Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys after going over the tapes he is my verdict over the 22

1- Vitor Baia - Well Past his use by date. Given Portugal plenty of fine moments , but none in Asia . Has forgotten how to set defenses- as was evident in his last few games at Porto . Was very sh!t V USA , just OK V Poland , & him forgetting to set defences V Korea cost us ( where was the man on the post ??? ).Baia is gone

2- Jorge Costa - How can I put it kindly for him ??? Well if he was a horse... He wouldve been shot. That header V USA may have been his finest , a real pity it was past a pathetic Baia & into his own net, yeah no doubt it was off side but you play the whistle . The world should not have been exposed to his crap after that point but AO insisted in handing the people of Portugal bullets that will eventually be lined up at him. Costa is gone

3- Abel Xavier - A man really at the Crossroads. Injured most of the time but when he finally got a run did OK , considering he was trying to push sh!t uphill. Depends who is the next boss that will decide his fate.

4- Marco Caneira - A youngster who came into the squad with huge wraps. Personally what I have seen of him hasnt impressed. So I will give time & no doubt one day I will see a good game from him. One for the future.

5- Fernando Couto - The old Warhorse may be getting a bit slower but is always at the contest , still winning in the air- just a pity his partner is past it & dragging him down. V USA was responsible for the 1st goalscorer getting through , V Poland Excellent , V Sth Korea Good game. Couto will be there for the next 12- 24 months easing the youngsters in. Whether he makes it to 2004 again is in the hands of the new boss.

6- Paulo Sousa - When we talk of Paulo Sousa , we are talking of a man who at the end of Euro 96 had the world at his feet , was all class & then said " I do not want to play for Portugal again " . How the times change . His bones turned to glass , his muscles to playdough , has had more clubs than my golf bag & then wants to play for Portugal again - Problem is everytime he gets called up , What Happens ??? Injured. Paulo Sousa is gone

7- Luis Figo - Our main man. Had a sh!t of a tournament. Has battled injury , battled form , battled bad press & even battled rumours of his wife appearing nude in a magazine - Some thing is wrong in FigoWorld , lets hope he can get it together again, he is too good a player to quit internationally ( ala Paulo Sousa ).
Figo's Future .... ??????????

8- Joao Pinto - Need I say more!! Played like a dog V USA , Excellent V Poland & his world crashed around him in 30 seconds of madness V Korea. He will be banned for a long time. But I will say the real crime here was JVP starting that game. JVP was gone anyway after the tournament , but now he is dead & buried.

9- Pedro Resendes " Pauleta" - starved in the 1st game , Kicked arse in the 2nd & in the 3rd was the victim of Oliveira's stuff ups. Will now go into Portuguese folklore as a WC Legend . Pauleta has a future and will be part of Euro 2004 atleast

10- Rui Costa - IMO the single most important cog of the Portuguese artillery. Forget Figo ...... Rui Costa is the one who pulls the strings , but unfortunately after a horror season with Milan..the WC came to quick & Was not fit . Rui Costa should be made Portugal Captain as he will be there in 2004, he will be the leader who will make Portugal the forefront of world soccer again.
Will be there in 2004 regardless of who is the boss.

11- Conceicao- In a word , Dissapointing. & if we know how Serge conducts himslef on the field , we all know he will be very dirty on himself. He promised so much & deliverd nothing. His preperation for the WC wasnt crash hot either, Injured , then in & out of the Inter team. Deserves another chance.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Report Card part 2

12- Hugo Viana - late call up due to Kenedy's weight loss outcome. Is all class & a reall star of the future. Kicked arse in the U21's Euros's prior to his call up. He is the future !!!!!!!

13 - Jorge Andrade - This guy I feel for !! Whilst watching Jorge Costa frolic around like a beach whale , surely Andrade must've got a sore neck looking over to Oliveira to see if the substitution was coming. I reckon he turned his head over 1500 times over 270 minutes . He was excellent in his only 20 minute stint V USA. He is the Man who will run the Portuguese Defense one day !!!

14- Pedro Barbosa - Another of the old War horse brigade. Oliveira didnt bother taking the blinkers of this one in his only correct decision of the tournament. Father time has caught up with Pedro & I wish him well in his retirement.

15- Nelson - Good GK, but only there cause of Quim's failure of a drug test. Maybe 3rd choice keeper in 2004 as there will be 2 better keepers ahead of him atleast.

16- Ricardo - This guy wouldve been beside himself in grief as he saw Baia's stuffups V USA. Clearly heads & shoulder , Portugals #1 keeper in this time except in the eyes of the criminal who didnt select him. Shouldve been called into the 2nd game , but no .. watched again how Couto saved Baia twice on his way to a clean sheet & V Sth Korea , well he wouldve had his bags packed by then. He is our #1 , but will face a challenge from the emerging Serge Leite

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pert 3

17- Paulo Bento- His 2 games V Poland & Sth Korea in a word, Excellent. I cant say a bad word about him except its a real pity that he will be overlooked cause Portugal will be entering a rebuilding stageand cause of his age will most definatley be overlooked.

18- Frechaut- An excellent player when on the top of his form but WC came to late for him. Had a very good , but long season with Boavista and in the end it caught up with him. Performed reasonably well V Poland , & unlucky to get yellow carded & injured. He will be there in 2004

19 - Capucho - Another at the crossroads. Has had to live in Figo's shadow at International level all his career. I will state he was Portugal's form player at the tournament & in the 15 minutes he played V Poland , did more than enough to suggest he shouldve been picked in the next game. Whether he is at 2004 will be up to the new boss again, I would pick him provided his games stays where it is at- but then I aint in contention to be boss

20- Armando Petit- after a incredibly shaky( & not like him at all ) 1st half V USA he went on to be Portugals best player for the tournament , Nuff said. He owns his spot in the team

21- Nuno Gomes- We know what he is capable of , but it wasnt going to be happening in this tournament till he gets himself a club that plays him more often. Didnt impress when he did get a run . Should be looking over his shoulder for the young guns of the Portuguese system for future games. Needs a new club & attitude( meaning a fresh start )

22- Beto - See Nuno Gomes. Even with the new club bit. With defenders especailly they need to be playing. At Sporting he was coming off the bench if needed. Not a good build up. He will be there in 2004 , he is to good a player and was underdone for this tournament

23- Rui Jorge- The quiet acheiver :) , I rate this guy cause he gets on quietly about his work with the minimum of fuss. Will still be there in 2004 at left back .

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Figo's missus in nude piccies is hardly a rumour. I have a powerpoint file of her in the buff (the whole 9 yards, with oil on, legs askew you name it).

and Couto will probably be banned along with Pinto for a looooong time.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The referee has stated only a report has been lodged against Pinto. When asked about Couto , he said he was trying to calm him down, whick mustve worked , cause the referee couldve abandoned the game and handed it to Korea !!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Badge said:
Figo's missus in nude piccies is hardly a rumour. I have a powerpoint file of her in the buff (the whole 9 yards, with oil on, legs askew you name it).

and Couto will probably be banned along with Pinto for a looooong time.

Yea? Can you possibly send it to me?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Agree with most of hyour assessments, but not Baia. Yes Ricardo should have been started, yes Baia had a horrible game against the U.S. when he fumbled some that didn't go in and miscommunicated with the defence, and let one in that was his fault, but he was our only hero in the game against S.K. Are you sure you re-watched that game? Yes the ball went between Baia's legs, but it was my fave player, Conceicao, who let the Korean blow past him. The goal was more Sergio's fault than Vitor's.

Figo, we can only hope we returns to mental and physical top form.

Beto - a talented, but not altogether intelligent player.

Couto/Costa - think you were too hard on Costa and too easy on Couto. To my eye, Couto was just as bad against the U.S. as Costa.

The rest is pretty much on the money.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tinto said:
Agree with most of hyour assessments, but not Baia. Yes Ricardo should have been started, yes Baia had a horrible game against the U.S. when he fumbled some that didn't go in and miscommunicated with the defence, and let one in that was his fault, but he was our only hero in the game against S.K. Are you sure you re-watched that game? Yes the ball went between Baia's legs, but it was my fave player, Conceicao, who let the Korean blow past him. The goal was more Sergio's fault than Vitor's.

Figo, we can only hope we returns to mental and physical top form.

Beto - a talented, but not altogether intelligent player.

Couto/Costa - think you were too hard on Costa and too easy on Couto. To my eye, Couto was just as bad against the U.S. as Costa.

The rest is pretty much on the money.
I watched the game. & yes I said Conceicao was " Dissapointing" His mistake of turning his back on BUCK CHunk Honk or whatever his name was unforgivable. But so was Baia's mistake of not having anyone on the goal post !!!
Costa's shot
Couto's 1st game V USA as I said was Shot aswell , He was responsible for the 1st goalscorer getting through.

But back to Baia... He will always be one of my alltime favourites , but now he is physically shot !! He has lost the confidnce of his team mates.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tinto said:
Vai batir a punheta com outra photografia. ;)
In Portuguese we use the "F" not "PH". "Batir" is spelled "Bater".

Please make a note of it.

That is all.

Your friendly neighborhood Portuguese Spelling idiot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think all of Couto 5's ratings are right on the money. Couto will be there for 2004 and it will be the last time he dons a Portugal jersey along with the rest of the golden generation. I hope they pick a fuc*ken good coach like pacheco or hiiddnick. Couto 5 wouldnt be a bad coach either.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
By the way, if they pick Artur Jorge to coach heads are going to FUC*KEN roll. Screw him and all those other bastards in the Portuguese fedreation who still want Oliveira(god, i cant even say his name without getting pissed).:fero:

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
(Just realizes Couto 5 is using his comment about Brazil as a sig:D (Sorry I just feel special:D )

Anyway I agree with most of those comments. I'm just surprised no one analysied Oliveira!

Report Card-Oliveira

Strategies F-
Common Sense F-
Use Of GOOD Players F-
Use Of Subs D-(At least he put in Gomes SOME time)
Bobbing Head And Cursing On Sideline Because He Sucks At Drafting the Team A+++++++
Use Of Starters F-

Chances Of Being At Portugal For 2 More Years Until Euro- Snowballs Chance In Hell

And Now Presenting THE TONY OLIVEIRA MASTERCARD PROMO!

Coat And Matching Pants-$500
Shirt-$100
Glasses-$150
Shoes-$99

....Getting Yelled At By Every Portuguese Person Because Your Stupid....-Priceless

For Everything Else There's Being Smart

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Well I try.... sometimes...;)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
(Just realizes Couto 5 is using his comment about Brazil as a sig:D (Sorry I just feel special:D )

Anyway I agree with most of those comments. I'm just surprised no one analysied Oliveira!

Report Card-Oliveira

Strategies F-
Common Sense F-
Use Of GOOD Players F-
Use Of Subs D-(At least he put in Gomes SOME time)
Bobbing Head And Cursing On Sideline Because He Sucks At Drafting the Team A+++++++
Use Of Starters F-

Chances Of Being At Portugal For 2 More Years Until Euro- Snowballs Chance In Hell

And Now Presenting THE TONY OLIVEIRA MASTERCARD PROMO!

Coat And Matching Pants-$500
Shirt-$100
Glasses-$150
Shoes-$99

....Getting Yelled At By Every Portuguese Person Because Your Stupid....-Priceless

For Everything Else There's Being Smart
LMFAO!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts