Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Portugal and Spain have always been looked upon as choke artists- with reason. But, I think Euro 2000 will spell the end to that preconception. On wednesday when I went to watch our beloved seleccao, the sports bar was showing the Italy/Spain game. The Spanish looked amazing. They completely out-played and out-classed Italy. Their style is an exact carbon copy of Portugal.

What do you guys think, I am confident it will be Spain Portugal final? Marcoa need not respond, we already know what you think, elimination in teh group stages right??? hahaha kidding Marco

·
Registered
595 Posts
Our selecção is playing very nice, but they have to be more effective. I've even read they consider Portugal Europe's Brazil. But that technical beauty doesn't work all by itself against a practical and cool blooded Germany team. :-S

But what the heck!
If Sporting can win the championship after 18 years, Portugal can be European champion this year, and World Champion afterwards!
These players still haven't showed all they can they do! They have a lot of potencial, and someday they will EXPLODE! ;-)

·
International
5,629 Posts
Portugal will win Euro 2000 or at least make the semis because they actually have better forwards this time around...I still think that with Nuno,Pauleta JVP and Sa Pinto up front we have our best forward line in years. Not as good as Gomes, Fernandes, Nene, but still it could be effective. The key to our success will be these guys putting the ball in the net off those brilliant passes from Rui, Figo and Conceicao!

Spain is excellent, but so is France and Holland!

Viva Portugal!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RedEagle, I am loving your confidence, and agree with u 100%. I am getting my PORTUGAL flag ready!!!!!hahaahah

I am in t.o, that's what we do here

·
International
5,629 Posts
There's a reason to my confidence in Portugal for Euro2000. The "Golden Generation" has two opportunities to prove it self as the best that Portugal ever saw, and that's Euro 2000 and the WC 2002. Personally I think those guys are at their peak now...Figo is unstoppable; as is Conceicao; Costa is finally playing excellent ball; Couto has been a godsend for Lazio; Vidigal and Beto have been terrific for Sporting; Baia before being hurt was unbelievable; Jorge Costa is a heck of a defender; Nuno has played well all year and finally JVP is reaching his form again....How can I not be confident! Plus they are all proud players who know that they have to deliver. Thy will be done!

I have faith in those boys...they weren't Youth World Champs for nothing!

Viva Portugal!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
In Euro 96 we played the best football of everyone, just had problems scoring. This team is back with a vengeance, and this time things will be different!

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some one said during euro 96, you can't win it with kids. Seeing portugal had and still has a very youthful side, they showed that person wrong, and you can actually achieve a lot and go far with a very young versatile side. There is no doubt that Portugal has talent, but they are in a very tough group, and then it could be Italy or Belgium in the quaters, and who knows after that should they go that far. Portugal has a lot of talent, but I get the impression that every team stands a realistic chance of winning Euro 2000, even Slovenia has got some great talents.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The saying you win nothing with kids is devoted to the man Alan Hansen (ex pool centre back, class player and football critic). He watched a Man U game at the beginning of the season and at the time Man U beat Wimbledon 3-1. the problem for Hansen was the youngsters that Man U were playing (Beckham, Scholes, the Nevilles) and he said that Man U would win nowt cos 'you don't win nothing with kids'. Man U went on to do the double.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Actually Pool it was after Man U had been beaten 3-0 by Aston Villa in the first game of the 95/96 season, the first game after selling Paul Ince. This very poor performance led to the Hansen comment.
Interestingly the main reason Man U eventually overhauled Newcastle in the league was the brilliant performances of experienced veterns Scheichel and Cantona down the stretch, so in a way Hansen was right after all.
That season they did go on and win the double beating as you'll know Liverpool in the FA Cup final (the white suit final).
You are getting confused with the 96/97 season when they beat Wimbledon 3-1 but Chelsea won the cup.

[This message has been edited by Santamaria (edited 19-04-2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts