Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The game is next Wednesday night (18/02/04)

Will Sven opt for more tryouts?
I hope he doesn't we need to consolidate our team and start playing the main men so they gel into a team.

I think we'll see something like

Code:
            Owen    Rooney
               Scholes
     Lampard   Gerrard  Beckham
A.Cole   Campbell   Terry   G.Neville
               James
Whether thats a flat middle three or a diamond depends on how adventurous Sven is.

Maybe he will try out Hargreaves at RB, or change Scholes for Heskey/Defoe and drop Rooney back to where Scholes was?

I dont think we can read too much into the result though, as we are notoriously rubbish in friendlies.

My Prediction 1-1 With Rooney grabbing an equalising goal.

M

·
0 Posts
Balis-of-Steel said:
The game is next Wednesday night (18/02/04)

Will Sven opt for more tryouts?
I hope he doesn't we need to consolidate our team and start playing the main men so they gel into a team.

I think we'll see something like

Code:
            Owen    Rooney
               Scholes
     Lampard   Gerrard  Beckham
A.Cole   Campbell   Terry   G.Neville
               James
Whether thats a flat middle three or a diamond depends on how adventurous Sven is.

Maybe he will try out Hargreaves at RB, or change Scholes for Heskey/Defoe and drop Rooney back to where Scholes was?

I dont think we can read too much into the result though, as we are notoriously rubbish in friendlies.

My Prediction 1-1 With Rooney grabbing an equalizing goal.

Nice team. I'd rather have someone like Mills or Hargreaves at right back. I just don't like Gary Neville at all. :D As for the team I would pick, it would be the same as yours except with Defoe upfront and Hargreaves at right back. My prediction Portugal 2 England 0. :(

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Balis's team will probably be the starting team, but you know there will be plenty of changes.

prediction: Portugal 0-1 England I like to be optimistic:)

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Mike said:
It's hard to be optimistic when England are involved in a friendly. ;)
I get enough practise supporting Derby.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
When will Eriksson announce the English squad?

Here is Portugal's,

Squad announced:

GK: Quim (Sp. Braga), Ricardo (Sporting)

D: Fernando Couto (Lázio), Jorge Andrade (Deportivo da Corunha), Miguel (Benfica), Nuno Valente (FC Porto), Paulo Ferreira (FC Porto), ,Ricardo Carvalho (FC Porto), Beto (Sporting), Rui Jorge (Sporting)

M: Deco (FC Porto), Petit (Benfica), Costinha (FC Porto), Hugo Viana (Newcastle), Rui Costa (AC Milan), Tiago (Benfica)

F/W: Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Boa Morte (Fulham), Figo (Real Madrid), Pauleta (Paris St. Germain)
Simão (Benfica), Hugo Almeida (Leiria)

Our defense is spotty, as usual, and if Scholes is having a good day we'll be in trouble. :groan:

Looking forward to a good game.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I predict 2-1 to the Spanish...sorry, Portugese ;) . Ronaldo and Figo to score and then Rooney to score in the closing mins of the game, he normally does well against these latin types ;)

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Damn Balis thats a similar team to what i just posted in the England starting lineups.Australia beat England in a friendly, England dont take them serious and watching the game isnt even appealing.It's likened more like a pre season freindly against Stevenage.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was updating the NT thread in the stickies at the top of the forum. We are playing a freindly agaisnt Iceland 8 days before the game against France. Is that wise?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Balis-of-Steel said:
I was updating the NT thread in the stickies at the top of the forum. We are playing a freindly agaisnt Iceland 8 days before the game against France. Is that wise?

It's only Iceland. Apart from Gudjohnsen they don't hvae much. They wont be to much of a strenuous workout.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Gerrards out because his girlfriends due, Parker may get a chance ? Or Joe Cole may go in the left with Lampard and Scholes in the middle.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Mike said:
It will probably be Beckham and Scholes in the centre I think.
No.

It will be... either Lamps Becks and Scholes with Vassell, Rooney and Owen upfront or..

Lamps and Scholes in middle, Joe Cole on left :yuck: and becks on right.

But there's no dm... thats why i'd pick Scotty Parker.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I'd imagine Parker will become pretty regular now he's joined Chelsea,he would have 20 caps by now if he'd played at a big club,looks like we won't have to suffer Butt and Neville playing for England any more, so it's all good.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
I'd imagine Parker will become pretty regular now he's joined Chelsea,he would have 20 caps by now if he'd played at a big club,looks like we won't have to suffer Butt and Neville playing for England any more, so it's all good.
Butt has had excellent games in an England shirt and long may it continue. He'll be going to Euro 2004.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Butt and Jenas are in instead of Parker :eek:

i am shocked at Eriksson's choice, how can he justify this. ;)

Russell,Butt is a steady eddie no more,and hasn't played for six months ,when he has he played terriblt against Northampton.

this squad is poxy,Danny 'fukin hoofer' Mills :dazed: :fero:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts