Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little XT plee.

If any of you know the story behind the 1973 Cup winners Cup then you will know how disgraceful the corruption in that game was.

In order to reverse the result the MEP for Yorkshire has set up a petition to be sent to UEFA for them to reverse the result of this game after the referee was proven to be corrupt.

http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/leedsunitedpetition.htm

For people who dont know the story or dont believe it, this is how it goes.

This is from the website

"In 1973 Leeds United were cheated out of the European Cup Winners' Cup. Referee Christos Michas made a series of outrageous decisions in the final which allowed Milan to clinch a narrow 1-0 victory in Thessalonik. Michas's performance was considered so dubious UEFA banned him from refereeing international games for life. Few doubt Milan bribed the Greek official but they were allowed to keep the trophy.

Bribery in any form of sport is completely unacceptable and results which have been tainted by match-fixing must be reversed if sport is to retain its integrity. UEFA can show its commitment to fair play by dealing with breaches of it seriously.

Please sign my petition to UEFA which demands an investigation into the match and to award the 1973 Cup Winners' Cup to Leeds should evidence be found the match was fixed.

The petition will be handed to UEFA on May 16th, the 36th anniversary of the final. "

And the wikipedia page

"The season 1972-73 of the European Cup Winners' Cup football club tournament was won by AC Milan after a 1-0 victory against Leeds United at the Kaftanzoglio Stadium, Thessaloniki, in Greece. Milan's victory was blemished by the poor refereeing of Christos Michas, who made several dubious decisions in favour of the Italian side, and who eventually sent off Norman Hunter for Leeds. The crowd at the final was so incensed by the combination of Michas' arguably one-sided refereeing and the Italians' game-killing, defensive tactics, that they threw missiles at the Milan players when they attempted their lap of triumph. Instead, for the first and last time in the history of the trophy, the losing side took a lap of honor around the field, with the Leeds players receiving applause from the local sets of fans.

Michas was subsequently investigated by the Greek FA, on suspicion that he'd accepted a bribe by Milan. He was banned by UEFA from refereeing on international level again. Leeds United attempted to gain a replay but their request was denied by UEFA"

Please sign the petition and help get justice for the team the deserves it.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Only a Leeds fan, with nothing else to think about (winning games, playing well, enjoying watching their team play) would care about a trophy from 1973 in competition that does not even exist anymore.

·
Registered
59,859 Posts
Why isn't this in the Milan forum? :lala:

:tongue:

I'm familiar with this story, yes.

Anyway, nice effort from that Corbett dude and you asked nicely so I signed.

This person supports Richard's Leeds Utd campaign. Name: Ahmed Hossam

address: Dokki

town: Cairo

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
This person supports Richard's Leeds Utd campaign.

Name: G. Facchetti ohh wait I mean Pulsar, no actually CurvaNordInter, wait I mean Mourinho ohh wait I didn't change my name to that yet nevermind please ignore like you never saw it

address: Piazza Duomo

town: Milano

postcode: Who knows

·
Registered
45,385 Posts

Name: Bob W The Bat

address: Under Ron Moss' Umbrella

town: Canada

postcode: -

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
OK do have a thread in World Football too.

ALL the fair minded people are there to support this cause...

I already inform ALL my contacts digg, faceb, linkedin, propeller

Only pathetic cheats do not do the right thing.. and we know who they are...

·
Registered
13,397 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
your post is awesome...but why in our forum? :confused:

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
This is great.....great thread. Bob is all for this.
I knew it. Which is why I filled out the form on your behalf. No need to thank me. Your wife already did.

Name: Bob W The Bat

address: Under Ron Moss' Umbrella

town: Canada

postcode: -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts