Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know what I mean,the moroccan players in Holland, the african players in France, the Croats in Australia, the turks in Germany to name a few...

Who do you think they should play for?

the countries that gave them & their parents the chance for a better life, who nurtured them as players in their youth academies, and presented them with better experience & exposure in their leagues

Or

their home country, that they feel more passionate about,and can relate to more closely

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Whatever they feel is home to them. They should not play for a country just because of pressure, but look deep into their heart and mind and see what nationality they really feel they belong to. I know it is hard for people who dont have that kind of a background to understand, because to you it feels natural to chose the country that give you all the rights, but when you are influenced by one culture at home and one the society feels you should belong to then it makes the matter a far more complicated. Because then it becomes a question of way of life aswell as loyalty to your familys homeland. Integration is just an another way of assimilation...A more long term version of it.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I think it's an individual choice, independently of the reasons they may have to choose one or the other: sentimental or economical.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Arjen_Robben said:
you know what I mean,the moroccan players in Holland, the african players in France, the Croats in Australia, the turks in Germany to name a few...

Who do you think they should play for?

the countries that gave them & their parents the chance for a better life, who nurtured them as players in their youth academies, and presented them with better experience & exposure in their leagues

Or

their home country, that they feel more passionate about,and can relate to more closely
Their own country.

It's all about the money, do you think they'd be playing for another country if their own country provided them with the same opportunities? I think not.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Julian81 said:
Their own country.

It's all about the money, do you think they'd be playing for another country if their own country provided them with the same opportunities? I think not.
Whats your opinion on camnoresi playing for italy then..

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
And there is another aspect to this aswell, I personally feel that an immigrant can never be as respected as a player of from that country. Lets take an example from France who are known for having a large minority from Africa. A player like Zidane who has surpasses the other legend in the game Platini in every aspect of the game still is not considered as the the best ever. Many regard Platini as a better player then Zidane even if Zidane has proven otherwise (3 times player of the world). If people from that country get to chose two players, one immigrant and one from that country, with pretty similar qualities they will always choose the player with the same background as themselves.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that the only person who thinks Platini is better than Zidane is Platini himself, well maybe his mother too
Correct me if I am wrong but I had the feeling that Zidane is worshipped in France, anyone from France with an inside perspective can possibly clarify this.

IMHO Zidane would have never reached his current level if he had played for Algeria, in fact he would be playing in Qatar right now :D

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I think you'll find both Platini's scoring record and his performances in Italy wiped the floor with Zidane's statistics, FiFA McPlayer of the Universe of the Millenium statues nothwithstanding.

Besides, does Platini really sound all that French to you?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dubh-bán said:
I think you'll find both Platini's scoring record and his performances in Italy wiped the floor with Zidane's statistics, FiFA McPlayer of the Universe of the Millenium statues nothwithstanding.

Besides, does Platini really sound all that French to you?
Comparing both names Zinedine Zidane sounds more like something from another planet, and Platini seems alot more french when coupled with Michel

There are lots of french players with italian names Pedretti, Squillacci, Flamini, and they don't strike me as less french in any way

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
tomasz radsinski plays for canada :D

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
This thread has surely opened a nutshell, but im afraid whatever anyone says it cant be answered.Sure i wish that Christian Vieri, Craig Johnson, Josip Simunic and Ante Seric chose Austrlia but we cant exactly get into there heads whether there decision is morally right or success orientated.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Julian81 said:
Their own country.
But that is the point, isn't it? Which country is their own country, its a matter of individual choice, imo.

I always equate this to my son, he has dual nationality and feels allegiance to two countries, if he were good enough to be capped or represent either country in some international competition, I think it would have to be up to him to choose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts