Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United hit-man Ruud van Nistelrooy is expected to return to the side for Saturday's trip to Portsmouth, live on Sky Sports 2.
The Dutch ace has missed The Red Devils' last three matches due to a knee injury but is tipped to make his comeback against struggling Pompey.

With Diego Forlan having failed to enhance his first-team claims in the midweek win over Leicester, van Nistelrooy may return alongside Louis Saha although Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is also on stand-by.

Ryan Giggs and Roy Keane, who were rested for the 1-0 triumph over The Foxes, are both likely to be restored to the starting line-up.

Portuguese starlet Cristiano Ronaldo, who scored his first United goal against Pompey at Old Trafford last autumn, may receive more of the cotton wool treatment and be dropped to the substitutes' bench.

United are unbeaten in their last 13 matches against Pompey, with their last defeat against the South Coast side coming in October 1957.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men head to Fratton Park seeking to overhaul Chelsea for second place and are in a similar vein of form to their hosts having collected ten points from the last four games.

Pompey have boosted their survival prospects in recent weeks, with three wins in four matches keeping them outside of the drop zone.

But Harry Redknapp's team are still only two points clear of third-bottom Leeds and desperately need the points against the reigning champions.

Redknapp has confirmed he will switch tactics in a bid to contain the visitors and revert to a flat back four, as opposed to the wing back system which was deployed in Monday's 3-1 win over Birmingham.

Such a change in formation could lead to Eyal Berkovic losing his place while former Red Devil Teddy Sheringham may have to settle for a place on the bench due to the fine form of Tresor Lomano Lua Lua and Yakubu Aiyegbeni, who has scored in his last four appearances.

The key fitness concerns for Redknapp surround Amdy Faye, Petri Pasanen and Linvoy Primus who both picked up knocks against Birmingham.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
04/16/2004. BACKGROUND: Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith face a struggle until the end of the season. Given their position, and the games that remain Portsmouth face an uphill battle to survive in the Premiership. But given the circumstances could there be a better managerial combination?

Redknapp and Smith, surely have all the experience, particularly in relegation battles to drive Portsmouth just far enough up the table to ensure safety. As it stands of course they are playing Premiership football next year. What is vital is that the players believe it.

Portsmouth appear to have the right blend of skill and experience that will elevate them above the others involved in the scrap. While teams like Blackburn and Manchester City would not have expected to be down there, and have got dragged into it, Portsmouth have been ready since the first whistle. This will stand them in good stead, and will ultimately ensure their survival.

Manchester United finally seem to have turned the corner. Following Chelsea's Easter stumble, United look at second place as a reasonable target. The very fact that it wasn't for a period speaks volumes for the 'crises' that they have suffered.

Performances appear to be on the up, ignoring the casual play against Leicester that is, but with the top spot beyond them the press have plenty of column inches to fill with speculation over comings and goings this summer.

Diego Forlan, Nicky Butt, Kleberson and Ryan Giggs are the most regularly discussed. While it seems certain that Forlan will be off, Betis and Sevilla are likely destinations, the others raise questions.

The constant carping at Ryan Giggs appears to confound logic. He has the second highest assists in the league this year, strangely after Muzzy Izzet, and that does not mention those he has gained in FA and European cups. A look over the past five years of the Premiership show that he far out-assists David Beckham, at a time when the England captain exclusively took all United set pieces and supposedly was the finest exponent in the world. Not bad for a player who apparently can't pass or cross. So suggestions that Giggs will leave because another left sided player may come in are laughable, especially when he can be deployed in the hole anyway.

Nicky Butt it seems will depart if he wants to. Ferguson would like to keep him, but if a decent club comes in, with a decent offer then it is likely that United would wish him good luck and send him on his way. Kleberson is the most interesting case. Apparently concerns lie in his attitude not ability. But it still seems very unlikely that Fergie would already be ready to cut his losses on a foreign player who has spent most of his one season injured. Hardly allowing him time to settle is it?

At least Saturday will allow Smith, Redknapp and Ferguson to meet up. Three constant figures in the English game will no doubt enjoy a drink or two, and apparently share a fondness for horse racing.

CURRENT FORM:
Portsmouth : DLWWDW
Pompey are definitely moving in the right direction. If they were to continue with the form they have shown of late then they would escape the drop. Yakubu's recent goalscoring has been key, and they will need him to continue in the same way.

Man United: LWDWWW
On the up. A little too late, but United have remembered how to win with economy. They barely broke a sweat on Tuesday night in seeing off Leicester. The game was unremarkable throughout, and, oh yeah, Gary Neville scored.

TEAM NEWS:
Portsmouth :Three Pompey players face late fitness tests. Pasanen (ankle), Faye (calf) and Primus (hamstring) are all battling to make the early afternoon kick off. Curtis, Hughes and Schemmel are all on stand by if required.

Man United : Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Roy Keane are unlikely to be rushed back into the fold for the encounter on the South coast. Kleberson and Forlan are missing through injury, while Saha should again be fit to play.

PROBABLE STARTING XI'S
Portsmouth : Hislop, Primus, Pasanen, De Zeeuw, Stefanovic, Stone, Berkovic, Smertin, Taylor, Yakubu, Lua-Lua

Man United: Carroll, G. Neville, Brown, Silvestre, O'Shea, Fletcher, Scholes, Butt, Giggs, Saha, Solskjaer

Tim Webber
------------------------------------------------------
Although Pomepy have been playing well lately, I dont think we will have much of a problem taking care of them. I hope both Ruud and Roy play for us in this match, at some stage. Saha should continue his good goalscoring record for us and I predict a 2-0 win. Saha and Giggs to score.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
if the defence concentrates for the full 90 we should see them off without much trouble.

now that weve got all our players ready, it almost surprises me how much quality we have going forward:
RVN, saha,ole,scholes,giggs,ronaldo

3-0 to united

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
*OZ* said:
if the defence concentrates for the full 90 we should see them off without much trouble.

now that weve got all our players ready, it almost surprises me how much quality we have going forward:
RVN, saha,ole,scholes,giggs,ronaldo

3-0 to united
i think your defense will leak a few

3-1 to manu:stuckup:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final score: Portsmouth 1 Manchester United 0

What a win for Pompey! Nothing short of sensational, bedlam at Fratton Park. A massive step towards safety for Harry Redknapp's men.

For United, they deserved something out of the game, but it just didnt happen.Ronaldo shud have scored in injury time with his free kick. Portsmouth had more to play for and you can't deny their boistrous fans the chance to celebrate.

A result that has far more interesting consequences for the bottom of the table than the top, but get this. It now means that if Chelsea lose today, Arsenal can win the championship with a win at Tottenham.

Line-ups:

Portsmouth: Hislop, Primus, Stefanovic, De Zeeuw, Stone, Faye, Smertin, Berkovic, Taylor, LuaLua, Yakubu. Subs: Wapenaar, Curtis, Quashie, Harper, Sheringham.

Man Utd: Carroll, Gary Neville, Brown, Silvestre, O'Shea, Butt, Scholes, Djemba-Djemba, Giggs, Saha, Solskjaer. Subs: Howard, Bellion, Ronaldo, Fletcher, Pugh.

Referee: N Barry (N Lincolnshire)

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
United were horribly poor in the second half,lack of ideas and just were hitting and hoping balls from the wings which Primus and De Heuss ate up all day long.

United need a playmaker/No.10 or winger of genuine world class to become better again,Giggs has had his day and Ronaldo is too young to be relied upon.:( :( :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
We payed price for missing several good chances....
We NEED another STRIKER, we cant relly on Ruud the man only....
Saha isnt Wordl Class, he is great, but I will say it again and again... Another striker...
And a PLAYMAKER of course ( Tevez ?? Vdv??? Cmon , give Fergie some big money so spend... )

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am disgusted with our performance today - only one team wanted to win this match and it was Pompey. We should have had a penalty right at the end for a handball but it would have been harsh on them and I think 1-0 was a fair scoreline.

In particular I would like to single out Butt and O'Shea for a special mention - they were both abysmal !!! Butt never looks comfortable on the ball and his passing was attrocious. Fair enough he breaks up play but that is all he brings to the team because he offers nothing whatsoever going forward. I would love us to sign a player in the summer that can break up play and provide a goal threat and good passing. The only players in the EPL who fit that bill are Vieira and Gerrard - we aint getting either of those so we need to play Fletcher in the middle and drop Butt.
O'Shea never goes forward with any purpose ny more - he never seems to have the ball under total control and is nowhere near the player he was last season - Fergie needs to buy a world class LB - or alternatively play Silvestre there and play Brown and Rio in the middle.

We have to sort out our away form next season - that isn't the first time we have gone 1-0 and never looked like pegging it back !!!

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
The match was crap. I dont know how fergie set the team up,,,,we didnt have any ideas. The players were just throwing balls into the box, and the portsmouth defenders were just clearing them off, (kinda like eng v bra in the 2nd half in the wc)

O'shea wasnt attacking, which is so frustrating as the guy can beat players and cross the ball very well, but he aint trying it. Butts passing was horrible.
Scholes and Saha were the only good players for us in the 1st half as they were the only ones trying. For the goal, our defenders should have also cleared the ball, they had 3 chances.

Ronaldo again didnt start. He didnt score from the freekick, and had 1 or 2 bad shots, but still when he came on, he added that energy and was the only player trying to score and make something out of nothing. I mean whats the point of him starting a game and then being on the bench for 4 or so games. There are only a few games left and he needs to start all of them, as he and scholes are our in form players and if we want to catch chelsea we need our best players.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
The match wasnt crap , United made it crap , The richest club in the world has a bad team, and maybe its time to change ur coach , this was unacceptable.:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Twayka said:
The match wasnt crap , United made it crap , The richest club in the world has a bad team, and maybe its time to change ur coach , this was unacceptable.:D
Disagree - we didnt make the game crap - it just wasnt a great spectacle - it happens sometimes. There were periods where we had some good moves - there was just no penetration and we lacked any fluidity. I dont think Fergie knows his best 11 - and even if he did, he is so hell-bent on resting players there is never any continuity to our line-up. In previous seasons you could always say what our best 11 was - these days I am just not sure. I would say:

Howard - GK
G Neville - RB
Brown - CB
Rio - CB
Silvestre - LB
Ronaldo - RM
Keane - CM
Scholes - CM
Giggs - LM
RVN - CF
Saha - CF

In saying that I think this line-up may lose out in midfield !!!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Like Pav mentioned above,one team wanted it more than the other and at the end of the day 1-0 was a fair result.

Fratton Park has been a difficult place to travel this season in the Premiership and special mention for the Pompey fans who were 200% behind their team today.

From the United perspective,the team looked surprisingly flat today.The midfield of Butt and EDD simply looked too rigid and lacked creative flair.That put tremendous pressure on Giggs,Ole and Scholes to come up with the plays.Both our fullbacks had poor games today and they contributed nothing of sorts going forward.

For much of the game,Saha looked isolated up front and even after going a goal down we never looked like getting back into the game.Like Jern mentioned above,the team looked short of ideas and in the end we were just hitting long hopeful balls down the channels to no one in particular.

A very disappointing result and even more disappointing performance from the team.Fergie should get his team selection sorted out by the time of the FA Cup final as we certainly dont want to see such a performance on Cup Final Day!:rollani:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm not saying that United played well, but the way Pompey played is an example to how any small team should play against a big gun. Their marking was great especially on the wings, they used two fast forwards upfront and when it was time they changed to a more defensive formation and created a wall that was almost impossible to break.

I don't think O'Shea was that bad today, he certainly had worse games....but you really need another LB. But the main problem is the central defense - sorry, but Brown and Silvestre are a joke. Even if they have some good games now and then, you know they'll make silly mistakes in the most unappropriate time. They simply aren't big club material, you should get a partner to Rio in the summer otherwise you'll suffer again next season.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
and fergi should be sacked , it took him over 7 years to win a trophy , i wonder how long it will take him to regroup his team.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The thing about O'shea, I think, is that he isn't really bothered cos he's got his position in the team garunteed.....if there was more competion for place i bet he would work harder. Normally there's Oshea, Silvestre and Fortune fighting for that position. Silvestre is playng CD, as well as brown, and as there's no competition for those places they aren't really bothered either.

What fergie shud do is bring in 1 class CD like Mexes next season, creating more competition of places in the team.

So ferdnand and mexes would be regulars, with brown, o shea, silvestre pushing for their places. At left back, silvestre would be the normal starter, although oshea n fortune would be fighting for that spot.

yesterday's game certainly showed us one thing, we definitely need a playmaker. that shud be fergie's top thing on the shoppinglist

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
silvestre is class , hes a magnificent defender , he only needs a partner , and thats ferinand , u need a new coach.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Twayka said:
and fergi should be sacked , it took him over 7 years to win a trophy , i wonder how long it will take him to regroup his team.
:howler: I'm considering having this as a signature...its so innane:D :howler:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts