Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you really think about this?I mean sure player's score goal's against their old club's but do th fan's really care whether they celebrate or not,does it make any difference?It just seem's some sort of trend that's been followed down the year's but player's even after short stint's at club's don't celebrate goal's at their new club's against their old club's.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I understand it, they want to show respect for fans and a club they've had an affiinity to. It can hurt to see a former favourite celebrating like a madman against you, and can anger too. I remember how Paul Dickov celebrated against City, it was not pleasant.

·
Administrator
52,968 Posts
I respect the practice. But the most peculiar case of it was lately Amauri scoring against Napoli. As usual I respect the gesture, but he played in Napoli 7-8 years AGO :D To boot, he was just a youngster at loan there who hardly ever got to play for them, so I really didnt understand the courtesy as much in this case, hehe.

Such a long time since last, his role in the club then and such...I dont really think the Napoli fans would have been offended if he celebrated.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Well you can't not expect him to celebrate a 40-yarder. Especially against a club that never gave him a chance in the first place.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I'm sure he loves Arsenal for what they gave him growing up, but he's entitled to feel a bit hard done by because he was never really given a fair crack of the whip. And he's clearly shown since leaving that he was good enough to be given a chance.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
he was given a few chances, unfortunate for him but he just didnt fit in with wenger's football philsophy- just not enough pace and movement which is evident in our attacking play these days., arsene did him the world of good by sending him on loan to norwich, instead of just letting him rot in the reserves.

we just had too much quality for him to get in our team, still he wouldnt get in the team. im not sure why he is so bitter towards us- hes always thought he is better than he actually is- remember that time he refused an england u21 call up- what a tool.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I respect the practice. But the most peculiar case of it was lately Amauri scoring against Napoli. As usual I respect the gesture, but he played in Napoli 7-8 years AGO :D To boot, he was just a youngster at loan there who hardly ever got to play for them, so I really didnt understand the courtesy as much in this case, hehe.

Such a long time since last, his role in the club then and such...I dont really think the Napoli fans would have been offended if he celebrated.
Doesn't a gesture like this ultimately say more about how the player feels towards his past club than the other way around? That's the way I see it, at least. Obviously Napoli meant a lot to Amauri - maybe more than just professionally - clearly meaningful enough to compel him to not celebrate a goal.

Players who celebrate goals against teams where they once played are only expressing how much that experience really meant to them (and sometimes contradicting their own past expressions of loyalty, like kissing the shirt's badge to seduce the fans). But if the guy never specifically expressed any undying loyalty to his previous club, and working there was just a job, why not celebrate scoring against them? We fans often like to project our own passion for our clubs onto the players who happen to wear the jerseys; but unfortunately, most pro players do not share the fans' strong personal ties towards the clubs. And nowhere is that professional distance expressed more clearly than when a player scores against a team that he once defended.

If the player has personal ties to that club, or its fans, or just friends on the other side, he may naturally find less enjoyment in scoring against them than he would against a team he didn't care about. But I don't think a player has any sort of obligation towards the fans of a club that he once played for; it's not the players' problem if we fans get pissed when past idols celebrate goals against us.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be funny if an ex player goes to his old supporter's and flashe's a nice moon at them.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I think it suck. You need to respect your new club because they are paying your salary. Imagine scoring a 40 yard stunner and then bottling it all in to show some respect on a club you used to play for. That suck!

·
A true hero
31,410 Posts
It's classy, but it depends on the situation. If you're getting booed and vilified like Bentley was, and probably didn't feel loved at Arsenal in the first place, then I can see why you'd celebrate.

Far easier for Henrik or Tevez to not celebrate when their every touch is still getting cheered by their old fans.

I was a little dissapointed in Forlan celebrating against Villarreal, though.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I can understand it if a player played at the club for a long time, sure!

Butthe example where he was a youngster, didnt get a chance, was sold, then he doesnt celebrate---piffff!

Also I can understand the celebration from the ex arsenal player when he scored that blinder for tottenham... hell I would be celebrating like that also especiall if not given the chance at the ex club.

So to answer - I respect it in some cases but think its a joke in other cases ;)

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
What do you really think about this?I mean sure player's score goal's against their old club's but do th fan's really care whether they celebrate or not,does it make any difference?It just seem's some sort of trend that's been followed down the year's but player's even after short stint's at club's don't celebrate goal's at their new club's against their old club's.
Its an individual choice. The player neednt do it for the camera.

Even Shevchenko, who kissed Chelsea's badge caused a significant 'displeasure' ....from fans of his old club., then he apologised for it. Not even playing against them.

So how would the fans not care about such things.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Why? It's up to each individual to celebrate if they want it or not. It can be seen as a lack of respect to his current fans that he doesn't celebrate his goals (even though they usually understand it), but he always celebrates his goals together with a guy who's in the crowd.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
It's classy, but it depends on the situation. If you're getting booed and vilified like Bentley was, and probably didn't feel loved at Arsenal in the first place, then I can see why you'd celebrate.

Far easier for Henrik or Tevez to not celebrate when their every touch is still getting cheered by their old fans.

Yes, I think Forlán didn't show class, because Villarreal put him in the map again and it's not that the fans abused him.

In any case, it's a personal choice, the feeling of the moment. I would understand any choice. It's not a big deal.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
How did Ronaldo celebrate scoring against his rivals/ex club? Thats the way to do it... :)

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
It's a nice gesture. It probably means more to those players who've only played for a couple of clubs. A guy like Vieri could never celebrate if he followed this custom.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
he was given a few chances, unfortunate for him but he just didnt fit in with wenger's football philsophy- just not enough pace and movement which is evident in our attacking play these days., arsene did him the world of good by sending him on loan to norwich, instead of just letting him rot in the reserves.

we just had too much quality for him to get in our team, still he wouldnt get in the team. im not sure why he is so bitter towards us- hes always thought he is better than he actually is- remember that time he refused an england u21 call up- what a tool.
He'd fit into your team as a right winger more than Eboue :yuck:

·
A true hero
31,410 Posts
Why? It's up to each individual to celebrate if they want it or not. It can be seen as a lack of respect to his current fans that he doesn't celebrate his goals (even though they usually understand it), but he always celebrates his goals together with a guy who's in the crowd.
Because Villarreal made him, he was seriously damaged goods when he went there, and they had faith in him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts