Xtratime Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working with a dude from Liberia and of course it came up that I am a Milan fan and of course he is a George WEah fan. Today we were talking about football and different african talents and I mentioned Jay0Jay Okocha (one of my faves) and he said something that I think is one of the great quotes regarding a player. He said (with a smile on his face) that watching Okocha made him want to go out and play football. I cannot think of a better expression of the pure joy of playing the game that what this man said today. So, I ask you; which player or players make you want to go out and kick the ball around after you watch them play? Please add a bit about why you choose this player. The quickie name only post is a real buzz kill.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
I'm afraid no player ever made me want to play the game. For me it has always been the ball. I just loved chasing around that damn ball. However certain players have given me the aspiration to play like them & those would be our legendary back line: Franco, Billy, Paolo & Sandro.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Watching Zidane always makes me want to go juggle the ball. The way he seems in full control was always inspiring. The old Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were huge influences on me as well.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watching Zidane always makes me want to go juggle the ball. The way he seems in full control was always inspiring. The old Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were huge influences on me as well.

Zidane is one of mine, too. So are Francescoli, Okocha and Riquelme; guys who could just make the ball talk. I suppose Maradona is the tops for me. Just watching him juggle the ball makes me want to go outside and mess around with my ball. As for Zidane, I am not sure where he ranks in the all time greats and some dipshits around XT like to claim that he really wasn;t all that great (overrated...Ha!!) but what I do know if that I miss him playing deeply. I don't know what else to say than that other than I looked forward to each weekend because I knew they would be showing Real Madrid and Zidane.

I am not talking about wanting to play because you saw some dude on TV. I am not talking about personal inspiration. I am talking about watching somebody play and it was so joyous that you felt like running outside, grabbing your ball and playing with it.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
I am not talking about wanting to play because you saw some dude on TV. I am not talking about personal inspiration. I am talking about watching somebody play and it was so joyous that you felt like running outside, grabbing your ball and playing with it.
Isn't that the same? Watch a dude on TV & go play. Watch a dude on TV be so happy that you go grab a ball or run.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Watching Jay Jay Okocha made me start my FIFA game and sign him for my club :tongue:

The joy or the inspiration to go out and play after the game usualy came after some important victory, and I used to think of myself as new-Maldini :stuckup:

·
Registered
16,465 Posts
I made a fairly long post but somehow I managed to delete it. The caffeine hasnt knocked me out of my semi-comatose state yet.

As a young boy I played centre back/sweeper and fullback and naturally emulated Maldini and Baresi, but as I grew older I started to play more and more attacking and for a while played as a right wing. When Ronaldo came on to the scene it changed the way I look at football. Despite all the great champions prior to Ronaldo none had inspired me like he does. Watching him pick up the ball from the halfway line and dribble several players at pace before scoring made me want to instantly play as a centre forward. From that point I modelled my game on him and to my joy it worked pretty well too. I became good at scoring goals, using my pace to get by people and good at the stepover. Not only had I developed a new joy for watching football but developed a greater joy for playing it. Countless evenings in the summer I would practise his stepover on my own in the backyard. It was around then (1997) that I also became a fan of Brazilian football. Despite the qualities of guys like Romario it never really struck me but Ronaldo (coupled with Rivaldo) made me fall in love with their game.

For a lot of people I'm sure it was the same, as the frenzied atmosphere in football when Ronaldo broke on to the scene was everywhere. I remember going on holiday during summer 98 and so many guys wearing Brazil or Barcelona tops with his name on the back. No players has had such an influence on me or on the game of football since Ronaldo. Just typing this now I feel like grabbing my skills ball and practising that stepover in my house.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
My very first role model was Maradona in the 1990 World Cup. But I was a kid then and football didn't stick. In my teenage years I got into it again and then it was Del Piero and Zidane. I once had the chance to watch them warm up just passing the ball between them and it was awe inspiring how many interesting things you can do with the ball just passing it back and forth.

Another influence on me was Guardiola, albeit in a very particular way. There was a Nike commercial many years ago with a bunch of players breaking into a building to steal a ball (Van Gaal, Guardiola, lots of others, and above all Davids who was the star of it). In one of the scenes Guardiola receives a very lofty pass with a single motion, it lands dead on his foot, no bounce. When I first saw it I thought it was a movie trick, but then I practiced it a lot and realized I could do it.

I also learned to do Ronaldinho's elastico, but I could never get enough friction on the ball to pull it back far enough, so it's more like a distraction in my case than a dribble.

Greatest influence overall has to be Zidane. He was unique to have a style that was so incredibly fluid you really thought he couldn't mess up. His moves were never sudden or forced, it was like Bach. I tried to imitate that and still when I play (which is rare nowadays) that is the mindset I have.

·
Registered
18,344 Posts
pirlo, nesta, emerson, totti, rui costa, JZ

and inzaghi of course, gives impression everyone can play at highest level :pp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.