Bento !!! Yes ....he is the key
Rui Costa !!! ;) Shhhhhh!!!
I think Andrade will have to come in for Jorge Costa for sure

I will see you's all tomorrow !!!!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
yes jorge costa needs out

however, as much as i was dissapointed with baia in the USA game, i will admit he had a much better showing today.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Alright, SUPERSTITION TIME! We need to lay down some rules!
1. No mass avatar changing(I heard that threw us off against USA)
2. No assumption(Again USA)
3. Do EXACT same thing you did today at the time 4 hours before the game up until the last minutes

And of course more rules as we come up with them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
Alright, SUPERSTITION TIME! We need to lay down some rules!
1. No mass avatar changing(I heard that threw us off against USA)
2. No assumption(Again USA)
3. Do EXACT same thing you did today at the time 4 hours before the game up until the last minutes

And of course more rules as we come up with them.
Wear the same clothes that you did for the poland game as well!;)

M

·
0 Posts
God i got a tonn of these....

i was eationg chocolate biscuits before the match and at half time

My dad had a *** 4 times during the game and each time we scored!!:D

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Guys after we have calm down , Now is the time we think of South Korea !!!!!

We must be strong cause if Portugal do win , it wikll be creating history which Sth Korea do not want the honour of having & that is being the 1st host country no to make the last 16 at the WC !!!!!!!1

Early reports are saying Korea will be playing an attacking game & they will be after early goals !!!!

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
nuno capucho must start ahead of the ineffective conceicao. He was a lot stronger at the ball and beat players a lot easier than conceicao who looks off the boil.......Importantly petit started playing not bad, he was disgraceful in the first game......Rui costa must start, figo is out of sorts and cannot be expected to run the show, rui is the man to lead portugal .........

If what I saw wasnt an illusion (referring to the huge weight I saw literally lift offa the shoulders of 11 players in the 75th minute) then sth korea will receive a nice on.....shhhhhh ;)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Giorgos said:
nuno capucho must start ahead of the ineffective conceicao. He was a lot stronger at the ball and beat players a lot easier than conceicao who looks off the boil.......Importantly petit started playing not bad, he was disgraceful in the first game......Rui costa must start, figo is out of sorts and cannot be expected to run the show, rui is the man to lead portugal .........

If what I saw wasnt an illusion (referring to the huge weight I saw literally lift offa the shoulders of 11 players in the 75th minute) then sth korea will receive a nice on.....shhhhhh ;)
Thats a good call Giorgos about Conceicao, though I feel he has been unlucky. He has been fouled heaps of times in the 2 games so far. Capucho on the other hand came on at a time when the Polish Midfield were pushing for goals , so tight marking wasnt on there mind
If we start with Rui & Figo then maybe the Idea of starting Capucho maybe an option

Another thing , that surprised me was the non show for Nuno Gomes , given stuff al time in the 1st game I thought when we were 2 up , maybee a run for him ....but Nupp!!!

Its hard to see where Nuno fits into Oliveira's plans from here !!

M

·
0 Posts
Its a tough call Capucho is i think a great player to do some magic after coming on. When he came on we looked different and created lots more. Mabye worth a start! He certainly played really well after coming on so i'd say he is should satrt.

Damnit im so nervous.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
The fittness factor

How do handle this?

S.K. will play an attacking game, and they've shown they can sustain play at a high energy level for 90 minutes. We saw how Portugal handled the U.S., which shares these qualities with S.K.

Though he improved against Poland, I don't see any place for J.Costa in this game. They will buzz around him like he's standing still. Same might go for Couto if he's having an off day.

I think Portugal's best plan would be to recharge as much as possible between now and Friday, practice controlling that damn ball, and sharpen their counters.

Oliveria has some difficult choices to make. Pauleta completely redeemed himself, but I would still like to see Gomes come out. He must be starving for a touch of that ball. Petit will be super important, and if lady luck is at all smiling on us, Xavier will be ready to return.

·
International
5,629 Posts
It's simple. In order to beat Korea, we must play like we did against Holland in the qualifiers. Put them on their heels. How you do that? You play the counter attacking game, when they come at you, but most importantly we keep possession of the ball at all times.

As you all know, possession is 9/10ths of the law!

We must keep the ball moving faster than them, and they are fast. Problem is, they're very good at pressure. It'll take all our skillfulness and resourcefullness to keep the ball.

Thus the players that start, must all be great skill players.

Capucho has to start. He's not as fast as Conceicao, but he holds the ball better, and is in better form.

Rui has to start. Joao Pinto had a nice game, but he can't bring the ball like Rui can from the midfield line. Plus Rui is pissed that he was benched. As I said, this team will only go as far as Rui Costa takes them. He's the man that is needed to set the tempo against the Koreans. He knows we can't enter in a speed duel with these guys. He must keep the ball moving, and slow the tempo. This is his type of game. He will need to step up.

That number 6 Yoo from Korea is a phenominal DM. He will have to shield the ball from him.

On the D side, Jorge Costa improved tremendously from his last game, but he still is too damn slow to cover these speed demons. We need Andrade in there. We also need Rui Jorge to step up. He has been getting beat on a regular basis on the left side.

Baia, proved to me against Poland that he can actually come out of his line. However he wasn't too confident. Didn't really have to do much. Against Korea he'll have to be Brad Friedel.

WHy is Ricardo sitting???

Petit and Bento need a repeat performance from the Poland game.

FORCA PORTUGAL! :)

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
O.K. Fellow Pork Chops, here my lowdown:

Ricardo instead of Baia
Andrade for J. Costa because of speed
Someone tell Couto a little roughness in the begining may help to soften Korea's attack....They're fast but they're not strong
Keep the same midfield......Conceicao has been a little dissapointing but we must give him a chance as we did Pauleta..
Capucho does better off the bench than he does when he starts

Bottom Line: If we play like we did against the Poles, Korea will not be able to stop us.

Portugal Baby and Korea we're serving notice!!!!
:fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero: :fero:

Nuff said....

·
International
5,629 Posts
Rui needs to be out there from the start Flo. THis is not Poland.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
RedEagle said:
Rui needs to be out there from the start Flo. THis is not Poland.
What I meant about midfield was Figo, Rui Costa, & Conceicao..Sorry for the mix-up..

Thanks for watching my six Red ;)

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
COUTO 5 said:

Bento !!! Yes ....he is the key
I agree, I am the key to any situation. I wish the people around me would notice:D

In all seriousness, do you guys think Rui starts on the bench again?

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
I believe that the counter attack will be the key to our advancement. I watched the highlights of the Korea/U.S game and noticed the speed that everyone has mentioned, but I also saw a team that is flawed in terms of ball control and decision making. They should have won that game handily, but could not convert on numerous chances. I view Pauletta and/or Nuno Gomes more capable than Clint Mathis (Whom I have posted my positive opnion of in other threads) at scoring in a tight game. When Korea comes forward and commits a bad decision, we must make them pay for it with strong counters.

This will be a test of Portugal's composure and team unity. It will be a hot atmosphere from the climate in Korea and the fans in the stands. The Koreans will be coming at us with everythng they have, but this Portuguese team has shown the ability to perform in tough situations. I can see Korea getting a few calls, maybe even a goal, because of the home field. That is when the team must come together, focus, and rely on the skill and training that has been instilled in them their entire lives.

If they do this, they will show the world that they have matured since their collapse at Euro '96, and reward themselves with a spot in the second round.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts