Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it be over on Monday?

I hope not, but awfully lot of things has to change in our team.

Portuguese don't even think of going home after the group stage. We shouldn't either. It will probably be a real battle!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everybody's disappointed in Poland after our miserable performance on Tuesday. Contrary to what many could think, expectations were quite high. Nearly 80% of all those who were watching tv that day, chose to watch Poland - Korea game. Over 8 million people watched it live - and it's on a week day, at 1.30 p.m! Taking all conditions into consideration, the number is incredibly high. Classes in schools were stopped, many companies allowed its workers to have two-hour break, pubs were full of madly passionate fans...

And we all were let down. Our NT was so hopeless that I don't even want to talk about it again. Anyway, there are still two games left. Obviously, pesimists have outnumbered optimists by a large margin, but the shocking result in Portugal - Usa game gave us some hope.

We simply must beat Portgal and US and we'll be in the 2nd stage. The game is expected to be really exciting as Portuguese and Polish players have found themselves in the same boat. Who loses - is out.

Well, to beat Portugal, we need to play even better game than vs. Norway last year. And apart from that, we need to be lucky. I still believe it's possible, although it's gonna be extremely difficult task, especially for a team that hasn't played a good game of soccer for half a year.

I'm prepared for the worst, but I want to see Polish NT fighting hard for a win. This is World Cup and most of these players won't be given second chance. We don't have brilliant football skills, but it's pathetic tactics and lack of any concept that I'm ashamed of. It has to be changed in the first place!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Agreed. If we went down fighting, i can accept it. We did not fight, we did not run, we did not think, we just did nothing. I'm watching other games, with teams supposedly worse than ours, and have come to the conclusion that they would destroy us.

Realistically, if we played Saudi Arabia, I would not be so sure of a win.

We were pilons. Big slow-moving things.

Its not that Korea was so much better because they are superior skill wise. We would have lost to a high-school team on that day.

By far the worse performance i have seen in many, many years.

I live in Canada and follow our NT. We have no scorers, but usually fight hard. Poland? No idea what that was. Man I can't describe the dissapointment.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree; I just want to see the team play, and not walk around the field like a bunch of Zombies. And Engel: I really thought the guy was a great tactician, but now, after watching his "brilliant" tactics misfire against Korea, I'm confused. I mean, he had 6 months to prepare for that one game!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only hours left now...

Engel won't probably change much. Jacek Bak is slightly injured, so Jacek Zielinski must be ready to play. Polish journalists want Cezary Kucharski to play in the first line-up, but I don't think it's possible. Perhaps Rzasa for Zewlakow, Kozminski switching sides with Krzynowek, Kryszalowicz for Zurawski... We'll see soon.

Anyway...

Go Poland! :star:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're laughing stock and doormats now.

It's the highest time to get rid of players like Swierczewski, Hajto, Waldoch, Kozminski or A. Bak!

Our supposedly strongest formation - defence - played horrbile game once again. A mistake made by Hajto when Pauleta scored the first goal was simply incredible :eek:

We played like kids. And the WC is place for grown-ups.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Poland sucks, it's very simple. This isn't the stage for a team this class. For some inexplicable reason, our defenders often seem to play the role of observers when the opposition has possession in the box. It happened in the Korea game, it happened against Portugal. I do not know what all the hype about Hajto was, some sites have nominated as the "star of the team" :rolleyes:, to me he's pretty useless. The star keeper has also made some blunders, if you compare Friedel and Dudek on this very matchday, I think the former was a tad more convincing.

But no, I haven't seen any of the games (not shown here), just judging from the replays.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
basically we played like crap again but at least we went down fighting. BTW i feel like ****en crying right know.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well don't be so down guys..and let me please state the obvious: it is after all only a game so all of this 'we are the laughing stock of the world' talk is non-sense. You don't need me to tell you that Poland doesn't need to win football matches to be respected in the world. And at least you got to the WC finals something Romania didn't manage this time around. And learning experiences such as this one are invaluble because they are reality checks so you can be sure that your football will grow as a result of this adventure. To use a cliched aphorism: "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". You guys will ger over this (as I did after Romania failed qualification) and soon your team will perhaps give you some happiness. But I warn you, I learned long ago not to pin my happiness on the performances of my Natl team, because then you'll just be setting yourselfs up for the depths of dispair when your Natl team loses (or fails qualification to the finals :mad: :) and who needs that kind of depression in one's life...unless of course you are Argentinian and your team is always among the best...oh wait..they just lost a game as well ;) I guess the life of the superfluously dedicated fan can be a tortured one indeed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am portuguesse i am not hear to make fun of nobody or talk shi.t I just want to say you played hard and not to feel bad. I just hope that you guys kick the sh.it out of the u.s.a . You need to win that so you can at least put your heads up high and know that you did not lose all 3 games. I will be cheering for you guys good luck:)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
thanks for the kind words it actually makes me feel just a little better.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
DacoRoman said:
Well don't be so down guys..and let me please state the obvious: it is after all only a game so all of this 'we are the laughing stock of the world' talk is non-sense. You don't need me to tell you that Poland doesn't need to win football matches to be respected in the world. And at least you got to the WC finals something Romania didn't manage this time around. And learning experiences such as this one are invaluble because they are reality checks so you can be sure that your football will grow as a result of this adventure. To use a cliched aphorism: "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". You guys will ger over this (as I did after Romania failed qualification) and soon your team will perhaps give you some happiness. But I warn you, I learned long ago not to pin my happiness on the performances of my Natl team, because then you'll just be setting yourselfs up for the depths of dispair when your Natl team loses (or fails qualification to the finals :mad: :) and who needs that kind of depression in one's life...unless of course you are Argentinian and your team is always among the best...oh wait..they just lost a game as well ;) I guess the life of the superfluously dedicated fan can be a tortured one indeed.
Well said. I realised this after the Korea loss. Man for the last few months my thoughts were consumed with Poland and the WC. I was devastated after we lost, but something kind of dawned on me and I realized that it is JUST a game. Well, much more than any other sport, but still just a game. I had to get a sense of reality back into my life. Man i came to work the last few months not to work, but to surf the net for any Polish NT info! It is quite hard though, especially after 16 years in footballing darkness.

Have to move on with life and not let this game affect you so much. Now i will treat it as entertainment (well, as much as I can), and not a tragic life experience.

Anyway, after 16 years of appearing nowhere on the senior stage, Poland finally made it and gave Poles footballing hope once again. Hopefully we can learn from our many mistakes, and qualify for Euro 2004.

JESZCZE POLSKA NIEZGINELA!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
hey guys...i'm sorry that you weren't able to go through...i had picked you guys second behind my portugal....good luck against the US...i'm sure i'll see a better poland as there will not be the pressure there...you guys can go out and play as you did in the qualifying.....

also..i notice many of you are from Toronto, which is where i'm from....you guys are more than welcome to come party on College street if we beat Korea....we portuguese welcome all to party with us...

good luck on the Euro qualifying....by the way...how does your upcoming young guys look??

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all the kind words, guys... :)

As to Euro qualifiers... Well, we still have some relatively young material, but the question is whether we will have a team. And it's probably less than possible with most of the names from the current squad.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well i guess now we start a new topic and start all over again who is most likely to be our team for the euro 2004 qualifiers. Whether any new will be added and if so who and why!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent idea :) And it's rather inevitable consequence of our disastrous performance in the WC... We need a review of players in each formation. I think we should make a new thread :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts