Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to ruin your Christmas, go and watch this game. :howler:

They'll be up for it after getting thumped for the saints and if Berger is back, I can't see us getting anything :eek:

Happy Christmas :groan:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Prem Preview: Portsmouth-Tottenham
Portsmouth - Tottenham Hotspur | Latest News | Match Preview | News Archive

Sheringham faces Spurs (Getty Images)
12/24/2003. BACKGROUND

Portsmouth and Tottenham find themselves involved in a relegation scrap this Christmas and are in need of some festive cheer when they meet at Fratton Park on Boxing Day.

Harry Redknapp's side will always have expected that they'd be in the midst of a basement battle, although their superb start to the season would have given some false hope. However, a run of defeats have seen them fall into the bottom three and the reality has again set in.

Tottenham on the other hand are yet to make it into the top half this season, but are only just waking up to the danger they find themselves in. They've currently only two points outside the bottom three, which led defender Dean Richards to warn his team-mates to take the threat of relegation seriously.

TEAM FORM

Portsmouth: LLLDLL

Since thrashed Leeds 6-1 Portsmouth have gone on a six game winless run, which has included five defeats. They are still reeling for Sunday's 3-0 defeat at South Coast rivals Southampton, who also beat them in the Carling Cup last month. The only point they picked up was a goalless draw away to Middlesbrough.

Tottenham: LWWLDL

Sunday's 2-1 defeat at home to Manchester United will have offered some encouragement as Pleat's side tested the Champions in the second half and were up against a team on the top of their game. It followed a penalty shoot-out defeat at home to Middlesbrough and a crushing 4-0 defeat at Newcastle.

TEAM NEWS

Redknapp welcomes back Patrik Berger, Arjan De Zeeuw and Steve Stone from suspension, but is without the injured Amdy Faye, who now faces two months out with medial knee ligament damage.

Spurs are without Paul Konchesky after Charlton recalled him from his loan spell. Darren Anderton is a doubt after he limped off against Manchester United on Sunday and will need a fitness test, as does Stephane Dalmat. Pleat continued to be without the injured Christian Ziege, Simon Davies, Bobby Zamora and Jamie Redknapp.

PLAYER TO WATCH

Porstmouth - Teddy Sheringham

It couldn't be anyone else but the 37-year-old striker that left Tottenham for the second time in his career at the end of last season. Sheringham is without doubt a big fan of the North London club, but he'd also love to prove that they were wrong to let him go, even though Glenn Hoddle is no longer in charge. Another Spurs old-boy Tim Sherwood will also have a point to prove.

Tottenham - Stephane Dalmat

The French midfielder has often been a joy to watch, although he's equally been frustrating. He is perhaps lacking the end product to persuade that it is in Spurs' interest to sign him permanent from Inter Milan, which appears to be what he wants. Meanwhile Darren Anderton will want to impress against his former club, who he almost joined in the summer, if he is declared fit to play.

PROBABLE STARTING LINE-US

Portsmouth: Wapenaar; Schemmel, De Zeeuw, Foxe, Stefanovic, Taylor; Sherwood, Berger, Smertin; Sheringham, Ayegbini.

Tottenham: Keller; Carr, Richards, Gardner, Taricco; Dalmat, King, Anderton, Ricketts; Keane, Kanoute.
Rob Hogley

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Prem Prediction: Portsmouth-Tottenham
Portsmouth - Tottenham Hotspur | Latest News | News Archive

12/24/2003. Portsmouth are dramatically on the slide and are now in the bottom three after five league matches without a win.

However, Tottenham are only two points better off and are realistically facing a relegation battle, along with half the Premiership, in what is an incredibly tight table.

Tottenham have only won once away from home this season and come up against two former players keen on proving a point.

Teddy Sheringham is bound to score, but a draw is the most likely result.

Verdict: Portsmouth 1 Tottenham 1
SAUK

soccerage

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johnny Jackson (who was called back from his loan spell at Coventry this week) is in the starting eleven :eek:

Other than that Poyet is in for Anderton.

Portsmouth have Berger, Stone and Yakubu back.

Game live on talksport. Come on you Spurs!!!!

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just had the feeling it would happen. Berger back, 2 long range shots :eek:

Heard Tim Sherwood dominated the midfield before he broke his leg.

Not much to build on from this game. :(

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looked at the league table. 17th :sob:

and this time I really can't us seeing breaking the jinx with this squad.

Brown is only available from the 17th cos of a suspension. Nicky Butt or someone like him is a must. Our midfield was nowhere again!!!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
No idea what is going wrong at Spurs. Or maybe the league is more competitive than ever between bottom and the middle.

I have every faith that we will stay up, but it's not looking very promising.

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hakan said:
No idea what is going wrong at Spurs. Or maybe the league is more competitive than ever between bottom and the middle.

I have every faith that we will stay up, but it's not looking very promising.
I got a few scapegoats and they include Stephan Carr. I don't see him as a captain. Every time I see him play, I see him swearing like hell (or according to my lip reading). He may have been at the club for quite some time and for that you might say that he'd deserve the captaincy but he was only given it by Pleat so that he would stay. I don't think it'd work though since he doesn't look like a leader. Also Stephen Kelly suddenly got called back from his loan spell at Watford this week. I really think Carr will be off to Newcastle in January .

Another one is Gus Poyet. Bless him, I love him, he does score goals but all in all his all legs have gone. Most premiership teams play with two holding midfielders who run up and down the park. We don't have any. I read that Ben Bowitch in our reserves was touted to be the next Freund and he's also done very well in Englands u20s. Maybe he should be given a run. Hopefully Pleat will change the midfield in the next few games since if we keep this, we'll be in for more misery :depress:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts