Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which player's can you clearly identify as having clearly gone for the money from one club to the other and fo forth,only to find they went downhill or their career's took a real nosedive.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Cassano to Real comes to mind...in fact you could say a few players Real have spent big on have failed over the years. You can put Inter in that boat to for that matter.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I suppose Gilardino at Milan is also an example.

But this question is hard to answer exactly because salaries are not always reflected by transfer fees and the huge stars earn more from nike/adidas sponsorship than from their club wages.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
nice thread mate. :thumbsup:

actually some names come to mind at the moment,
e.g,

cassano to real madrid.
owen to real madrid.
sheva to chelsea.

all of them had a huge drop and nosedive in their level, i can say they failed there while they had been brilliant impact at roma, liverpool and milan. :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I don't think Sheva's case was clearly for the money - Didn't his wife make him move? :)

Veron to United is also another one.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Can we consider players going for New Challenges....where the responsibility of performances are much higher. To test themselves further...

Rather than consider them as ......'just Money' Alone.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice thread mate. :thumbsup:

actually some names come to mind at the moment,
e.g,

cassano to real madrid.
owen to real madrid.
sheva to chelsea.

all of them had a huge drop and nosedive in their level, i can say they failed there while they had been brilliant impact at roma, liverpool and milan. :)
Thank's dude much appreciated:thumbsup:,I don't really agree with the Gila one I know it sound's because I'm a Milanista.But the guy done his sort of an apprenticeship and seemed ready to take the step up and when a big club come's knocking what do you do?Hence A10 I see your point also so I see it as really hard to distinguish between the two,maybe what we perceive them as doing more going for the money or a new challenge or both.Robinho although to me just stand's out far to easy as having gone for the cash.:greed:

At the end of the day I don't have a problem with that or care what choice's the player make's,perhap's a bit more if it's a player from my club leaving or supposedly snubbing that's a little different.But I'm more just talking as a topic of discussion that's all.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
I don't think Sheva's case was clearly for the money - Didn't his wife make him move? :)

Veron to United is also another one.
both he did accept chelsea`s money and his wife wanted to live in london. however focus more on the 2nd reason because he is in milan now once again which means to me his wife had not been a strong reason.:)

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Thank's dude much appreciated:thumbsup:
you are welcome..:smileani:

i can give another example which didn`t go under your question.
a player like Batistuta when he left viola to roma, we could not say he left for money because there were richer clubs than roma. but i see him did the best and great efforts for the viola and he looked for some trophies before he retired. and i can consider his move to inter a bit as the same situation, didn`t it? :)

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Winston Bogarde

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Cassano to Real comes to mind...in fact you could say a few players Real have spent big on have failed over the years. You can put Inter in that boat to for that matter.
I suppose Gilardino at Milan is also an example.

But this question is hard to answer exactly because salaries are not always reflected by transfer fees and the huge stars earn more from nike/adidas sponsorship than from their club wages.
No. They're also going to massive clubs so you can't possibly say it was for the money.

Proper examples include someone like Lucarelli going to Shakhtar, Bangoura going to Kiev etc

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Castillo to Shakhtar

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
No. They're also going to massive clubs so you can't possibly say it was for the money.

Proper examples include someone like Lucarelli going to Shakhtar, Bangoura going to Kiev etc
Exactly what I wanted to say. Robinho for example if he failed at Man City would have been considered.

Sobis to UAE? I mean the guy is still so young yet he decided to go to retirement home :googly:

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Yeah, right. Of course it's mostly for the money, they are professionals after all. Money is by the most important factor for players when choosing a new club. If Real Madrid wasn't offering huge salaries for example, all their illustrious history and glory couldn't help them attract the best players.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Exactly what I wanted to say. Robinho for example if he failed at Man City would have been considered.

Sobis to UAE? I mean the guy is still so young yet he decided to go to retirement home :googly:
i considered him under the title of this thread even before he completes a season there, absolutely!

·
Registered
45,347 Posts
McManaman to Real. Petit to Barça. Becks to Galaxy?

Anelka tops the list though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts