Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lazio joy at Poborsky U-turn

Czech Republic star Karel Poborsky has changed his mind about retiring at the end of the season and announced that he wants to sign a new contract with Lazio.

The former Manchester United midfielder suggested earlier in the season that he would quit football in the summer after losing his passion for the game, but he revealed on Tuesday that he has had a change of heart.

"I intend to start negotiations with Lazio about a possible extension of my contract," confirmed the 29-year-old.

"Naturally I've told the club about the offers I have received from AC Milan and Parma. But I also told them that I've moved enough times in my career and don't fancy another move – and certainly not a move to another country."

Poborsky spent much of the first half of the season on the sidelines, but his run in the first-team coincided with a run of five straight league wins in November and early December that shot the club up the table and into contention for a Champions' League place.

Lazio were winless in five matches until last weekend's 5-0 thrashing of Perugia – and Poborsky revealed that the win was down to a more positive approach. "There's been no resurrection on my side," he told Czech newspaper Sport.

"At the start of the season I just trained and waited for my chance. The 3-5-2 formation that coach Zaccheroni used earlier in the season had two defenders patrolling the flanks.

"But after failures in the league and elimination from the Champions' League, the coach announced that a change had to be made. So we switched to 4-4-2. He put me back in my usual position and since then I've played regularly."

Now the former Benfica star is setting his sights on playing Champions' League football again next season. "That has to be our objective now –- to finish in the top four in Serie A and get into the Champions' League," he said.

"We're seventh at the moment, but we have a game in hand. That game in hand is a difficult one against the ambitious Chievo, but if we win that we'd be just two points off fourth place," he added.

Poborsky also confirmed on Tuesday that he will be available for selection should the new Czech Republic coach Karel Bruckner want to pick him. "My international career depends how my situation at Lazio develops," explained Poborsky. "I've told Bruckner that I want to play.

"If he wants me for the tournament in Cyprus in February, then I will go. I don't think that will be a problem for my club because the games take place on weekdays."

In November, Poborsky stunned the Roman club by revealing that he would take a break from football. "I would like to stop for at least two years, and try to do something different in my life," he said. "I don't want to become a coach. I want to find a job outside the football world."

onefootball.com

-------------------------------------

I am really happy for this,Pobo..espicialy since Zac became Lazio's coach,he had shown his class as a player.He's a integral part of the team,and i am really happy for this news:angel:!

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Poborsky to stay at Lazio!!

From onefootball.com

Czech Republic star Karel Poborsky has changed his mind about retiring at the end of the season and onnounced that he wants to sign a new contract with Lazio.

The former Manchester United midfielder suggested earlier in the season that he would quit football in the summer after losing his passion for the game, but he revealed on Tueday that he has had a change of heart.

"I intend to start negotiations with Lazio about a possible extension of my contract", confirmed the 29-year-old.

"Naturally I've told the club about the offers I have received from AC Milan and Parma. But I als told them that I've moved enough times in my career and don't fancy another move - and certainly not a move to another country."

Lazio were winless in five matches until last weekend's 5-0 thrashing of Perugia - and Poborsky revealed that the win was down to a more positive approach. "There's been no resurrection on my side," he told Czech newspaper Sport.

Poborsky also confirmed on Tuesday that he will be avilable for selection should the new Czech Republic coach Karel Bruckner want to pick him. "My international career depends how my situation at Lazio develops," explained Poborsky. "I've told Bruckner that I want to play".

·
International
6,519 Posts
That's great news ! :eek:

I somekind of knew he would have signed a new contract. He is a good player and invaluabale member of our team. He has shown his class in last 3 games indeed and it would be a loss to loose him.

Great ! Now we could only pray that the same as with Nedved won't happen... :scary:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matjaz or any Moderator on line,can you please edit this thread subject,i accedently wrote Poborsky twice and it looks silly:eek: :D....Grazie in advance:)!

·
Registered
518 Posts
As I know, another Mancheser United right midfielder is on the edge now. It's exciting.

A PROBLEM, how to quote what you said.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Poborsky future at Lazio back in balance

Thursday 24th January 2002

Karel Poborsky's future at Lazio is back in doubt after his agent revealed that vice-president Massimo Cragnotti has so far failed to convince the midfielder to stay.

De Giorgis appears to be stoking up a bidding war between three of Serie A's leading lights after Poborsky revealed that he had been approached by AC Milan and Parma.

And the agent warned that Poborsky, whose contract expires in June, will not wait around for long.

"Karel has had important offers from clubs in Italy and, if Lazio don't contact us soon, we won't always be in a position to turn down those important proposals," he said.

The 29-year-old had considered retiring at the end of the season, but revealed on Tuesday that he now hopes to negotiate a new deal with the Rome club.

Cragnotti, however, faces a difficult five months as he attempts to reduce the Lazio wage bill as part of the club's cost-cutting plans. His task will be made all the more difficult should Lazio fail to qualify for the Champions' League.

"Poborsky met vice-president Massimo Cragnotti on his own but he should probably not accept this meeting, because Cragnotti's offer left us completely disappointed," De Giorgis said.

"It's not just a problem of money, we just want to be sure that coach Alberto Zaccheroni wants to keep him in his squad and believes in his ability."

Poborsky spent much of the first half of the season on the sidelines, but his return to the first team coincided with a run of five straight league wins in November and early December that shot the club up the table and into Champions' League contention.

Lazio were winless in five matches until last weekend's 5-0 thrashing of Perugia – and Poborsky revealed that the win was down to a more positive approach. "There's been no resurrection on my side," he told Czech newspaper Sport.

"At the start of the season I just trained and waited for my chance. The 3-5-2 formation that coach Zaccheroni used earlier in the season had two defenders patrolling the flanks.

"But after failures in the league and elimination from the Champions' League, the coach announced that a change had to be made, so we switched to 4-4-2. He put me back in my usual position and since then I've played regularly."

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Well i dont think he'll get many chances to play in Milan. Parma, well probably......

But he wants to stay with Lazio:) ...and thats the most important thing.

We need more of those in our ranks.:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts