Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The international tournament in Santarem, Portugal is to be held in the period between 19.-25. january. The tournament, "Tournament Vale Do Tejo", is held for the second time, and in addition to Portugal also Norway, Greece, and Romania will play.

Matches:
22/1: Romania - Greece
22/1: Portugal - Norway
24/1: Loser game 1 - loser game 2
24/1: Winner game 1 - winner game 2

The matches are played in the Santarem district about 80 kilometers outside Lisbon.

The tournament is classified by Portugal as an A2 tournament, which means that the teams will use a lot of players that you don't always see playing for the national team.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
That means Eng66, RedEagle and yours truly will be playing for Portugal. I'm playing up-front! I called it!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Don't see me where?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
At the game....didn't you say you were gonna be playing??

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Oh, sh*t! That was today? Fecking palm pilot!

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I knew it. I didn't see any :crazy: maniacs running around, so I knew something was up.

Feckin technology!!!

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starting for Norway: 4-5-1:
Espen Johnsen - Christer Basma, Azar Karadas, Bård Borgersen, Thomas Pereira - Alex Valencia, Espen Søgård, Trond Andersen, Fredrik Winsnes, Thorstein Helstad - Sigurd Rushfeldt.

Portugals starting eleven:
Tiago, Abel, Caneira, Ricardo Silva, Ze Nando, Jorge Silva, Quaresma, Tiago Mendes, Helder Postiga, Hugo Viana, Rui Lima.

Portugal's squad thanks to MFA :

"Quote MFA:
Académica (1) - Tonel
Boavista (2) - Jorge Silva e Rui Lima
Marítimo (2) - Bruno e Quim
P. Ferreira (1) - José Manuel
Penafiel (1) - Sérgio Leite
FC Porto (3) - Hélder Postiga, Paulo Costa e Ricardo Silva
Gil Vicente (1) - Luís Loureiro
St. Liège (1) - Moreira
Sp. Braga (1) - Ricardo Rocha
Benfica (2) - Caneira e Tiago
Sporting (3) - Hugo Viana, Quaresma e Tiago
U. Leiria (1) - Nuno Valente
V. Setúbal (1) - Paulo Ferreira
V. Guimarães (1) - Abel e Nuno Assis

A lot of these players have never played for the NT.Also Hugo Viana, if I'm not wrong , was the only one who has played for the A team.The youngest (Quaresma ) is 18, (i guess...) and the oldest (Quim) is 27."

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My half time report from the Norwegian forum:
Half time:

The field is filled with rain, and it makes it very hard to play. Norway has several times sent the ball in what was intented to be long passes along the ground, and the ball has just stopped.

After five minutes Norway created the first chance after Fredik Winsnes played the ball through to Helstad...who seems to have huge problems with the water filled pitch. Unable to properly control the ball, he first manages to hit the ball in when it's 1-2 cm outside of the line.

Now Portugal's great period came, and also their second biggest chance in the first half. For about 10 minutes, they dominate and push Norway back into defence. From the 11th to the 15th minute they had three huge chances, the biggest through Viana shooting the ball into the bar.

Now Norway take more command, and produce one quite big chance, where Pereira shoots just outside..with the keeper not looking like he could have taken it if it was inside.

In the 28th minute, Portugal produce their biggest, and also their last real chance in the first half. First a shot hith keeper Johnsen who has to box the ball out, a Portuguese player gets the ball, shoots, and Johnsen saves again, then another Portuguse player gets the ball on the corner line, and Johnsen is there to block him before the defenders take care of him.

After a couple of chances for Norway, and a rather calm period, Rushfeldt gets the ball on 20 meters, shoots, and FANTASTIC....1-0!!!!! Lifts it over the keeper, and goes in perfectly.

Half time.

After half time Norway started with a nice chance, but Helstad has no chance in the rain...and lost the ball alone with himself..(and the keeper).

Then Portugal hit a cross, and at the first post Postiga stood alone, and threw himself forward hitting the ball perfectly 1-1...great goal ;)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Thanks for the match report! Too bad my palm pilot ran out fo batteries and I forgot to dress up for the game, it would hav ebeen differently with me in the line up!:)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Keep the reports coming. I'm at work and unfortunately I can't watch the game.

Raining weather really sucks for the Portuguese game because they rely on posession in the midfield. :(

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
We had to go to penalties, but for some reason there were technical problems and we were not able to watch the last part. :mad:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yeah! Thanks for the update LadyE.

Does Portugal still play Romania tomorrow?

Also, who looked impressive on the field for Portugal?

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A bit clinical, and with a Norwegian perspective but nevertheless...I might write a proper match report later :)

The second half starts with Helstad being alone with the keeper...but as so many times before he seems to have no control on the wet pitch, and loses the ball in competition with himself and the pitch.

After 57 minutes, a long cross hits Postiga on the near post...and he beautifully heads in 1-1. Great goal

Trond Fredrik Ludvigsen comes in for Alex Valencia. in the 60th minute.

The game now enters its most boring period, and there are almost no chances at all. Portugal is slightly better, and has more ball possession.

Erik Nevland and Hassan El Fakiri comes in for Helstad and Søgård in the 69th minute.

Portugal now creates a few big chances, one of them even manages to make Johnsen take out his best, as he saves it magnificently.

Just before the end, Rushfeldt and Ludvigsen playes great football, and after a flick Ludvigsen is through but the rain makes him pass the ball ahead of him to far, and when he reaches the ball the keeper is already there, and he doesn't manage to get a real shot.

Portugal finishes with a couple of corners, and the game ends 1-1.

It is not undeserved, but anyone who saw the game would say that Portugal was slightly better.

Penalty shoot out:
2 - 1 SILVA scores..
RUSHFELDT misses.
3 - 1 FERREIRA scores
3 - 2 WINSNES scores
TIAGO Johnsen saves.
3 - 3 ANDERSEN shoots high and scores
MOREIRA. Johnsen saves magnificently, Moreira is not to blame
LUDVIGSEN. misses poorly
4 - 3 MANUEL scores
4 - 4 BASMA, captain for the day scores
5 - 4 POSTIGA lobs/chips the ball and scores
5 - 5 NEVLAND cannonball..and scores
6 - 5 CANEIRA scores.
BORGERSEN misses, and Portugal win.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Thanks again, Orange for your report!:) It sounds like it was a good game, but frustrating to a degree due to weather conditions. Kudos to your team for hanging in there.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It was a nice display...too bad about the weather condictions.Two nice goals...but Norway's goal was really a beauty:). The Norwish goalkeeper had a nice performance as well.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I loved both goals Helder Postiga had a nice header go in and Roshvelt or something like taht scored a beauty catching Tiago off his line and making a Euro96 flash back:dazed: nice goal for norway but portugal still managed to win in PK's bad ass weather affect the players and the game result,hope the other games have better weather the pitch was a swimming pool.

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Portugal and Romania won't meet. Portugal and Greece, and Norway and Romania will meet eachother. This is not a league tournament, but a small cup...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts