Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm anxiously waiting for our next match despite todays disappointing result.

Let me pose a question to y'all: if you were Oliveira would you still start Couto/Costa? Do you think if they start they'll make up for their mistakes or are we better off going with youth?

How about the Petit question. He was absolutely horrible against the U.S. Does he start or should we go with 'shaky knees' or Paulo Bento? Even Jorge Andrade?

Here's what I think:

---Beto-------------FernandoCouto--J.Andrade-----------RuiJorge-----

----------------------Frechaut--------------PauloBento---------------------

----SergioConceicao------------------------------------------Figo-----------

--------------------------RuiCosta---------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------Pauleta------------------------------------

I was even thinking about starting Nuno Gomes but I'll stick with Pauleta but this time bring on Nuno earlier than the 80th minute!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
BAIA HAS PLAYED HIS LAST INTERNATIONAL !!!!!!!!!!!!

.........................................Ricardo

Frechaut..................Couto...........Andrade....................Rui Jorge

...............................Petit............... Rui Costa

Conceicao...................................................................Figo

.........................................JV Pinto
.........................................Pauleta

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I will try to be as fair as possible. Portugal, IMO, just took the U.S. too lightly, and by the time it truly hit them, it was almost too much to ask of your team to come back. This, obviously enough, can't happen again--especially not against a Korean team with 80,000 screaming fans backing them up. However, the U.S. defended admirably, and I will not take anything away from our boys. That said, for your sake, I don't think Couto, Jorge Costa and Baia should be playing next match. Yes, they are experienced, and yes, Couto is your captain, but he, Jorge Costa and Baia all didn't look prepared to play at all. I would be interested to see Beto and Andrade at CB's, with Frechaut at RB. Furthermore, I don't think Joao Pinto's position worked today. I don't want to take anything away from him, because he played incredibly hard, but it was an unnecessary position when you will have enough attacking play from Figo, Sergio C. and Rui Costa. I also think reverting back to the 4-2-3-1 will be much more effective. I don't know who you would prefer as the second withdrawn midfielder--maybe Hugo Viana--, but such a position is necessary IMO, and it doesn't necessarily mean that Portugal will attack less. If anything, it will mean Portugal will attack in a more balanced fashion, and that is a necessity. Do you guys agree?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Here is my lineup for the next game

...............................................Ricardo

beto......................f couto......j andrade.....................rui jorge

...............................hugo viana rui costa

sergio conceicao......................................................figo

joao pinto

..................................................pauleta

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
hey fee-go...it'd be nice to have 11 guys on;)

but i see your point...

i personally think it should be as follows

--------------Ricardo
Beto---------Couto------Andrade-------Rui Jorge
------------Petit-----------paulo bento
Figo-------------Rui Costa--------------Conceicao
----------------pauleta-----------

i think we have to go back to controlling the midfield more with 2 trincos....we can creative offense with figo, rui and conceicao so we don't need JVP initially....

in the second if we are up comfortably then play 3 back and bring in nuno...take out bento and push rui back and bring in Joao Pinto...but we have to win at all costs...this means start playing like we did against Brasil....and against Holland.....

if we do this we can win both games and come in second...and have a chance against italy...but if we continue the way we played today....italy will destroy us....

Come on Portugal show the world who the real team is....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
in all honesty f. couto had a bad game, he wont have another one of those. i was just whatching the game (i taped it :depress: ) and i seen a call right at the end of the game that went against couto and if you seen his eyes:fero: exactly like that face, and you can read his lips he said "filho de puta"

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
what dissapoints me most about todays game is that the world knows what we can do, and if we accomplish nothing in this cup were never gonna hear the end of this. When really if any team was playing the U.S today would have lost. This was nothing like the france senegal game where france controlled the game and senegal got a lucky goal. The u.s didn't play great, they just outsmarted us today. But you know and everyone else knows that if this was 5 games this would be the only win the u.s will have, portugal would win 3 and there would be a tie.

M

·
0 Posts
Poland will win this. We'll think we can beat them easy and they'll stuff us!

What im most worried about is rthe South Korea game. Couto + J.Costa VS the speed of that attack. No contest!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mathiaslg said:
Well, I will try to be as fair as possible. Portugal, IMO, just took the U.S. too lightly, and by the time it truly hit them, it was almost too much to ask of your team to come back. This, obviously enough, can't happen again--especially not against a Korean team with 80,000 screaming fans backing them up. However, the U.S. defended admirably, and I will not take anything away from our boys. That said, for your sake, I don't think Couto, Jorge Costa and Baia should be playing next match. Yes, they are experienced, and yes, Couto is your captain, but he, Jorge Costa and Baia all didn't look prepared to play at all. I would be interested to see Beto and Andrade at CB's, with Frechaut at RB. Furthermore, I don't think Joao Pinto's position worked today. I don't want to take anything away from him, because he played incredibly hard, but it was an unnecessary position when you will have enough attacking play from Figo, Sergio C. and Rui Costa. I also think reverting back to the 4-2-3-1 will be much more effective. I don't know who you would prefer as the second withdrawn midfielder--maybe Hugo Viana--, but such a position is necessary IMO, and it doesn't necessarily mean that Portugal will attack less. If anything, it will mean Portugal will attack in a more balanced fashion, and that is a necessity. Do you guys agree?
Great point Mathiaslg. I took Joao Pinto out of my line-up all together in my post above. If Portugal needs an extra attacker then he and/or Nuno Gomes can come on.

I think Portugal should have treated the U.S. with the same caution and respect they gave England at Euro. Let's hope things turn around.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If anything, it will mean Portugal will attack in a more balanced fashion, and that is a necessity. Do you guys agree?
i agree with you 200% :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
.........................................Ricardo.....................................

Frechaut..................Beto...........Andrade....................Rui Jorge

...............................Petit............... Bento.......................

................... Figo....................................Rui Costa................

...........................Pauleta......Nuno Gomes..................

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I vhanged my lineup, after again seing the portugal game, i realized portugal got killed in the air attack. j. costa is tall but he as no springs. Fortunantly that is something we dont have to worry about with korea, poland maybe. Im saying this should be the lineup, no crtisicm please

..........................................??????
J.ANDRADE...........BETO.............COUTO...........R.JORGE

...............................P.BENTO..............PETIT

CONCEICAO...............................................FIGO

..........................................RUI COSTA
............................................PAULETA

Beto is a tall defensemen, and unlike jorge costa, hell win battles up in the air. Andrade, is tall, fast and has good footwork. If I was AO, i would personally talk to baia in privite, and ask him if he thinks he is 100% if he is at even 99.9 play ricardo. I know baia is hated right now, but look at the tape of the game, he saved the defenses ass plenty of times, and i still think not one of those goals was his fault. WE'll se . Good night everybody

M

·
0 Posts
Baia is past it!!! he famous he works hard and i believe we all owe him for his years ofservice but he aint a great keeper. Ricardo would have done everything Baia did better!

Also we need some pace at the back so Andrade should be in from start!

·
Registered
333 Posts
This talk of P Sousa being in the 11 for Poland; If he has a bad game, how eager will people be to throw him on the same trash heap that they want Baia on?

I would throw P Bento in there with Petit to throw up a wall before these Poles and Koreans even think of attacking our net. I would take out J Costa, Baia for Andrade and Ricardo.

We should have JVP and Nuno Gomes coming off the bench.

It still breaks my heart to see Nuno warming up on the sideline, and then coming in only for the last 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Figo Rules said:
This talk of P Sousa being in the 11 for Poland; If he has a bad game, how eager will people be to throw him on the same trash heap that they want Baia on?

I would throw P Bento in there with Petit to throw up a wall before these Poles and Koreans even think of attacking our net. I would take out J Costa, Baia for Andrade and Ricardo.

We should have JVP and Nuno Gomes coming off the bench.

It still breaks my heart to see Nuno warming up on the sideline, and then coming in only for the last 10 minutes.
Nuno will In MY Eyes will play atleast 45' V Poalnd !!!!!!

Oliveira's career will ride on this decision !!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts