Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article in an English newspaper, the sensationalist approach shows that it is not a well thought of paper, so take the article as you will!

Arsenal's plans to buy £6 million Brazilian striker Edu ran into a majornew problem yesterday when the player's excuses for being turned away from the UK with a forged passport were revealed as a tissue of lies.
Mario Miranda, counsel for the Portuaguese Embassy in Brasiliasaid "I can guarentee that none of the nine consulates which exist inBrazil issued a passport for Edu.
In addition, Miranda confirmed it would have been impossible for Edu to get the passport outside of Brazil.
Edu claimed that his agent Juan Figer got the passport legally in Lisbon, and that he was simply missing a further document proving it was the real thing.
But Miranda pointed out "It cannot be done in Portugal under any circumstances. A person who was not born in Portugal is obliged to request his papers in the country of his birth.
"Anyone who wants Portuguese nationality has to prove their mother or father is Portuguese. "The process can take between one and two years and is always done the Portuguese consulate or Embassy in the country where the
applicant is living.
"The rules are very strict on this, and they don't change because someone is famous or important. Everyone has to comply with the law.
Britain's Home Office has confirmed that the passport is forged, but Miranda said yesterday that Portugal would have the last word and has yet to give its verdict.
Edu remained astonished at the accusations against him. He said yesterday "I'm lost in the middle of all this. But I still believe that if the passport had been false, I would have been arrested.
Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger admitted that the frustrations over the Edu deal meant that his efforts to sign Sao Paulo defender Edmilson had to be put on hold. He said "The Edmilson deal is dead at the moment because we need to sort out the problem with Edu.
"It is a difficulty at the Brazilian end and we can't get the player unless we get the passport.
Arsenal's other Brazilian player, Silvinho last night insisted that the club still want to sign Edu.
Silvinho has spoken with Wenger and his pal Edu and says that the deal is on. The whole sorry transfer sega has been a source of embarressment to Arsenal.
But Silvinho said "I have spoken with the manager many times this week and he has told me that Arsenal still want to sign Edu.
"I still think the move will happen. Nothing of this is Edu's fault. The mistake was not to do with him.
"They want to sign him and I'm looking forward to having my friend with me in London. I have spoken to Edu and he is devastated by everything that has happened. He has shut himself away in his home because he is so upset."

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Natalya,
The thing was taht Edu's portuguese passport was not issued in Brazil but in Lisbon...he's agente got one from him their.
HIs grandad is Portuguese, and even phoned his mum complaining of all hte issue.
Edu said that when he arrived at Heathrow, the queue for the non-european line was full, while the queue for the Eu community was empty...so as he could not be bothered waitinig he went in the EU queue, and gave both pasports. Then they sent him homje!
He did say though that when hegoes back to London he will enter with a Portuguese passport!:)
The only problem with all htis is that if the Portuguese manager is seeuying this he might call Edu up for the Portuguese national side...as Edu has not played for brazil yet...but surely will go to the Olympics:) and win that gold medal:)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
According to the Telegraph,the Portuguese embassy
in Brasilia insisted that Edu had not applied for
a passport at any of their nine consulates and
that it would be impossible to obtain one
anywhere else. Therefore the forged paper with which he tried to enter the Uk had to be fake. More, the Arsenal player, to qualify for a Portuguese passport, would have to prove that his mother or father - not grandparent - was born in Portugal and that process can take one to two
years.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, the Portuguese embassador in Brazil said (if you had read the article :)) that it was impossible to issue a Portuguese passport to a Brazilian of Portuguese descent in Lisboa, it all has to be done in Brazil, so the agent must have forged it! Also as Al said, he needs a Portuguese mum or dad! Who knows where this one is going!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts