Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to say, as a spaniard, wishing all the best in euro 2000. I have all due respect for portuguesse cause here in toronto there have to be a billion. I will be pulling for you in group 1 with romania cause I`ll be honest, germany and england are my least favourite ****ing teams and I hope every german and england dies.

I know that there is only mutual respect between all the teams in the 'latin' region of europe with Portugal, France, spain a italia. But, when it comes to soccer, we hate eachother for that game that we are playing each other.

So, portugal, cause some damage please, but in this tournie, knowone is stoping spain!!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
likewise to Spain ;)

Spain has got a team that smashes everybody in the qualifiers, but then in the tournaments they always seem to choke.
Portugal too, but unfortunately they sometimes choke even in the qualifiers.

Anyway, there's no need to hate anybody, let's just hope we can meet in the final

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey spainiard we think alike we both hate england and germany although england much more because of their arrogane.
I have respect for the latin countries although not much for france but when it comes to football we hate ecahother. I would actually quite like Spain because of the similarity to Portugal but you are our neigbours and so I do have to hate spain when it comes to football. Oh and I laso hate Italy when it comes to football but more for thier arrogance.

·
International
5,629 Posts
If there's a select team that I hate in Europe it's Italy. They play most boring of games, granted they've had some great defenders and some deadly finishers, but I can't stand the way they squeak games out with usually little talent and the help of referees. God they remind me of Porto :)!

The biggest robberies I've ever seen on a soccer field have usually involved Italy robbing some African or Latin American team out of the world cup quarterfinals or semis. Man I hope they wind in 4th in their group!

Viva Portugal!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Well this may be out of the blue....as much as I want a Portugal Spain final, I don't as well. To me that would signify that the spaniards were succesful. Frankly (no offense to anyone), I am not a big fan of the spanish. Back in high school during USA '94 I cheered for Spain (I never knew a spaniard then) emphatically. I just wanted the Spaniards to win it all and beat the team that I hate most Italy ( :) ) badly. Didn't happen. EURO 96 I also cheered for Spain (again I never met a spaniard here either--still in high school), I saw that the tournament had the possibility of Portugal meeting spain in the final. Ironically in the summer of 96 I came into first contact with a spaniard. A girl in fact. We hit it off and I liked her a lot. Her father would have none of this. He didn't want his spanish daughter socializing with a Portuguese.

Later on in my life (97-98-99) I would frequent clubs a lot, being a young guy in college. Many times in college I would meet spaniards who would want to fight me baceuse I am Portuguese.

So from all of my experiences...i am not to fond of spaniards...I hope they are not all like that...Spaniard you seem to be a cool guy...I am wondering if there is a natural animosity between Port-Spain in Toronto or if anyone outhere knows of any reasons that these two cultures dislike each other. GameRod you may help out a lot here. You live in Portugal and have a first hand experience with these things. What is the general attitude in Portugal towards Spain? And Vice-Versa. I hope it is not like the ones I encountered....

------------------
Forca Jardel!
Forca Porto!
Forca Portugal!

http://portista.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
646 Posts
Historically Spain has tried to conquer Portugal on several occasions, and i imagine Spain looks down on it's smaller neighbour.
Similar antipathy exists between the Scots and the English and the Dutch and the Germans.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You know neighbours... sometimes we're friends, others we're fighting. Usually that's because of things like trading competition or water supply. Most of our rivers come from Spain. On the other hand we use to stick together when necessary, specially towards the rest of Europe.
But Santamaria has a point, historicaly both governments have always been direct competitors. The first Portuguese kings tried to conquer the other side, and also the other way around. But when the Spanish got together and formed Spain, then Portugal became the exception... the small independent neighbour. So maybe some people on both sides dislike each other for that.

Anyway, I think we'll meet every kind of people, nice or arrogant, from Spain. Like everywhere else. In Spain itself there is some rivalry between the different regions. Castilla, Andalucia, the Basc region, Galicia and others, have their own language and cultures. Our relationship with Galicia, for instance, is very close. Because we have much cultural bonds. Even our languages are considered by many investigators to be the same. If you check our language's history you'll find that before Portuguese there was Galaico-Português. But since Galicia has been ruled for years by central Spanish governments, Galician characteristics were strangled, including the language.

I met few spaniards, and they weren't much different.
It really depends on people. If that girl's father didn't like you for being Portuguese, then he must be very short-sighted. And in college, people often tend to get together in competitive groups and show off.

And of course...in football the games have a special flavour between Portuguese and Spanish.
I think that the last Spain-Portugal game score was 2-2 in Spain, but a bunch of years ago, before euro96.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I think people must be evaluated as individuals, rather than as members of a nation, culture, or race. If I meet a rude person from Germany or France or wherever, I consider that person to be just rude, not a "typical rude person from Germany or France". Unfortunately, I know plenty of Portuguese that are sometimes guilty of this too. How many times do you hear people say how much they hate all British because they come down to the Algarve every summer? Are some of the tourists (alright - the majority) loud, rude and obnoxious? Sure, but I have plenty of friends from England who are warm, down-to-earth people, and I'd have really missed out on some good times with them if I had simply dismissed them as "British".

As far as Spain goes: for what it's worth, I spent some time in Spain last year with my fiance and her family (they're all Portuguese citizens) and all the locals were wonderful. Not a single problem - everyone was polite, friendly and actually inquisitive about the Portuguese language ("how do you guys say this word or that word?"). When I look back on that trip, I'll think of the individuals I met in Spain, not just a generalized view of a country and its people based on historical differences.

Just my two cents...

[This message has been edited by Razor (edited 05-04-2000).]

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
I guess I met a couple of bad apples?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Spaniard - do you not think that it is a bit harsh to wish for all the English and Germans to die.
Also the English try to take over all of Britain (which includes a little place called Wales). If anyone should hate them, as a celt it should be me but I don't. I have many English friends and know a lot who think the Welsh should be killed. My point is that it is the media (mainly the twat Murdoch) who are the twats. They keep pilling on this nationalistic, England rules the waves bull**** (yes Murdoch is an Australian American).
Also the government is crap a lot of the time and cares too much about what America will think of us (i.e Kosovo) or are just plain greedy (i.e. the Gulf , Falklands).
However I support the English team (not as much as Wales) because I know them best. The English arrogance is a myth potrayed by an arrogant media.
The loud holiday thing is funny cos I bet that everyone has been drunk on holiday and maybe woken the neighbours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts