Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool's highest league position this year has been fifth.

Last year he finished fifth, they didn't even hit second spot.

Do you think it could get worse?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The league is 20 odd teams long and we're 5th, OF COURSE IT COULD GET WORSE!!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
No it can't get worse to be honest. We should NEVER be lower than first!

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Ofcourse it cant get any worse ! 5th or 9th it's all the same =Shite.Because we are Liverpool FC not Bolton as you Cardiff and Razor like to think and anything but success or atleast a fecking hint of it is not good enough.

I know there's a minority of Liverpool fans that obviously want us to degenerate into a Spurs because that's the only conclusion i can come to with this Houllier's shit dont stink vile they come out with.

As far as im concerned if you support Gerard Houllier, you dont want us to suceed.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The question was can it get worse than 5th and the answer clearly is yes.

6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th.....relegation.

So while it's not great it CAN get worse.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What the bit where it says can it get worse than 5th?

Already have and the answer is yes, not sure what part your struggling to grasp?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
No use pursuing the whole concept of the question and the bigger picture of can it get anyworse in general.Can Liverpool be any shitter ? and... To many things to name.Now i will close my eyes and hope that you dissapear.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Awww bless.

The old, can't be bothered routine. Face it, it can get alot worse than 5th relegation for example. You can fool yourself that 5th is the be all and end all but it's not.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Let's face it, We arent going to get relegated and theres a good chance we wont drop behind sixth for the rest of the season.But we are Liverpool FC and it cant get much worse.For the Mancs, Arse and Chelsea could 5th be much worse ? No.So you must think that we dont belong in that bracket.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
of course you don't belong there,but neither do Spurs belong where they are,they and Everton were one of "the big five" not so long ago ;)

crap transfer dealings and mismanagement got them where they are,i don't think Liverpool will fall forever but if the bottom falls out of football financiallly it can easily happen.

of course it can also get worse for United,Arsenal and Chelsea as well though if we appoint an idiot as coach ,so it's a bit of a no-debate really :D

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys I just realised that I didn't clarify myself properly.

Liverpool are a HUGELY reputable club, all over the world!

However last season they finished fifth.

This season thier HIGHEST POSITION is fifth!

Liverpool have excellent players and the money continues to be spent. How is it then that your not doing so well?

What I'm asking you is whether or not Liverpool with a good squad who made progress when GH took over have deteriorated, if so, why?

Could it get worse? Are you just going back to where you started?
I have my opinions but what do Liverpool fans think?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Firenze, with the amount of quality in the squad, money, power and reputation the worst case scenario for us should be sitting 4th and trying to outjump the top 3. So, that should be our bottom base and no manager should be given more than 5 years to win the title, granted that during those 5 years his team puts up a serious challenge for the title each year. Anything that falls below that category is a total and utter failure!

Roy Evans inherited a mid-table mediocre squad and made them top 3 right away. But the management's patience ran out after 4 years and he was asked to leave cuz although top3 but he failed to win the title and there was very little reason to believe that we would win the league had he stayed for another year. I was very sad to see him go but just like everybody I did understand that a club like ours can not afford not to move forward.

Now, with all that said, how is it possible that a new manager walks in, takes over a top 3 squad with some of the best players in the country playing some of the best football, and makes us walk between 11 and 5 place for a second year running and from what it looks like is given unlimited amount of years to do so? Let's say he gets his 4th place and that's after 6 years in charge, what's next? Are there signs that we'll be on the course for the title come next season? Even the real muppets understand that's impossible. So, what's up then? Another battle for the 4th place? In the name of what if I may ask? Only for the sake of keeping this inept coach on our payroll?

This was Anfield... 6 years and counting...

·
Registered
197 Posts
yes it can get worse. like all u guys are saying we've got some of the best players in the country (or even the world), and cant even get to 4th place. We've got the players BUT not the goals???
it all comes down to management, Gerard Houllier hasn't succeeded in bringing us any more titles, so KICK him out.
We've got the players, but the manager doesnt know how to use them.

IMO opinion Chelsea is a weaker team then us,they started buying players like crazy, the team hasnt really bonded yet or developed a strong communication with each other,
BUt Ranieri somehow knows how to use the players at the right moment, and make the team gel together!!!...

it all comes down to management, we gave Houllier a strong team and he couldnt do anything with it, so KICK him out!!!:fero:

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no7 said:
IMO opinion Chelsea is a weaker team then us
Interesting, I haven't once thought about this. Let's see:

Kirkland

Hyypia
Carragher
Henchoz

Kewell
Gerrard
Murphy
Partridge

Smicer

Owen
Baros

Now Chelsea:

Cudicini

Johnson
Terry
Bridge

Duff
Lampard
Makalele
Gronkjaer

Cole (or Mutu)

Hasselbaink
Crespo

Both have good sides. Liverpool definately have the better strikeforce, what do all of you others think?

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I think you have a very strange player selection and put out 3 man defenses when both uses 4.

I would say that chelsea is clearly stronger squadwise, especially if you take squad depth into account. I would say that the only part that Liverpool is better on is the defense if they use their best one with double H in the middle and at least one offensive on the sides (Finnan, Riise). But the deciding department is creative midfielders where Chelsea win big.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
We don't have the best players in the country, however what we should have is the best team of players. Actually we should have the best players as well but Houllier has more or less destroyed most of the potentially excellent and sometime expensive players.

Chelsea team just came all together al of a sudden and struggle to gel. No doubt they have the better players but we have the edge in that like Arsenal most of our players have been around for quite sometime.

The reason why Chelsea is lagging behind Arsenal and Man U is that yes tehy can buy terrific players but the players they buy is only as good as what Arsenal and Man U have or at best slightly better. Duff isn't a significant improvement over Giggs or Pires, Bridge over Cole of O Shea isn't either. Mutu can't be better the Henry, Makelele is at best as good as Vieria and Keane. Unless they sign Zidane, Nedved, they are at best only slightly better then Man U and Arsenal in terms of playing quality. The difference is in that Arsenal and Man U has gelled well together.

Now you take Liverpool most of the starters were around for quite a long time, Hamann, Henchoz, Hyypia, Owen, Gerrard, Heskey, etc etc. We should have a basis in the team but the team play like strangers and not like Arsenal.

Even if our playing staff is not as good as Chelsea and Arsenal (I wonder why), the players certainly should have the understanding between each other. If this hasn't make us as good as the top three then we have failed badly.

Why did this happen.

Tactics

6 seasons, most of it spending playing with backs to the wall hasn't creating the necessary telepathy between the players. The players need to know where each others are when they attack or defend. Our style have mainly consist of long balls finding Heskey and Owen to chose and lots of mass defending. The players had a hard time getting a feel of the team as a whole.

Chopping and Changing

Although the team is a lot settled now (due to injures). If GH has 20 fit players he will use them all and this prevents us. These players are not Chelsea or Madrid's players who can change games on their own. Our players are the good, skillful players like Smicer, Baros who when play together can form a solid cohesive team provided they do not fall pray under the rotation system. For the past 6 seasons, he has been doing that.

Players out of position

Biscan at right wing, Smicer at left wing lots more examples.

Lack of a solid playmaker

Jari Litmanen aside (who will make an average Liverpool side look world class on his day). No one is a playmaker in Liverpool. We need someone to get the ball spray it to the onrushing players wide, forward, defence splitting, etc. Gerrard is no playmaker unfortunately, he may be good at the long passes and forward run, but he doesn't have the coolness and the tactical ability for that position. But he is a brilliant player, just a different kind of brilliance that's all. With Hamann, Gerrard position settled and Kewell position on the left more of less settled. We have to look at the players who occupy the remaining position and see what's is preventing the team from clicking together. Heskey and Diouf and occasionally Murphy. Good hardworking players yes but if you have players like Kewell, Gerrard, Riise, Finnan and a good right midfielder who can so easily come foreward, it is quite important to have a 2nd striker who can drop deep play the important ball with ease. We don't and our attack usually fall apart quite easily.

Plus Owen is a mobile striker, Baros and Pongolle too, it is important we must have someone who can maintain a high standard of playmaking to injuct fluidity into the team via Arsenal style.

It is not as if we are like Man U or Newcastle who have a big target man upfront and needs wingers and full backs with good crossing ability hence dispensing the essential need for the 10 and a half although it would be good, it is not necessary.

About the 5th position

Its a disaster no doubt. And yes it can get worse.

We may be 5th but we are 12 points from the relegation zone and 14 points to Chelsea. Right now Charlton is pulling clear and is ahead by 5 points in no man's land while we are on leaders of the 2nd Division of the EPL. (2 clear divisions in the league)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts