Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're ONLY among the 8 best in Europe.

Today's game proved a couple of things:

1. FCP are strong in adversity and able to pull their strenght together at critical moments. Even the Portuguese League is not lost yet.

2. Fernando Santos is stiffling some of their most talented players. Why wasn't Clayton there from the start? Why does Paulinho Santos continue to start when Peixe is in much better form than him?

VIVA O PORTO!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the game report :)

Tuesday March 21, 2000, 10:46 PM London Time
Porto into last eight with 1-0 win at Hertha
BERLIN, March 21 (Reuters) - A superb second-half goal from substitute Ferreira Cruz Clayton presented Porto with a 1-0 win at Hertha Berlin on Tuesday and carried the former European champions through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Porto, needing at least a draw to make sure of qualifying whatever the result of the night's other group A match between Sparta Prague and Barcelona, showed very little apart from Clayton's solo effort.

The striker had been on the pitch only a few seconds when he slalomed through the home side's defence to race into the box and beat Hertha goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly from close range.

As Barcelona won 2-1 at Sparta, Porto, who had gone three Champions League matches without a win, would have gone through even if they had lost.

Hertha, playing in Europe's showcase club competition for the first time, had already lost all hope of going any further when they were beaten 3-1 at Barcelona last week.

The opening stages were dull and nothing really happened until the 15th minute when Kiraly failed to catch a cross from Porto's Carlos Secretario, only for Brazilian striker Mario Jardel to follow up with a harmless header.

The Germans' first opportunity followed five minutes later when a thunderous drive from some 22 metres by Brazilian striker Alex Alves flew just wide.

The Berlin club were dangerous again in the 23rd minute when Ante Covic escaped down the right wing and sent in a flat cross which found no takers.

The second half was barely more lively and the 30,000 fans who had bothered to sit on the terraces of a more than half-empty Olympic stadium must have wished they had stayed home until Clayton reminded them football could be exciting.

Porto, who could have made everything clear last week when they squandered a 2-0 lead over Sparta and had to be content with a draw, woke up after scoring and Jardel narrowly missed his ninth goal in the competition just before the final whistle.

Only a spectacular save from Kiraly prevented Hertha from losing 2-0 in their last European outing of the season.

The Berlin club, who returned to the German first division only in 1997, were impressive in the first part of their Champions League campaign with wins over two far more glamorous sides, AC Milan and Chelsea.

But they failed to win a game in the second phase and finished last in their group with just two points.

Hertha coach Juergen Roeber had decided to rest two key men, playmaker Dariusz Wosz and striker Michael Preetz. Both were sorely missed.

The victory of the visitors will have eased the pressure on Porto coach Fernando Santos, under fire since his team were beaten 2-0 by Sporting Lisbon on Saturday and lost the Portuguese league leadership to their old rivals.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
but still the people will dismiss our achievement by saying crud like we were in a weak group or we got lucky........WE ARE AMONG THE TOP 8 IN EUROPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Forca Jardel!
Forca Porto!
Forca Portugal!

http://portista.socceralliance.com

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sure. There will be plenty of sour grapes, like all the stuff about being favored by the refs in the I Liga, but the fact is that we made it. And in the process we made a lot of money to further strenghten the team. This IS A GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Força Porto!
Viva o Clayton!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aBSoLuTELY!

wHAT A TREMENDOUS ACCOMPLISHMENT!

eVERY pORTISTA SHOULD BE PROUD OF THIS AND SHOULD HOLD THEIR HEAD HIGH!

wHO GIVES A CRAP IF SOME HOPELESS bENFICA FAN OR BAND WAGON JUMPING sPORTINGISTA DISMISSES WHAT WE HAVE JUST DONE. oNTO THE NEXT ROUND AND LETS HOPE FOR THE BEST.

oNE THING tRIPEIRO. lETS DROP THIS SHI_ ABOUT GETTING RID OF sANTOS. iT'S HIS SECOND YEAR AND THINK HE'S DONE A FAIR JOB. aS FOR qUEIROZ. tELL ME WHAT THE HELL HAS HE DONE SINCE HE LEFT THE YOUTH PROGRAM IN pORTUGAL. i SAW AND FOLLOWED HIM COACHING sHIMIZU s pULSE IN jAPAN IN THE j-LEAGUE WHEN I WAS LIVING IN TOKYO AND LET ME TELL YOU i WASN'T TOO IMPRESSED. hE DID ABSOLUTELY SHI_. aCTUALLY, i THINK HE WAS FIRED OR SIMPLY LET GO.

pATIENCE AND STABILITY IS WHAT HAS WON fcp FAME AND SUCCESS IN THE LAST DECADE. fELLOW pORTISTAS, DO WE WANT TO BE ANOTHER LEMONADE STAND LIKE BENFICA AND SPORTING WHO REACTS TO DEFEAT BY FIRING AND HIRING COACHES LIKE I CHANGE MY UNDERWEAR! dO WE WANT TO GO THROUGH 4 COACHES LIKE SPORTING DID BECAUSE THEY SIMPLY SUCKED THE BIG ONE.

i GET THE FEELING THAT MANY OF YOU ARE QUITE YOUNG AND IMPULSIVE. BEING A BIT OLDER LET ME ASSURE YOU THAT INSTITUTIONS ARE BUILT WITH TIME, EFFORT AND INTEGRITY. tHE THREE KEY FACTORS THAT HAS LED FCP TO SILVERWARE AND FORTUNE. LETS CHILL, HAVE A BEER AND BE PATIENT. THE LEAD THIS YEAR IN THE PRIMEIRA HAS CHANGE HANDS VARIOUS TIMES. AFTER ALL WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ONE POINT AND THE BIGGEST CHOKERS IN THE WORLD...........SPORTING.

------------------
Viva O Norte
Viva Porto
Viva o Futebol Clube do Porto
Viva Pinto da Costa

[This message has been edited by Ola (edited 22-03-2000).]

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually agree with you, Ola. And I'm not calling for Santos' head right now. I do think he lacks some international experience and I question some of his decisions, but you're absolutely right that FCP has been built on patience, stability (and the intelligence and guts of Pinto da Costa).

I too think I am a bit older than many people on this forum and remember how far we've come. So right now, let's enjoy this great day and hope for a good show in the quarter finals!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be sweet Marcoa!

------------------
Viva O Norte
Viva Porto
Viva Futebol Clube do Porto
Viva Pinto da Costa

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
the financial benefits would be great! But the best would be the feeling of being champs and seeing the expressions on the faces of those MAY people who believe that a top-caliber team can only come from Spain-Italy-England-Germany...but then again those people would find some excuse claiming that we were lucky or something......

------------------
Forca Jardel!
Forca Porto!
Forca Portugal!

http://portista.socceralliance.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts