Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heavy on the trincos:

Portugal squad

Goalkeepers: Ricardo (Boavista), Vitor Baia (Porto)

Defenders: Marco Caneira (Benfica), Jorge Costa (Charlton), Jorge Andrade (Porto), Fernando Couto (Lazio), Abel Xavier (Liverpool), Rui Jorge (Sporting)

Midfielders: Paulo Bento, Hugo Viana, Pedro Barbosa (all Sporting), Vidigal (Napoli), Fernando Meira (Stuttgart), Paulo Sousa (Espanyol), Petit (Boavista), Sergio Conceicao (Inter), Capucho (Porto), Luis Figo (Real Madrid)

Forwards: Pauleta (Bordeaux), Joao Pinto (Sporting)

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Here's my starting team:

***********************Baia**************************

***JorgeAndrade****F.Couto***J.Costa*********RuiJorge****

*****************Vidigal*******PauloSousa**************

****Conceicao********************************Figo*****

**********************JoaoPinto**********************

***********************Pauleta***********************

Reasons for my selection: Jorge Andrade has speed and is better suited on the wing than either JC or Couto.

No contest on the right with Simao out. Conceicao has secured his spot again.

Who else but Joao Pinto behind Pauleta?

So my choices were fairly easy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fee-go,

A couple of your choices leave me perplexed. First of all, you do not have Ricardo and Petit in the starting lineup, despite the fact that, when healthy and available, both are first choice players. Are you looking for Oliveira to evaluate both Baia and Vidigal, or do you not like Boavista players? Second of all, why not keep Andrade in the center and leave Costa on the bench. Andrade gives you more speed and athleticism in the middle, which is presently lacking with Couto and Costa. Furthermore, it allows you to place Abel in the starting lineup. The way he has turned it around for Liverpool, he certainly deserves it.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
selecao2002 said:
Fee-go,

A couple of your choices leave me perplexed. First of all, you do not have Ricardo and Petit in the starting lineup, despite the fact that, when healthy and available, both are first choice players. Are you looking for Oliveira to evaluate both Baia and Vidigal, or do you not like Boavista players? Second of all, why not keep Andrade in the center and leave Costa on the bench. Andrade gives you more speed and athleticism in the middle, which is presently lacking with Couto and Costa. Furthermore, it allows you to place Abel in the starting lineup. The way he has turned it around for Liverpool, he certainly deserves it.
Excellent points there, S2002. Kudos!:)

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I only started Vidigal and Paulo Sousa because they haven't played enough with the seleccao. Of course I would want to start Petit and Ricardo but yes, we need to evaluate Baia, Vidigal and Paulo Sousa. Neither of these should be guaranteed a spot IMO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
***********************Ricardo***********************

***Abel Xavier****F.Couto***J.Costa********Rui Jorge****

*****************Petit*******Paulo Bento**************

*********************Paulo Sousa********************

****Conceicao********************************Figo*****

***********************Pauleta***********************

Paulo is a better playmaker than JVP i saw him play for Inter and Juve in this position and he was great .

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Favio said:
[B
Paulo is a better playmaker than JVP i saw him play for Inter and Juve in this position and he was great . [/B]
The operative word being WAS. JVP is having a sensational season, and Paulo has been on and off with recurring injuries. If healthy, JVP gets the withdrawn forward role.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Favio said:
[B
Paulo is a better playmaker than JVP i saw him play for Inter and Juve in this position and he was great . [/B]
The operative word being WAS. JVP is having a sensational season, and Paulo has been on and off with recurring injuries. If healthy, JVP gets the withdrawn forward role.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Couto's Starting XI

..........................................Ricardo

..Abel Xavier ............Couto............Andrade.............Rui Jorge

........................Petit.................................Sousa

............................................Figo

...Conceicao...........................................................Capucho

..........................................Pauleta

or

.............................................Ricardo

....Abel Xavier................Couto........Andrade.................Rui Jorge

............................Petit...............................Bento

..............................................Sousa

....Conceicao................................................................Figo

.............................................Pauleta

I am torn between the 2 line ups !! for some reason I like the 1st line up even though some may argue Figo in CM may reduce his effectiveness . I have no doubt in my mind Andrade will play as Abel Xavier . Conceicao has been in dodgy form with Inter I hope he can put it together now. Sousa is the key here, how he and Couto marshall the defense is critical as the way Sousa & Petit distribute the ball to our attacking forces . Andrade will be the man to mark Mr R9 ( Ronaldo ). Pauleta hasnt scored for a few weeks so he is due. Figo I hope can weave his magic up front .

My prediction 1-1 or a loss after we have made all our 2nd half subs in these nothing games

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I'd take the second lineup wiht the interest of watching Sousa as the replacement for Rui - the only real suitable replacement we have for Rui, me thinks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts