.'

The 32-year-old, who plays for Tottenham Hotspur, missed training on Thursday. The entire squad has Friday off.

The United States play their group D opening game against Portugal in Suwon on June 5. The first round group also includes Poland and co-hosts South Korea.

Arena said he expected to have made up his mind by Sunday on the starting line-up for next Wednesday's match. He signalled Keller was still in the running for a place, elbow permitting, and that he could play Friedel as well during the tournament.

'We haven't made a determination what we are going to do. I think they are both quality keepers,' Arena said. 'I think you'll see in this World Cup that there is going to be a number of countries that are going to use more than one goalkeeper.'

Keller played in two of the three United States matches at the last World Cup in France in 1998 with Friedel, a premier league rival at Blackburn Rovers, appearing in the third.

The United States are back for their fourth straight World Cup. Arena said he was optimistic they could better their performance four years ago and make it to the second round.

soccernet

·
Registered
57 Posts
Figo Rules said:
The Americans only chance is to pack the defense with 11 men behind the ball and hold on foe dear life

Even with this strategy, we will score 30 minutes into the game, and go on to a 3-0 victory.
That's not Arena's style. The US will attack. But the defense is suspect.

I can see the US getting a point outta this one.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have to say that I have never been witness to such cockeyed optimism.

Listen to these quotes "I can see the US winning, I can see them get a point here, win there, etc..." For a team finishing third in arguably the weakest qualifying zone, and finishing dead last 4 years ago, Americans sure do live up to their cocky characteristics.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am PZ.....

Whatever Arena's "style"; the Portuguese have brought much better teams to their knees, forcing them to defend heavily and hope to hit on the counter.

I'm not sure if American fans know what they're in for; if they know how good Portugal is on the ball.

I would respect the US much more if they did try to attack and try to make it an open, attractive game, but that would leave their defenders vulnerable; and things could get very ugly.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
not much a fan of the american soccer although i live in the US...i think the US is not too bad but no way they can beat portugal...who's gonna defend figo?? who's gonna shut down rui costa?? who's gonna stop conceicao??

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would love for the US to pull out the upset, but they will need more than just the CIA :cool: and the FBI :cool: o get past Portugal. :wallbang: :wal:cool: lbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

Expect helicopters to fly by every 5 minutes over the stadium:cool:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
SEOUL, June 2 (AFP)
Portugal can shine brightly at the World Cup and will not allow injury to Liverpool defender Abel Xavier to deflect them from their task against the United States at Suwon on Wednesday, according to defender Nuno Frechaut.

The Portuguese, playing in only their third finals but semi-finalists in the 2000 European Championships, should make it out of a group which also contains co-hosts South Korea and Poland, and they are confident that they can get off to a winning start.

"We all want to be world champions. We are a good, solid side and we can have a great World Cup," said 24-year-old Boavista defender Frechaut.

Frechaut has warned his colleagues not to see the USA match as an easy baptism at this year's event - the first time that the "Seleccao" have made the finals since 1986.

"It'll be a tough game - but if we concentrate 100 percent then we can win. If we all keep concentrating on training we will be able to achieve our goal of winning the World Cup."

Regarding Xavier, who is set to be out of action for a week with a pulled left hamstring, Frechaut admitted that "this doesn't exactly make our lives easier and I regret he won't be on hand for us.

"We need all hands on deck - but we have other players who can operate on the right side of defence, for example Beto."

Beto, a 26-year-old from Sporting, played in the majority of his country's qualifiers, where Portugal knocked out Holland to take their place.

With midfield veteran Paulo Sousa already carrying an injury, Xavier's absence poses a further headache to coach Antonio Oliveira as the Portuguese attempt to build on their passage to the semi-finals of Euro 2000 in this, only their third World Cup.

Teenage playmaker Hugo Viana of Portuguese league champions Sporting Lisbon, a star of the under-21 side and a target for Juventus, gets his chance because Daniel Kenedy was left off the squad after a drug test turned up the banned diuretic furosemide, which can be used to mask other substances.

And the 19-year-old intends to seize his chance with both hands.

"Any team would dream of winning the World Cup - and if we give it our best shot playing our best football there's no reason why we can't do it. I am looking forward to it and if I can play I will be immensely happy," he told reporters following a Saturday workout in Seoul.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Portugal just has a superb team all around the park so I am predicting them to come away with a 2-0 victory :cool: and reach the semi finals I reckon.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I want the US to win this one, and I will wake up at 3:40 for this match, but I think Portugal will win 2-0 in this game.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Mathis may not start World Cup opener for Americans

June 2, 2002

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) --

Cover boy Clint Mathis may start the World Cup on the U.S. team bench. He's already been criticized by his coach.

The dynamic attacker is still recovering from knee surgery last summer, U.S coach Bruce Arena said Sunday, repeating that Mathis needs better work habits. Because Arena is reluctant to start players who can't go 90 minutes, the remarks left open the possibility that Mathis won't be on the field when the Americans open Wednesday against Portugal.

``In the next couple of years, if Clint really wants to move forward, he has got to bend a little bit towards conforming to the way professionals on big clubs have to act,'' Arena said. ``He'll get there. I think he's still fighting a little bit of the injury. ...

``It's been a tough month for him, because he was physically behind the other players. Having said that, I think he's got a real good future if he can just develop some better habits as a professional, and that will happen, and that's part of being in an environment where that is required of a player.''

Arena has said for more than a month it would be difficult to start a player not fully fit.

``You can't base your substitutes based on fitness. Not only Clint,'' he said. ``You can see why some teams are not playing players -- because they're less than 100 percent.''

Mathis, a 25-year-old midfielder and forward who plays for the New York/New Jersey MetroStars, was hurt in practice last June 5 and didn't return to the national team until Jan. 27 as a reserve in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. He's made 11 appearances this year, including seven starts, but has played just three complete games.

``In Clint's situation, I think any way you look at it, the knee injury he suffered is going to take time,'' Arena said. ``For everybody, the road to recovery is different. His has been a little slower.''

Mathis has been the most creative American player in the last two years, scoring the go-ahead goal in the semifinal qualifying win at Barbados that advanced the U.S. team; making the pass that led to the go-ahead goal in the win over Mexico that opened the final qualifying round; and scoring the lone goal at Honduras. According to Arena, Mathis hasn't been in pressure situations comparable to the World Cup.

``He hasn't been in big club games, international games, and he missed pressure-cooker games in qualifying,'' Arena said.

Mathis, in addition to his talent, also has an ebullient personality, one that makes him stand out.

``Clint's a good guy,'' Arena said. ``I wouldn't say flaky, he's different.''

When the Americans arrived at the World Cup, Mathis didn't shave for several days. He trimmed his beard to a Fu Manchu, then to a mustache.

``I imagine if I see him today his head will be shaved,'' Arena said.

Mathis, signed with Major League Soccer through next year, has spoken with Bayern Munich in Germany and Perugia in Italy, but no definite plans have been made.

``If he gets an opportunity at a big club, he's either going to make it or fail, right?'' Arena said. ``He's going to have those chances. It's no different from anybody else. It took Claudio (Reyna) a number of years to make it in Europe. (Brad) Friedel's fought it for years. (Kasey) Keller is fighting that now at Tottenham.

``It's all part of the environment. They don't really care who you are or where you're from. You do it our way and produce, and if not somebody else plays. It's a numbers game, and the bigger the club the more it's a numbers game.''

Mathis was not available for comment Sunday. Former U.S. coach Steve Sampson thought Arena's comments were designed to motivate the player.

``I think Bruce is trying to help Clint become a professional,'' Sampson said. ``He has the opportunity to become an exceptional player, but has to work a lot harder to recover from injuries and be physically fit. It's irresponsible to be otherwise.''

Lets Go USA........Leave your heart and souls in the field and you shall reap happiness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :excited:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i haven't seen conceicao play a great game for a logn time...i might have a chance to see him having a great game in this match.. :D:D:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
well, i went with the draw, as much as i'd like to see the US beat Portugal...i don't think it's going to happen. but hey, it should be a wonderful match. the US just doesn't have the firepower that Portugal has. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Figo Rules said:
I am PZ.....

Whatever Arena's "style"; the Portuguese have brought much better teams to their knees, forcing them to defend heavily and hope to hit on the counter.

I'm not sure if American fans know what they're in for; if they know how good Portugal is on the ball.

I would respect the US much more if they did try to attack and try to make it an open, attractive game, but that would leave their defenders vulnerable; and things could get very ugly.
Just as I think you are underestimating the US. After all, I was there when Kasey Keller single handedly (al be it with a bit of help from Preki) beat a pretty strong Brazilian team a few years ago here in LA. Ramario even said that was the greatest goalie performance he'd ever seen. I think you guys will be very surprised if you are baseing your entire opinion of the US on their performance 4 years ago. This is a very different team with a very different coach.

speaking of which, Arena deny's quotes about Mathis

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
My tip
Portugal 4
USA 0

It was 2-0 up until a few days ago , but I changed my mind as the day gets closer
I think Figo Rules is right in saying that the USA will not know what hit them

·
Registered
470 Posts
:D May the most artistic team (guess who...;) ) win. :D

1 - 20 of 188 Posts