Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on the whole I thought we didnt play too badly and deserved a draw. I think that every portuguese player played well apart from Dimas who was a disaster and I fear for euro 2000 when he will come up against the likes of Beckham. I suggest he plays Rui Jorge and quickly. Everyone else I was impressed by the usual players, Figo, Rui Costa, Sousa, Conceicao (until the last 20 minutes), I was also impressed by Xavier, Costa, Couto but I really liked the performance of Quim as he seemed really confident although for euro 2000 it may be too late for him because of inexperience I think he will become the next Baia. So if in euro 2k Baia is injured I think Espinha should play but ony because of Quim’s inexperience as shown in the secod goal by coming out to quickly.
As for the game I thought the referee had a great first half but in the second half was crap. The free kick Italy got that led to the goal was probably a free kick but the way Italy won the ball leading up to the free kick was one of the clearest handballs ever and how the ref didnt see it only God knows. Then for the penalty straight after the Italy goal. I MEAN HOW BLATANT A PENALTY DO YOU WANT!!!!
If that isnt a penalty nothing is. Also every time Figo got the ball he was kicked all over the place and how he didnt get a serious injury is beyond me I mean the Italians could have got a gun and shot him and the ref wouldnt have done anything. And finally over the years I have become used to the Italians cheating and diving if the slightest wind touches them and that it was what they did again today the sad thing was the referee went along with it but the Italians were kicking the **** out of figo but nothing was done about it.
Anyway Im not taking anything out of Italy’s victory because they took their chances whilst we didnt and their second goal was good even if our defence was asleep. But I am still confident we can win euro 2000 although we will have to find someone who can score regularly and as Pauleta isnt playing for Coruna maybe it will be better if Gomes played.

VIVA O NORTE
VIVA O CENTRO
VIVA O SUL
VIVA PORTUGAL

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
On what do you base your confidence in Portugal winning Euro 2000? The national team never does anything. They have a very talented mid-field, but the strikers are incredibly ordinary. Just look at the big Three. Their goals are all socred by foreign strikers (Acosta, Jardel, Sabry etc..). I hope Portugal does very well at Eruo 2000, but I hardly feel confident in their being victorious. They need to show me something before I believe in them being a chmapionship team. Hell, they never even qualify for the World Cup despite having so much potential talent. Are they simply mismanaged? The only time I remember Portugal doing anything was 1966 and they placed third in the WC for only one reason- Eusebio!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daeone I think in one of your previous posts you said youi were spanish so It's not much of a suprise to me you are slagging off portugal's chances.
To your comment that all portugal have done is 1966 well what about 1984 when portugal only went out to a 119th minute goal by Platini.
As for the top goalscorers I know you are spanish but you will find that Nuno Gomes is PORTUGUESE and is one of the top goalscorers and has scored many more than Sabry.
Pauleta has also been top goal scorer in spain for salamnca and in his first season at coruna he scored many goals.
As for the fact that it was the same old story we didnt have the majority of the possesion it was about the same and after about 15mins on another day conceicao would have scored.
We do have the capability to do well as Gomes and Pauleta have proved that they can score and with the service they can get in midfield I am very confident, especially as by the time we play england the players will have been together for 3 weeks and not the usual 2 or 3 days.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and as for not qualifying for the world cup I dont think I will need to remind you about the referee in the Germany game.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Can we have a post that doesn't blame the ref? Please?

By the way, I'm American not Spanish. I do have Spanish blood however. None of this has anything to do with the fact that the Portuguese team hasn't done much of anything on an international level. Sure, a few portuguese are good strikers (I forgot Gomes-my fault), but they don't do much for the team. Strikers have been the weak point for a while (all the back to EC 96). I'm a fan of portuguese football in general, this includes the national team, so don't insult me again by trying to imply that I have some nationalistic leanings against Portugal. That may be how you work, but it's not how I work.
As a fan, I've been very disappointed to see Portugal miss out on the WC. It would be a shame if this generation of great players (Figo, Sousa etc..) never sees the big stage.
Oh, another thing, qouting some near miss that happened sixteen years ago doesn't mean Portugal has done anything in the WC. Hell, Mexico (my father's team) have nearly beaten Germany on two occasion to reach the semi-finals, but that hardly qualifies them as an international contender. I simply see Portugal in the same way - talented, potentially winners, but as to this point having done little. That doesn't mean that I don't hope they win EC 2000 because I do. Deal with it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daeone are you saying that the referee was right in sending off rui costa?
Rui costa's sending off turned the game around portugal were 1-0 up in control but after the sending off portugal lost it.
Im not sure If you saw todays game but if you had seen todays game you would have seen some encouraging signs like our dangerous counter attcking play and figo and rui costas bursts. Todays fault in my opinion wasnt the striker because they didnt get the oppurtunities but the midfields who didnt create enough chances for pauleta but they did for themselves.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
maybe Coelho should stop being stupid and call up Domingos who's play has been OUT OF THIS WORLD in the past few months

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I also think domingos should be called up as should fernando nelson.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
It was a dissapointing loss, but we should not take it too hard.
Conceicao really should have scored in the first half and Figo was always a threat, the italians had enormous respect for him.
I though Rui had a rather poor game although he picked himself up in the second half.
Dimas had some real problems and this position is a bit of a problem for us. Quim I though made some dubious judgements, like on the second goal where he had no business coming out like that. He did basically alright though. Couto and Costa looked real solid in the middle Xavier did good also.
This will mean nothing for euro2k, I doubt we will see this kind of open match when it gets down to serious business. Also we played away and still I think it was a give/take match. We were not outplayed. Both goals came from freak situations. First the freekick variant where we were sleeping in defense and the second was just silly. Couto on center-field as the LAST guy..arrgh.
What worries me though is the same old story. Where are the guys to score on a regular basis? Nuno Gomes has the potential but not yet. I had lot of hope in Pauleta but now I'm not so sure. If our attackers start to score we will win Euro2k, just an occasional goal is all I ask! Otherwise I see euro96 repeating itself all over again...

FORCA PORTUGAL!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If Domingos is doing well theres no reason for not using that to our advantage.

·
Registered
313 Posts
oh man...we should have one this game!!! I reackonthat the first goal was ( um frango) and the second he should havestayed in the goals.

VIVA O BENFICA
VIVA O GLORIOSO

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I hope Portugal can figure out a strong attacking front because the field looks wide open to me. Holland and Germany don't appear strong at all. Italy is good, but can be beaten by their own defensive tactics. The door is open for Portugal or some other surprise team to come through. However, Portugal won't win anything until they can score goals on a consistent basis.

Question: Who do you all see as the front runners for EC 2000?

·
Registered
964 Posts
The ref , while Italy were playing in blue (just kidding).
Costa made some great moves and the Italians could not touch him im sure they went to thank Coelho after the match.
Tell me something these friendly matches are to view other players , but yet its the same players coming in i would like to see George ,Costinha etc..catch a game and put those players playing around Figo, R.Costa ,Couto.Why the hell did he take Costa out the match,we have to build those players around him how we going to do that if he is on the bench.I think over-all we played better than Italy , there first goal was s**t and the second was just a little bit of inexperience by Quim(which club do you guys think is going to buy him next season i hope Sporting does he could gain alot of experience from Schmeical).

·
International
5,629 Posts
First, my analysis is really simple. Portugal played like crap and the deserved to lose. I blame this partly on the players but mostly on the strategy employed against Italy which was completely different than against the Danes! Portugal did not press in the midfield until they found themselves down. They played with two "trincos" which is basically a way of conceding defeat. They respected the Italian team way too much.
If Coelho takes this strategy to Euro, and especially with the players he employed last nite we will not win one game.

Portugal's game is possesion and pressure, not laying back and countering.

Now for players performances starting from the offensive end:

Pauleta: Crap...didn't do anything, didn't fight for balls, and the few that reached him he did nothing with.

Conceicao: slightly better than crap...has clean goal and misses it TWICE. Had some decent runs and crosses which Pauleta couldn't find.

Figo: woke up in the second half, and was the best player. Was massacred. His run should have been a penalty..but then again we should expect to win games not on referee decisions

Rui Costa: Was solid, some nice passes and footwork, hist shot was missing. Didn't understand why he was taken out for Pinto!

Sousa: So so game, could have been more assertive. so far Vidigal has been the better trinco.

Bento: Very nice game. Benfica should get this guy.

Couto: Solid on defense until the second goal.

Costa: Same as Couto
Dimas: Abused by Inzaghi in the first half.
Xavier: Solid

QUIM: Lousy. Both goals he could have defended better particular the first one. In the second one what's he doing so far out?!

Coaching: Horrible enough said.

However, with all this negativity that I feel that this loss was the best thing that could have happened to our team. It should humble them and bring them together. The coach should realize that this two trinco strategy is way to damn conservative and does not allow for victory!

After watching all the friendlies here's who I think should start if we're going to win Euro, which I know we will:

Goalie: BAIA if healthy, if not we're in trouble, so maybe then QUIM

XAVIER
COUTO
BETO/Costa not sure on this one yet.
RUI JORGE/Dimas same as above. Experience over youth?!
VIDIGAL
RUI COSTA
CONCEICAO
FIGO
NUNO GOMES
SA PINTO

VIVA PORTUGAL!

[This message has been edited by RedEagle (edited 27-04-2000).]

S

·
0 Posts
I am equally as disappointed as the rest of you. There are some points in which I agree with, while others, I feel differently about. First off, what kind of line up did Coelho start.

Sousa is freakin useless! he was a great player in the past. But yesterday he couldn't even run. I think his injuries have taken a serious toll.

Sergio Conceicao-disappointing, should have scored that gift from PAULETA-YES PAULETA. SO I can't see how Red Eagle thinks he is crap. How do expect him to score when he wasn't served.

Now what the hell was Joao Pinto doing sitting down? Is coelho on crack? Does he forget-along with you all on this forum-that Joao Pinto is the second best finisher, second only to the black panther. Joao Pinto is a phenomenal playmaker, and we surely missed him on the pitch in the first half. I would have subed Conceicao for Pinto, I think Pinto is dangerous in the midfield.

So my starting eleven:

GK--Baia or Quim
D--Couto
D--Beto-much better than Costa, plus I see costa getting too many freakin cards!!! he is too rough!!!!
D--Xavier
D--Dimas-Yes had a bad game,but no one is perfect

M-Figo
M-Rui Costa
M-Paulo Bento
M/F-Joao Pinto

F-Pauleta
F-Nuno Gomes

On the pitch it would look like this

BAIA
Xavier Beto Couto Dimas

Figo Costa Paulo Bento

Joao Pinto
Pauleta Nuno Gomes

S

·
0 Posts
I am equally as disappointed as the rest of you. There are some points in which I agree with, while others, I feel differently about. First off, what kind of line up did Coelho start.

Sousa is freakin useless! he was a great player in the past. But yesterday he couldn't even run. I think his injuries have taken a serious toll.

Sergio Conceicao-disappointing, should have scored that gift from PAULETA-YES PAULETA. SO I can't see how Red Eagle thinks he is crap. How do expect him to score when he wasn't served.

Now what the hell was Joao Pinto doing sitting down? Is coelho on crack? Does he forget-along with you all on this forum-that Joao Pinto is the second best finisher, second only to the black panther. Joao Pinto is a phenomenal playmaker, and we surely missed him on the pitch in the first half. I would have subed Conceicao for Pinto, I think Pinto is dangerous in the midfield.

So my starting eleven:

GK--Baia or Quim
D--Couto
D--Beto-much better than Costa, plus I see costa getting too many freakin cards!!! he is too rough!!!!
D--Xavier
D--Dimas-Yes had a bad game,but no one is perfect

M-Figo
M-Rui Costa
M-Paulo Bento
M/F-Joao Pinto

F-Pauleta
F-Nuno Gomes

On the pitch it would look like this

BAIA
Xavier Beto Couto Dimas

Figo Costa Paulo Bento

Joao Pinto
Pauleta Nuno Gomes

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I totally disagree that sousa was crap I thought he was one of our best players much better than bento.
QUIM: looked confident on crosses etc. I thought he played reasonably well apart from the second goal
XAVIER:solid
DIMAS: useless evertime the italians did what they wanted on the right
COSTA: very solid and nearly always won the ball. Prosocuted by some very dodgy refereeing decsions
COUTO: quite solid not as good as costa, maybe a bit too slow, struggled slightly in the air which is usually the best part of his game.
BENTO: Reasonable
SOUSA: played pretty well won many balls in the midfield defence area, dropped slightly when rui costa came off but on the whole was good.
RUI COSTA: made some excelllent passes and had pretty good game
FIGO: played well as usualy but nowhere near as good as he plays for barcelona but also didnt get much of a chance as the italians seemed intent on kicking the **** out of him and the referee did nothing about it
CONCEICAO: Made some good runs and played quite well until rui costa was taken off but missed a sitter
PAULETA: didnt play to well but mainly because the midfield didnt create anything for him made one or two good openings for himself.

As for joao pinto not playing I think he should have played instead of one of the trincos if not him sa but they both also had bad games.

So my team to start against england.
BAIA (if fit, if not) ESPINHA
XAVIER
RUI JORGE
COSTA
COUTO
SOUSA
CONCEICAO
FIGO
RUI COSTA
J.V.PINTO
GOMES

I would play pauleta instead of gomes if he played regularly at coruna and i would probably play joao instead of sa because of the passion pinto usually shows for his country although i must say this is a tight one to call as sa always shows plenty of commitment.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I think there were both positives and negatives in this games; and that is why they play these games - to accenuate the positive and fix the negatives before the real thing.

1) Set Plays - Portugal looked absolutely HORRIBLE on Set Plays, both offensively and defensively. Poor marking on that free kick cost them the 1st goal. If this continues, England will murder them! As a side note, I have come to conclusion that Joao Pinto is the best header of the ball out of all Portugal's attackers

2) Tactics - Portugal basically played a 4-3-3, with 2 trincos, Rui Costa in front of them, Figo and Conceicao as wingers and Pauleta all alone in the center. I found this formation too static. Figo and Conceicao need to have more interchanging in order to free up space as seen in the Denmark game. Also, I agree Portugal must press more. Pauleta would probably be more effective with another strike next to him.

3) Paulo Sousa - Okay, the guy definitely can't run anymore. But, he made some nice passes to launch the attack. Unfortunately, if he is too be on the field, they must play with another trinco to do his running for him. Without him, though, the midfield loses a great passer. If Delfim was healthy, I think he and Sousa would be incredible playing together.

My Lineup:
Baia
A. Xavier
Beto
Couto
Dimas
Sousa
Paulo Bento
Rui Costa
S. Conceicao
Sa Pinto

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The most important lesson to come from this game is this: If Portugal play an attacking game with good pressure in midfield we can beat anyone. If we play as against Italy things will go bad. Come on, playing with two trincos is just silly. And Pauleta was too lonely on top. Therefore, remove one trinco and let JVP partner Pauleta up front.
And also, don't we have anyone better than Dimas on the right? The wings have been a weakness, although I think Xavier has shown he's up to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts