Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, and they will show it in their home in Portugal in 2004 !!! Go Portogal !!!

Figo is still the best player of the world.
Conceicai is still the best on right side.
Rui Costa is still the best playmaker.
Pauleta is still the best striker.
Couto is still the best Captain + hair style.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Lazindo01 said:
Yes, and they will show it in their home in Portugal in 2004 !!! Go Portogal !!!

figo and costa might be the best and couto might have the best mullet in all of portugal but that does not make them the best TEAM, best indvidual players yes but best team i dont think so.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Portugal, France, Argentina, Croatia ... All BLOWN out of proportions by their Followers, All BLOWN out of the WC In the First Round for believing the FABLE !!!

:dielaugh:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Lazindo01 said:

Thanks Lazindo. It's nice to know a little country like Portugal has supporters outside of its borders. Forca Lazio!

·
Registered
370 Posts
you guys seem to amaze me. I know this post comes way late , but you guys are up there with the english and all you BS about being the best and not producing. Come on now give some respect. Portugal crashed out in the first round and you still say they are the best team in the group. Like someone said the best players dont always equal the best team. Dont get me wrong I like portugal , but dont be fooled in the WC you were our enemies. I hope you the best in Euro , but come on , if an american were to say something like that about the
US National team , every european would be like " those arrogant Americans and bla bla bla. Take others perspective before you speak . It is something that everyone critisizes Americans for not doing , yet the rest of the world can. But whatever , good luck. And hate to burst your bubble
, Figo has lost his world best player title. He is still very high on the totem pole but not on top anymore

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lazindo01 said:

It would be more correct to say 'Portugal still have best players in group D'
Its not that hard to find a team with bunch of great players but play horribly as a team. (like Texas Rangers, bunch of graet hitters but horrible pitching staffs)

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Austin said:
you guys seem to amaze me. I know this post comes way late , but you guys are up there with the english and all you BS about being the best and not producing. Come on now give some respect. Portugal crashed out in the first round and you still say they are the best team in the group. Like someone said the best players dont always equal the best team. Dont get me wrong I like portugal , but dont be fooled in the WC you were our enemies. I hope you the best in Euro , but come on , if an american were to say something like that about the
US National team , every european would be like " those arrogant Americans and bla bla bla. Take others perspective before you speak . It is something that everyone critisizes Americans for not doing , yet the rest of the world can. But whatever , good luck. And hate to burst your bubble
, Figo has lost his world best player title. He is still very high on the totem pole but not on top anymore
I think your judging Figo on 3 games. Every team has off days thats life, you take it how it comes. Also on the fact that this is Portugal saying they are better is not the case since the poster is Italian, so thus those comments weren't needed. Also on the arrogance level... I'm going to say that it is very high still in USA. I mean the fact is that USA's advance was quite lucky, because I'm sure that had that been another day, had we not lost 2 players, we would have advanced, but that isn't the case and USA still advanced and thats what's important. But the fact that when USA tied and won it was on fricken ESPN for 4 hours and replayed 3 times. Yet, when they lost it was mentioned for 40 seconds, hell I don't even recall hearing them losing when they were announcing that USA had advanced in the WC. And the same thing happened at my school. The day we won none of the Americans even said anything. The day they lost they just wanted to joust us even though they lost as well. There was only ONE American who actually had the sense to say that had it all been different it would've been Portugal going through. And although I'll admit that USA has a GOOD team the truth is they really caught us on an off-day and again I'll say that it's that day that counted.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Re: Re: Portugal is stilll the best thing among those 4 even though they don't adv.

jamisont said:

(like Texas Rangers, bunch of graet hitters but horrible pitching staffs)
You do realize this is a SOCCER forum...

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
colocolo said:
Portugal, France, Argentina, Croatia ... All BLOWN out of proportions by their Followers, All BLOWN out of the WC In the First Round for believing the FABLE !!!

:dielaugh:
Surely your not saying that USA is better than Argentina and France? Do I smell redundance?:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes, I like Portugal, I like Figo.
Their secend match was wonderful, that was beatiful!
:cool:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Though we did crash out, we are the best team in that group, not saying SK, Poland, and U.S.A stink. They are all great teams, but Portugal is simply better. Our players are far superior, but it's the coaching that hurt us. We gave no effort to win any of the games, even tough we crushed Poland. We only gave effort of the last minutes of the SK game. Though we defeated Poland, we played like bad throughout the game, getting ugly goals, but goals are goals and wins are wins.

And yes Austin, you are right on one thing. A team with the best players is not always the best team. It really depends on how you use the talent and ofcourse you need direction and that's where a good coach comes in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I still dont see how you say they are the best TEAM in the group. You didnt even make it to the second round. Now if you want to say that you are the most talented team in the group , that I will buy. As for not having direction. I dont disagree , but i dont totally agree. At that level you dont need a coach holding the players hand telling him what to do all the time. Unless there is lack or preperation and the wrong players on the field , the responsibilty should lie on the players and not the coach. In my opinion Portugal just didnt get it done. As for the arrogance in Americans , I wont BS you and say we are not , we absolutely hate to lose , it is in our nature. But you have to admit that we get alot of crap simply because we are American. The French the English ect ect are every bit as much s arrogant as we are . And the fact that not many people around the world including our own people want to see us Succed in international football doesnt make things any easier for American Soccer Fans. There is no other country in the world that has soccer bashers like here. Some people here hate it so much they go out of there way to bash the game and everything about it. You have to be a pretty tough cookie to be an American Soccer Fan because we get crap from the rest of the world , and from our own damn people

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Well said young man, right on target!

There are gracious winners and losers, and there are poor winners and losers. I know Austin, that you are a player. I am a player for longer than most people on this board have been alive. After every game, win or lose, I shake hands with my opponents. A player knows that games are decided on the field, and that all the posturing and ranking and talking about who is better in theory is worth a hill of beans. You lace up your boots, cross the line, and go at it. I speculate that many of the big talkers here have never competed at a level higher than gym class.

If I had a pickup game and could choose between those top Portugese stars and the top American players? I would be a fool not to pick the top Portugese guys. But it isn't about who dribbles best, or volleys best, or defends best, in the end it is about who wins, or in a tournment more specifically, who advances. USA advanced.... Portugal went home. Case closed. You can think Portugal is the best team all you want. You could even have had a beer back home at the bar with those worldbeaters while all of them watched the US v. Germany on TV in the quarters.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Listen, you have to understand that teams choke and go through all problems. The U.S.A NT was well prepared for the WC, while the Portuguese NT was not. They hardly preparded for this WC. This WC was supposed to be theirs, the players, who had been waiting all of their careers for it, but then they saw the coruption of the Portuguese Federation Of Soccer and their own coach. You have to also remember that this was their first WC appearance, no player on the team had been their before.

Austin, I don't understand, your level where coaching is not essential. Every team needs a coach. And for this Portuguese NT a good coach was necessary. These players like I said had never played in a World Cup before, and though they may be some of the best in the World, they need direction. They had gone through qualifying together for 12 years, and missing two by costly mistakes, and making this one was easily achieved. The players were the ones who got the Portuguese NT through to the WC Finals, because of their previous experiences. Now their was no WC Final experience for any of them, so now the burden was put on the coach to lead them. Unfortunatly the coach was that ****en fat bastard Antonio Oliveira who just sat back for the ride.

So I'll say this again, A team with the best players and a bad coach will never defeat a team with 11 players and the best coach.

Now you may judge Portugal on the WC performance to say that they are not the best team in the group, well they weren't during the WC. I'm not making up excuses, there were injuries that should have required surgery, lack of experience, lack of direction, lack of coaching, and lack of determination. If the same Portuguese team from qualification played in the group stage of the WC, Portugal would have easily won the group. Now you have to understand that the Portuguese NT that played in the WC was not at full strength, and not prepared. All the other teams, were given an advantage and easily took it.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Freddie said:
Well said young man, right on target!

There are gracious winners and losers, and there are poor winners and losers. I know Austin, that you are a player. I am a player for longer than most people on this board have been alive. After every game, win or lose, I shake hands with my opponents. A player knows that games are decided on the field, and that all the posturing and ranking and talking about who is better in theory is worth a hill of beans. You lace up your boots, cross the line, and go at it. I speculate that many of the big talkers here have never competed at a level higher than gym class.

If I had a pickup game and could choose between those top Portugese stars and the top American players? I would be a fool not to pick the top Portugese guys. But it isn't about who dribbles best, or volleys best, or defends best, in the end it is about who wins, or in a tournment more specifically, who advances. USA advanced.... Portugal went home. Case closed. You can think Portugal is the best team all you want. You could even have had a beer back home at the bar with those worldbeaters while all of them watched the US v. Germany on TV in the quarters.
There is doubt in me that you are right and I also believe that the U.S.A is a great side now. But what I'm trying to point out is that Portugal faced more disadvantages then any side in the WC, and this was only shown first in the first game.

You know it's sad... we were handed so many obstacles, that we could never defeat. Come on Brazil-Germany final!!! We defeated Germany 3-0 at Euro 2000, though Germany may have improved I still believe that at full strength we could beat them 2-0, 1-0. Brazil a month before the WC began!!! 1-1!! With Brazil getting a penalty to tie it all up, we were without one of our stars, and we still managed to score on the WC Champs Brazil side.

It was a total collapse... The FPF, The Portuguese Coach Antonio Oliveira, and FIFA robbed the team and the country.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
F*cking embarrassing, is what the Portuguese team is.

Just as f*cking embarrassing is our fans and our pathetic chest thumping even after our performance. In fact, it's this "poor me" mentality that's partly responsible for the team's dismal performances. The best team wins in the end because they can overcome obstacles. Portugal came in third in overcoming their obstacles. Part of their obstacles were S. Korea and the US and they couldn't surpass those either. The best teams shine int he face of controversy. We cowarded like a victim, and thus invited victimization - mostly from ourselves.

The team's internal problems aren't the business for other fans to consider, they're ours. Each team's got their own bullsh*t to deal with. How these internal problems are dealt with is part of what makes a team suckass or great, not players alone. In the end the collective is what shows up on the pitch.

The fact that we fans of our tiny nation can't seem to deal with the facts without the embarrassing chest thumping is, to me, even more embarrassing than the team's performance.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Portugese guys, don't read me wrong, I love the style and level of play of your team. I can't say I was sad to see them fail because it was to our advantage, but they definitely had a tremendously disappointing performance. They did not get it done.

Austin, I say SS is spot on about coaching being an essential element at any level. Just look what Arena has done for us... Ericsson for England.... The Dutchman for Korea... managing the egos and personalities of world class athletes takes a special man, and just look at how Portugal suffered for the lack of a steady hand at the helm.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Ahhh, the old coaching versus talent debate.

I see this delicate balance as a whole Pizza pie - the pie being a successful team.

To have a whole Pizza you have to have eight slices - if your Pizza is short on talent slices, then they have to be compensated through coaching slices. If your Pizza is abundant in talent slices, then coaching slices become a little less important to your diet, and vice versa.

The point is your entire Pizza as a whole has to be tasty and nutritious regardless of the combination of toppings.

Note to self:

I'm hungry.

That is all.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Basically guys, this is just the end of another chapter of the disease in Portuguese soccer.

I agree with Pila, the performance given by our players and coaching staff was embarassing. Before the WC began, months before, you had fans from all over the place, mainly Argentinian and French saying we are going to win it all. Then they would make comments on other favorites that the media said were still far apart from both of them. We defended our nations. They defended theirs. In the end both teams were eliminated in the first round. Which proves what is on paper isn't always right and could be bull****t.

After Portugal lost against the U.S.A, I wasn't coming up with the excuses, blah,blah,blah, we lost because of this.... No. My head was held high throughout the whole day though felt sadness in my heart. Yet I still had faith in my team, but after that victory against Poland, I said it's over, we played good but it's over. We crushed them, but I didn't see anything in their performance.

Portugal was ranked about 4th in the World coming in to the WC, FIFA Rankings 5th. The U.S.A, and SK played with heart, and determination to win unlike Portugal that is what made them the better team. Their coaches also pulled up great strategies to win, for that I salute them. SK may have been given help by officials, but they played well. The U.S.A in my eyes even better.

But this WC is already in the past, now everyone is looking to the next major tournament, Euro 2004 Portugal, and some WC Germany 2006. All I know is that Portugal has to come up with a great performance at Euro 2004, because this time there will be nowhere to run.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts