Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, here's the chance for you to list players you would have liked to see in the England squad but didn't make it, and tell us why they should be included. They could be players from smaller clubs, even lower division ones, who you may think are top class and deserve at least a chance.

I'll start the list off:

Jason Dodd (DF, Southampton): IMHO a quality right-back who is one of the better of his type in the Premiership, and a consistent performer for Southampton down the years, also demonstrating leadership qualities.

Michael Carrick (MD, West Ham): an excellent midfielder who had a very good season and is deserving of an England chance.

Dadid Dunn (MD, Blackburn): another outstanding midfielder, and as a matter of fact could be the playmaker England has really needed.

Kevin Nolan (MD, Bolton): another quality midfielder who's had a good season.

James Beattie (FW, Southampton): could boost England's attacking options.

Jermaine Defoe (FW, West Ham): as above

Of these, Dodd and Bridge would fill a major gap in the England team IMHO while Dunn could yet fill another as a highly skilled central playmaker.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dodd is no way international class, he should never be allowed in an England shirt. I agree with the rest though, apart from Beattie. Beattie is good but IMO not good enough. Carrick, Nolan and Dunn are brilliant players but they are still young and our squad is inexperienced enough. Defoe is brilliant and younger than the ones above so he'll have enough time in the future. There are four players on stand by anyway before the WC in case of any injuries and Defoe is one of these so there is still a small possibility he could go to the WC.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Michael Carrick- He's always impressed me whenever I watch West Ham games.

Alan Smith- Provides toughness and could goad opposing defenders into getting yellow cards.

Steve McManaman- A smart player who has more experience than the other LM's.

Jermaine Defoe- Could one day be the best forward in the EPL.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
ledley king and ricketts...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
* Beattie FOR Vassell
* Smith FOR Sherringham
* Dunn FOR Murphy
* L. King FOR Southgate

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Giggsy ;)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I don't know... I think that the England squad is almost right... notice that I do say ALMOST....

There is no way in hell that McManaman should not be in there and I am shocked at the way that he has been treated. He would have had massive experience with his two CL medals and fill in every midfield postion if needed. He would be in for Murphy.

I also agree with David Dunn being in there as back up though instead of Trever Sinclair.

Apart from that the players going deserve to be there... I know that Sherringham and Keown can be questioned but we need their experience and they still have a lot to offer.

Vassell has proved to me and Sven that he is good enough to go after impressing in every England game he has played in.

Mills and Brown are the best right backs after Neville although I still would have liked to have seen what Dyer would have been like there...

I dream about this somedays:

_____Seaman

___Rio Sol Southgate
Dyer__________ A Cole

__Beckham Gerrard
______Scholes
____Owen Fowler

I think that it would have worked but too late now... Dyer and Cole have not been tested there and Gerrard was very important to the system working:(

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Firstly Giggs- why does he have to be welsh ? :(

Steve McManaman- It's a joke esspecially when a ****e players like Sinclair are considered.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Didn't he play for England at some level when he was younger, but then chose Wales?
i believe so, bad career move IMO, should of stayed at England, then our midfield would be without a doubt the best in the world :tongue:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Giggs represented England at schoolboy level

Murphy has apparently picked up an injury so maybe a replacement will be called in. Sinclair has gone home and that has probably angered Eriksson. Dunn is one of the stand-bys so maybe, just maybe, he could be called up. I'm praying.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Steve McManaman
&
We all will miss GERRARD!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Don't piss me off by saying Giggs... the guy himself has said that he is annoyed at people sayin that he should have played for England.... the fact is that the only reaon that he played for England was the he was living in Manchester at the time and it was easier at the time...

basically he could not even qualify for paying for England so chill out on that one

·
International
9,526 Posts
pool_till_I_die said:
I don't know... I think that the England squad is almost right... notice that I do say ALMOST....

There is no way in hell that McManaman should not be in there and I am shocked at the way that he has been treated. He would have had massive experience with his two CL medals and fill in every midfield postion if needed. He would be in for Murphy.

well, I for one am not a fan of Macca. He is a good club player, but at international level, he hides. He has been a liability. He doesn't track back, his passing is askew and he runs himself into holes and corners. He doesn't contribute, in my opinion. I'm not impressed with him, and would rather see Sinclair there.

I'd have liked to have seen Matt Jansen given a chance in the squad. Other than that, I guess its pretty much as close to an alround mix as injuries will allow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts